OllieeH
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm currently struggling to decide whether to take human geography at either Reading or Swansea uni. To me I slightly prefer the look of the course at Swansea but I much prefer nearly everything else about Reading. You can also pick a lot more modules from other courses at Reading too, which I'm not sure how I feel about. If anyone has done either of these courses or human geography at another uni please tell me your feedback! thanks
ljb.95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I do Human Geography at Reading so feel free to ask any questions about the course or the place. Overall the course is good and its good to have the range of modules to pick from because it enables you to pick modules related to your interests. I picked a couple of modules from outside of the geography department this year which have been alright so far but next year im just going to choose modules from the geography department.
OllieeH
Rep:
?
(Original post by ljb.95)
Hi, I do Human Geography at Reading so feel free to ask any questions about the course or the place. Overall the course is good and its good to have the range of modules to pick from because it enables you to pick modules related to your interests. I picked a couple of modules from outside of the geography department this year which have been alright so far but next year im just going to choose modules from the geography department.
Hi, my main concern with human geography at Reading is that it feels like it goes down the scientific side of geography a lot more than the more human side. For example on here http://www.reading.ac.uk/progspecs/pdf14/UFGGHUM14.pdf it looks like the modules are mainly focusing on the environment more than say political geography. Is that the case for you? I have an interest in climate change and energy resources but I also want to do modules on political and health geographies, for example at Swansea they seem to be primarily focused on that side of human/political/ideolical geography, but dont have many modules on climate change and energy resources (http://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergradua...nt=is-expanded).

Also one other thing that slightly bothered was the low student satisfaction rates for the course, and that only 80% or something thought the course is interesting. How have you found the course? is it a lot more enjoyable than studying a level geography?

I hope this makes sense, and thanks a lot for replying, I'm a week away from deciding on my uni and im currently in a complete dilemma :L
ljb.95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by OllieeH)
Hi, my main concern with human geography at Reading is that it feels like it goes down the scientific side of geography a lot more than the more human side. For example on here http://www.reading.ac.uk/progspecs/pdf14/UFGGHUM14.pdf it looks like the modules are mainly focusing on the environment more than say political geography. Is that the case for you? I have an interest in climate change and energy resources but I also want to do modules on political and health geographies, for example at Swansea they seem to be primarily focused on that side of human/political/ideolical geography, but dont have many modules on climate change and energy resources (http://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergradua...nt=is-expanded).

Also one other thing that slightly bothered was the low student satisfaction rates for the course, and that only 80% or something thought the course is interesting. How have you found the course? is it a lot more enjoyable than studying a level geography?

I hope this makes sense, and thanks a lot for replying, I'm a week away from deciding on my uni and im currently in a complete dilemma :L
I'm more than happy to help. I completely avoided doing the more scientific and more physical geography modules this year. Many of my modules were about sustainability, environment etc.. I'll just list the ones i did for you...

Techniques in geography, Foundation in human geography, Principles & practice, Sustainability and prosperity in a globalising world, Humans & the environment, The economics of climate change, Environmental Issues, Earth structures and processes.

Foundation in Human Geography has a 5 week block on Political geography, 5 weeks of economic geography and also 5 week block of environmental development/governance. If you want anymore details about any of the content of any modules i'm more than happy to do so.

I enjoy the course here a lot now. It took me a while to get settled and feel like this is what i wanted to do but now i love it. Some of my work has had higher marks than other pieces but thats all part of the year, getting used to how to do it. I have enjoyed it more than a-level purely because i have made the year about my interests!

It's also worth noting that the Geography society is good as it does regular socials and 2nd & 3rd year students are willing to help you if you need it. Next year the society wants to improve the integration between 1st.2nd and 3rd years.

Hope you can pluck the info you want from this and feel free to ask whatever you want to know.
OllieeH
Rep:
?
I'm more than happy to help. I completely avoided doing the more scientific and more physical geography modules this year. Many of my modules were about sustainability, environment etc.. I'll just list the ones i did for you...

Techniques in geography, Foundation in human geography, Principles & practice, Sustainability and prosperity in a globalising world, Humans & the environment, The economics of climate change, Environmental Issues, Earth structures and processes.

Foundation in Human Geography has a 5 week block on Political geography, 5 weeks of economic geography and also 5 week block of environmental development/governance. If you want anymore details about any of the content of any modules i'm more than happy to do so.

I enjoy the course here a lot now. It took me a while to get settled and feel like this is what i wanted to do but now i love it. Some of my work has had higher marks than other pieces but thats all part of the year, getting used to how to do it. I have enjoyed it more than a-level purely because i have made the year about my interests!

It's also worth noting that the Geography society is good as it does regular socials and 2nd & 3rd year students are willing to help you if you need it. Next year the society wants to improve the integration between 1st.2nd and 3rd years.

