Liberal Democrat Manifesto discussion thread Watch

Queen Cersei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago

The Lib Dem Party have published their manifesto for the 2015 general election on May 7th.

Have a read of the full document here or you can catch up on the highlights u
sing our bitesize edition!

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...pdf?1429028133

OR

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...tesize-edition

This thread is for discussion of the Lib Dem Party manifesto...

- Was it what you expected?
- Is anything in there a surprise?
- Which bits do you like?
- Which bits don't you like?
- Has it convinced you to vote/not vote Lib Dem?

Share your thoughts here!

Attached files
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not surprisingly I really liked it. There wasn't anything in it that I could reasonably disagree with though perhaps they should have spoken more about future coalitions and why they're a good thing.

I was particularly happy that they brought up Charlie Hebdo and the fundamental right to offend people.
The libdems will always be the civil liberties party.
#Ridwan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I respect the Lib Dems for producing a costed manifesto as well as prioritising civil liberties.

Shame that Clegg has killed off their electoral prospects for the next couple of decades.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do like an awful lot of the manifesto, but I have always been one to be extremely against taxing wealthy property owners. I have no problem with the wealthy paying a slightly higher tax rate, but to go on and tax their property as well?

Also, it's a shame their fantastic drug policy plans aren't on the bitesize thingy - http://www.libdems.org.uk/the-time-f...-reform-is-now
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by #Ridwan)
Shame that Clegg has killed off their electoral prospects for the next couple of decades.
I doubt it but we'll see. If labour can recover from Blair we can from Clegg.
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
I do like an awful lot of the manifesto, but I have always been one to be extremely against taxing wealthy property owners. I have no problem with the wealthy paying a slightly higher tax rate, but to go on and tax their property as well?

Also, it's a shame their fantastic drug policy plans aren't on the bitesize thingy - http://www.libdems.org.uk/the-time-f...-reform-is-now
The idea behind the mansion tax is a lot of the very wealthy particularly in London have their assets off shore or they are mobile. You can't hide a mansion.
ifydark100
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What are my gain If I support you
Nirgilis
  • Study Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Very glad the Lib Dems are looking at staying in the EU :yep: . It's the only sensible choice
Ki Yung Na
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This thread hasn't even got double digit replies unlike the other ones - people really did get carried away with the last election's negative press against the Lib Dems.
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ki Yung Na)
This thread hasn't even got double digit replies unlike the other ones - people really did get carried away with the last election's negative press against the Lib Dems.
I'm taking it as nobody can find fault with it!
princess.natalie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)
I doubt it but we'll see. If labour can recover from Blair we can from Clegg.
Nick Clegg did what was best for us at the time. The only other real options would have been:
- a coalition with labour (after they had dropped us in such a terrible economy, they weren't the party with the most votes so that coalition wouldn't have been fair, and they weren't able to accept fault for causing such major problems), or
- conservative minority (minorities rarely form stable governments, also the lib dems would have had very little say)
I don't understand why being able to successfully form a coalition with a party on the other side of the spectrum and have achieved most of the lib dem manifesto despite having such few seats in comparison with the conservatives has reflected badly on Nick Clegg, when I would argue he did what was best and was an incredibly impressive deputy prime minister!
Okay, he went back on tuition fees - but it was labour who introduced them, conservatives who wanted to put a rise on them, and lib dems who managed to cap the increase.. Yet lib dems received the blame. Of course.
Sorry for the rant, I just hate it when people get caught up in the momentum of scapegoating.
HarryGaga
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Any party who opposed the democratic process of an EU referendum automatically did not get my vote; so I was left with Tories, Greens and UKIP.

The Lib Dems were a disaster walking at GE2015, I'd like to see 'Cleggmania' back with Tim Farron running up to the 2020 election, although I think he's an idiot personally
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by princess.natalie)
Nick Clegg did what was best for us at the time. The only other real options would have been:
- a coalition with labour (after they had dropped us in such a terrible economy, they weren't the party with the most votes so that coalition wouldn't have been fair, and they weren't able to accept fault for causing such major problems), or
- conservative minority (minorities rarely form stable governments, also the lib dems would have had very little say)
I don't understand why being able to successfully form a coalition with a party on the other side of the spectrum and have achieved most of the lib dem manifesto despite having such few seats in comparison with the conservatives has reflected badly on Nick Clegg, when I would argue he did what was best and was an incredibly impressive deputy prime minister!
Okay, he went back on tuition fees - but it was labour who introduced them, conservatives who wanted to put a rise on them, and lib dems who managed to cap the increase.. Yet lib dems received the blame. Of course.
Sorry for the rant, I just hate it when people get caught up in the momentum of scapegoating.
Lol if you look back at some of my posts I am perhaps one of the biggest clegg sympathisers out there and agree with your points- best prime minister we never had actually in my opinion. But that is my opinion not mainstream opinion- regardless of what you and I think he is political sewage.

Unfortunately he and classical liberalism are now extinct in the lib dems party and are now solely found in the so called modernist wing of the Tory party.
princess.natalie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)
Lol if you look back at some of my posts I am perhaps one of the biggest clegg sympathisers out there and agree with your points- best prime minister we never had actually in my opinion. But that is my opinion not mainstream opinion- regardless of what you and I think he is political sewage.

Unfortunately he and classical liberalism are now extinct in the lib dems party and are now solely found in the so called modernist wing of the Tory party.
Woo another Clegg fan! I just don't understand how people can complain about how party leaders aren't clean and change their policies to suit themselves and get more votes, and act strictly as authoritarians in the House of Commons when they win elections, and yet as soon as a fantastic, honest leader who does what's best for the country comes along, he's seen as 'political sewage'.. Long story short, society irritates me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.71%
No (266)
33.29%

Watched Threads