The Student Room Group

Roadtrip across United States of America

Hi guys,

Me and my friends are planning to go on a roadtrip across America when we each turn 21, and good places we should go and see?
Thats a VAST question, you could fill literally dozens of books with answers.

Most people say east -> west is better as it opens out as you go less people, more space.

this is an interesting article on the subject:
http://www.randalolson.com/2015/03/08/computing-the-optimal-road-trip-across-the-u-s/

My advice, personally, having done both, would be go to Europe unless you have plenty of money, a road trip there will cost you 1/4 of america, it is a REALLY expensive country to travel for any period of time.
Original post by Snake_Doctor

Most people say east -> west is better as it opens out as you go less people, more space.

http://www.randalolson.com/2015/03/08/computing-the-optimal-road-trip-across-the-u-s/

My advice, personally, having done both, would be go to Europe unless you have plenty of money, a road trip there will cost you 1/4 of america, it is a REALLY expensive country to travel for any period of time.

We are planning to do Western Europe in about a year or two's time actually. :wink:
Las Vegas
The idea of a classic road trip is the jewel in the crown for fans of Americana - but it requires careful planning to execute well.

For a start, there's a fair bit of red tape. Car hire firms will hit you with extra charges for being under 25, and if you wish to drop it off in a different place to where you picked it up. Also, America is less of a country than a continent. It really is massive. NY to LA is a 5-6 hour flight. That's literally days on the road - just if you go straight from one to the other. You'll eat through money in motels, restaurants, petrol stations, and so on. You won't all be able to party as someone has to drive.

A good thing to do would be to concentrate on one area - I have a friend that went around the South, from New Orleans to the Carolinas via Mobile, Montgomery and Atlanta. Another drove down to the Carolinas from Boston, which is a bit longer. There's a lot of good stuff to see in concentrated areas, rather than shooting for the moon and doing NY - LA.
I have always wanted to do this, but never had the time, money etc.

I'll manage it one day though:biggrin:!
Firstly, this will take you a long time.

Secondly, I recommend:

•

New York City

•

Yosemite

•

Las Vegas

•

Death Valley

•

Washington D.C.

•

Los Angeles

•

San Francisco

Original post by Snake_Doctor

In what way is America expensive? The car hire might be an issue due to age, but other than that it's pretty cheap.
Original post by EatAndRevise
Firstly, this will take you a long time.

Secondly, I recommend:

•

New York City

•

Yosemite

•

Las Vegas

•

Death Valley

•

Washington D.C.

•

Los Angeles

•

San Francisco

I would love to see New York, D.C., San Francisco, Los Angeles and Las Vegas, gotta look up the other places though.
Original post by Endian Chief
I would love to see New York, D.C., San Francisco, Los Angeles and Las Vegas, gotta look up the other places though.

Yosemite National Park is beautiful. If there's one place you visit from my list, I would definitely it to be Yosemite.

I'm sure you have seen "Half Dome", which is in Yosemite National Park:

(edited 8 years ago)
Yosemite National Park is beautiful. If there's one place you visit from my list, I would definitely it to be Yosemite.

I'm sure you have seen "Half Dome", which is in Yosemite National Park:

OH MY GOD! That looks absolutely stunning! DEFINITELY on my list now!
Original post by Endian Chief
OH MY GOD! That looks absolutely stunning! DEFINITELY on my list now!

Indeed it is. You can actually walk up Half Dome, as there is a 'path' on one of the sides.
Indeed it is. You can actually walk up Half Dome, as there is a 'path' on one of the sides.

EatAndRevise is correct - My sister and I walked that "path" and it literally took us 14 hours from the valley floor. You have to hike up 2 waterfalls, Vernal and Nevada, and we were well and truly knackered for 2 days after. Quite an adventure!
Original post by rockrunride
The idea of a classic road trip is the jewel in the crown for fans of Americana - but it requires careful planning to execute well.

For a start, there's a fair bit of red tape. Car hire firms will hit you with extra charges for being under 25, and if you wish to drop it off in a different place to where you picked it up. Also, America is less of a country than a continent. It really is massive. NY to LA is a 5-6 hour flight. That's literally days on the road - just if you go straight from one to the other. You'll eat through money in motels, restaurants, petrol stations, and so on. You won't all be able to party as someone has to drive.

A good thing to do would be to concentrate on one area - I have a friend that went around the South, from New Orleans to the Carolinas via Mobile, Montgomery and Atlanta. Another drove down to the Carolinas from Boston, which is a bit longer. There's a lot of good stuff to see in concentrated areas, rather than shooting for the moon and doing NY - LA.

I agree - the country is MASSIVE! I was going to hire a car, but they were quite strict about being under 25 so ended up searching for a different way to get across America.

We found the company Green Torotise http://www.greentortoise.com/adventure-bus-tours-cross-country.html to be less expensive than a roadtrip we planned ourselves since you can sleep on the bus (outfitted with bunks and sleepers instead of seats) and save money that would be spent in motels and restaurants (food is included). Plus, party away - someone else is driving!

Quick Reply