Hope you can pluck the info you want from this and feel free to ask whatever you want to know.
Thanks a lot for replying, this has really helped. I didn't realize the compulsory modules went into a lot of detail in human geography so thats good to see. One other question I had was about the level of coursework. How have you found the amount of coursework that is set? because I looked and it said you normally do around 3000 word essay on each module. Having said that I do do a lot better in coursework than exams, but I don't know if I can be able to achieve high standards with the amount that is set?. Another question aside from the course is how have you found Reading as a place to live? One of the reasons I'm choosing it is because of its location and how near it is to London, but I was interested to see what its like living their? Thanks
ljb.95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks a lot for replying, this has really helped. I didn't realize the compulsory modules went into a lot of detail in human geography so thats good to see. One other question I had was about the level of coursework. How have you found the amount of coursework that is set? because I looked and it said you normally do around 3000 word essay on each module. Having said that I do do a lot better in coursework than exams, but I don't know if I can be able to achieve high standards with the amount that is set?. Another question aside from the course is how have you found Reading as a place to live? One of the reasons I'm choosing it is because of its location and how near it is to London, but I was interested to see what its like living their? Thanks
This summer I have four exams and did quite alot of coursework throughout the year. 70 out of my 120 credits for this year are already completed going into exams. 4 of my modules are 100% coursework. The max essay i did was 2000 and you tend to get 10% each way on the word count. The work you get also varies on the module, for example in Techniques you get a higher amount of assignments but they are smaller and you do them in practical sessions which are timetabled where as in sustainability I did one 2000 word essay, a debate and two reflective journals. I found that I did quite alot more work in the spring term compared to the autumn term. You get enough time to hand in assignments that you can pace yourself with them. At the end of spring term I had 7 assignments due within the last 10 days but they varied on task so it wasn't stressful. The majority of my work has ranged from 56 (2:2) to 73 (1st). I also know that I have got 69% 64% and 67% in three modules so you get what you put in. It's worth noting that the assignments or modules I did this year may be run differently next year.

I like Reading as a place. Fair to say that there is enough variety in nightclubs and bars etc.. The biggest club being on campus! and the oracle shopping center has pretty much all you can need. A return train ticket with a one day tube pass is 15.00 if you have a railcard. The halls here vary in standards and it depends on how much you are willing to spend on them. Regular buses leave from around campus and take you to town or where ever.
OllieeH
Rep:
?
This summer I have four exams and did quite alot of coursework throughout the year. 70 out of my 120 credits for this year are already completed going into exams. 4 of my modules are 100% coursework. The max essay i did was 2000 and you tend to get 10% each way on the word count. The work you get also varies on the module, for example in Techniques you get a higher amount of assignments but they are smaller and you do them in practical sessions which are timetabled where as in sustainability I did one 2000 word essay, a debate and two reflective journals. I found that I did quite alot more work in the spring term compared to the autumn term. You get enough time to hand in assignments that you can pace yourself with them. At the end of spring term I had 7 assignments due within the last 10 days but they varied on task so it wasn't stressful. The majority of my work has ranged from 56 (2:2) to 73 (1st). I also know that I have got 69% 64% and 67% in three modules so you get what you put in. It's worth noting that the assignments or modules I did this year may be run differently next year.

I like Reading as a place. Fair to say that there is enough variety in nightclubs and bars etc.. The biggest club being on campus! and the oracle shopping center has pretty much all you can need. A return train ticket with a one day tube pass is 15.00 if you have a railcard. The halls here vary in standards and it depends on how much you are willing to spend on them. Regular buses leave from around campus and take you to town or where ever.
Ah that doesn't seem too bad then. Sorry you keep bothering you but I just had two more questions if thats ok. How much support do you get with the course? like do you get a lot of close support with the lectures? Also have you chosen any modules from any other courses? Thanks
ljb.95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah that doesn't seem too bad then. Sorry you keep bothering you but I just had two more questions if thats ok. How much support do you get with the course? like do you get a lot of close support with the lectures? Also have you chosen any modules from any other courses? Thanks
Not a problem. Not bothering me at all, got nothing else to do than revise and play fifa. I haven't really had much interaction with lecturers because I haven't needed any help or support. However, I know that they make themselves available via email for any questions and often set up forums online for any other questions. You can also book meetings with them to get any support for an upcoming assignment.

I do two modules from outside the geography department. One from the agricultural department (Humans & The environment) and one from the economics department (The economics of climate change). I have not enjoyed humans and the environment at all because its relates to geography is next to no way and I didnt do economics before Uni so I have struggled abit with the economics terminology and graphs etc... Next year I have chosen all my modules to stay in the geography department
OllieeH
Rep:
?
Not a problem. Not bothering me at all, got nothing else to do than revise and play fifa. I haven't really had much interaction with lecturers because I haven't needed any help or support. However, I know that they make themselves available via email for any questions and often set up forums online for any other questions. You can also book meetings with them to get any support for an upcoming assignment.

I do two modules from outside the geography department. One from the agricultural department (Humans & The environment) and one from the economics department (The economics of climate change). I have not enjoyed humans and the environment at all because its relates to geography is next to no way and I didnt do economics before Uni so I have struggled abit with the economics terminology and graphs etc... Next year I have chosen all my modules to stay in the geography department
Ah that's interesting to hear, I have a interest in politics and international development so I may possibly choose a module or two from them. And that's good to hear that the tutors are open to any questions, because I was concerned about how much of the work is based around your own independent studying/revision. Out of interest are there any modules that you know of that involve studying cities or connections with social geography, such as these two from swansea: https://intranet.swan.ac.uk/catalogu...tailOnly=false https://intranet.swan.ac.uk/catalogu...tailOnly=false

Thanks
ljb.95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah that's interesting to hear, I have a interest in politics and international development so I may possibly choose a module or two from them. And that's good to hear that the tutors are open to any questions, because I was concerned about how much of the work is based around your own independent studying/revision. Out of interest are there any modules that you know of that involve studying cities or connections with social geography, such as these two from swansea: https://intranet.swan.ac.uk/catalogu...tailOnly=false https://intranet.swan.ac.uk/catalogu...tailOnly=false

Thanks
The tutors are there but it very much is up to your own independent study and those to links cover similar topics (space and place) similar to principles and practice which is a module you have to do!
OllieeH
Rep:
?
The tutors are there but it very much is up to your own independent study and those to links cover similar topics (space and place) similar to principles and practice which is a module you have to do!
Ah thats good to hear. Thanks again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (593)
34.1%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.54%

Watched Threads