Edexcel Geography reviosn Watch

DinosaursInHats
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
anyone got any tips for geography revision, to me it looks like it'll take far too long to make notes, how do you revise for geography?
staywithme
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I thematically go through each of the modules and I have made myself a case study booklet which I look over once a day and try to learn a new fact or two. Then maybe just draw some diagrams of the key processes e.g. coastal erosion, how volcanoes work and go through some past papers. Also, do some mind maps for the impacts of geographical events e.g. if the coasts erode, what will the impacts be - people lose their homes, beaches are destroyed so less tourism, etc.

Hope this helps (somewhat)!
Ellie
cooldudehjhjwbjd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DinosaursInHats)
anyone got any tips for geography revision, to me it looks like it'll take far too long to make notes, how do you revise for geography?
If I were you I would buy the up to date Edexcel Geography revision guide and then read over the revision book but underline/ highlight key points and phrases before you start reading. This will help you to revise only the required info for the exam
DinosaursInHats
Rep:
?
(Original post by staywithme)
I thematically go through each of the modules and I have made myself a case study booklet which I look over once a day and try to learn a new fact or two. Then maybe just draw some diagrams of the key processes e.g. coastal erosion, how volcanoes work and go through some past papers. Also, do some mind maps for the impacts of geographical events e.g. if the coasts erode, what will the impacts be - people lose their homes, beaches are destroyed so less tourism, etc.

Hope this helps (somewhat)!
Ellie
thanks, i have tried making notes especially revison cards but i find it very time consuming to cover all required content. I think i will only be making revision cards on everything for the first paper where you get 2, 4 and 6 mark questions because in the second paper it is only 2 and 8 marks ( and the 2 marks are easy) so you just need case studies. How long do you spend on geography note making?
DinosaursInHats
Rep:
?
(Original post by cooldudehjhjwbjd)
If I were you I would buy the up to date Edexcel Geography revision guide and then read over the revision book but underline/ highlight key points and phrases before you start reading. This will help you to revise only the required info for the exam
thanks
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You could try using flashcards to remember case studies, and attempting a past paper to get used to the proper question paper and the type of question they throw at you
DinosaursInHats
Rep:
?
(Original post by kkboyk)
You could try using flashcards to remember case studies, and attempting a past paper to get used to the proper question paper and the type of question they throw at you

thanks
hw1221
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Which unit do you think is harder 1 or 2?
DinosaursInHats
Rep:
?
(Original post by hw1221)
Which unit do you think is harder 1 or 2?
idk but i know for unit 1 i think you need more general knowledge for the 4 markers but 8 mark questions are tough
Zino98
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
FlashCards really help for geography
I've made them for every topic in all three of the units
Also, when buying the book
Make sure you're aware of the specification your school teachers
Geography A or Geography B
Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
DinosaursInHats
Rep:
?
(Original post by VivekJ555)
FlashCards really help for geography
I've made them for every topic in all three of the units
Also, when buying the book
Make sure you're aware of the specification your school teachers
Geography A or Geography B
Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, thanks, do you find revison cards/flash cards time consuming?
staywithme
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
thanks, i have tried making notes especially revison cards but i find it very time consuming to cover all required content. I think i will only be making revision cards on everything for the first paper where you get 2, 4 and 6 mark questions because in the second paper it is only 2 and 8 marks ( and the 2 marks are easy) so you just need case studies. How long do you spend on geography note making?
my key piece of advice is to not worry about learning every fact - just learn a few key ones and write these out. And, are you doing Edexcel Geography B? If so, higher or lower tier? As each one has different questions - I'm doing B Higher and I've got 3 exams and 2 are on Geography we have studied, each contains 2, 4,6 mark questions for the first 4 topics and 2, 4, 8 in the latter!

Best of luck - and yes, mainly the 4 marks are theory based and the 6 marks require theory and case studies It took me about 20 minutes for each topic so about 2 hours for the whole of the first exam's case studies
DinosaursInHats
Rep:
?
(Original post by staywithme)
my key piece of advice is to not worry about learning every fact - just learn a few key ones and write these out. And, are you doing Edexcel Geography B? If so, higher or lower tier? As each one has different questions - I'm doing B Higher and I've got 3 exams and 2 are on Geography we have studied, each contains 2, 4,6 mark questions for the first 4 topics and 2, 4, 8 in the latter!

Best of luck - and yes, mainly the 4 marks are theory based and the 6 marks require theory and case studies It took me about 20 minutes for each topic so about 2 hours for the whole of the first exam's case studies
right yeah im on geography b higher like you, i actually did the 2013 paper off the edexcel board and didnt find it too bad, i think learning technique is important because looking at it you can get one mark for a point but if you extend it and elaborate (give what detail you would assume is implied when you write it ) you get a significantly greater amount of marks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (68)
15.74%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (81)
18.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.12%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.65%
How can I be the best version of myself? (132)
30.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed