The Student Room Group

why do people look down upon who study engineering?

I'm from Hong Kong and I'm doing my last year A-levels studies. Meanwhile I'm applying uni in hk for engineering program. Okay, local people in Hong Kong often think that people who study engineering in uni because their academic result are not that good enough and couldn't get in to faculty of business/medicine/law e.t.c. In their mind, medicine (MBBS), law (LLB), B.Ba e.t.c. are the only few options.

I would like to study engineering in uni and in general speaking that is my dream. However, some people who self-consider they are good enough in academic studies often look down on me, as well as who study engineering. I have no idea whether people in here have this kind of view or people around the world also think in this way, as many people that I know do think in this way and to be honest, even some of my family members. In addition, even students here who are studying engineering in uni also look down upon themselves and they study very hard in their first year in order to change their major from engineering to other program. They always claim engineering is not a really good option for the future when comparing with other competitive program like what I mentioned before.

yeah, really wanna know what people in tsr think. thx in advance for reading my threat.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I suppose it's because of the fact that you can get engineering diplomas from colleges now, so it's kinda lost its 'prestige' and the earning potentials in medicine/business/law far exceeds those of an engineers

Conceptually I'd argue engineering is harder than medicine/finance/law courses because most people are awful at higher level physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not completely sure why people have this perception of Engineering. I have and always will hold Engineers to be one of the most prestigious jobs, even above those deemed to be the most prestigious - Doctors/Surgeons/Lawyers etc. I'd always be more impressed if someone told me they were something like an aeronautical engineer than if they said they were a Doctor, though I know a lot of people don't share these opinions.

I think an earlier poster has a point - engineering qualifications have become dumped down a bit which has made the discipline lose prestige, even though it takes a very academic person to be a top engineer. Also, in a lot of countries, engineering is seen as a vocational/physical discipline rather than academic which I think lowers its prestige. Again, I don't agree with this at all.
Original post by grassntai
I suppose it's because of the fact that you can get engineering diplomas from colleges now, so it's kinda lost its 'prestige' and the earning potentials in medicine/business/law far exceeds those of an engineers

Conceptually I'd argue engineering is harder than medicine/finance/law courses because most people are awful at higher level physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Engineers imo have a lot more going for them.

They can go into industry (which is fairly well paid here) or go into finance as strategists, traders and quants (which banks are actively recruiting for).

Engineers in that case will be making far more than any doctor/lawyer and also have loads of options which business, medics, lawyers don't have.
Reply 4
"Engineers are the oompa loompas of science" - Sheldon Cooper.
Engineers are held in much higher regard in the UK. It's seen as a very good career option for people who are good at physics and maths, and students are often encouraged towards engineering degrees. The career prospects are good too - apparently there's a shortage of engineers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you joking? Engineering remains to be one of the best regarded degrees, somewhere between medicine on the one hand and law on the other.
I would hope it's not looked down upon. Engineering's one of the most important things there is.

It's all about the paper chasing nowadays. People want to grow fat in ill fitting suits next to their pile of gold farting into a goblet, rather than do anything of any real use.

Stick with it. I'm not looking down at you.
Maybe the fact that they call boiler repair men 'engineers' in the UK have seriously diminished the image of an Engineer.

Go to India, every 3rd person wants to be an Engineer from the top universities. Dont see that in the rest of the world
Reply 9
Bar from medicine and dentistry, the uni you go to holds most of the prestige. You can do law at pretty much any uni in the UK but I'd only think wow if you go to top universities e.g Oxbridge, LSE etc. Same goes for most other degrees.
How's kowloon city

Posted from TSR Mobile
maybe a HK cultural thing?

tbh I thought the rest of China was crazy about becoming engineers, India too as already mentioned and of course a lot of other places.
Reply 12
Original post by Joinedup
maybe a HK cultural thing?

tbh I thought the rest of China was crazy about becoming engineers, India too as already mentioned and of course a lot of other places.

I don't really know is that a HK culture or not. This kind of thought seems to appear recently. I don't know much about how people think in mainland China but as a fact that in HK, people regard study engineering in uni as their second or third choice.
Reply 13
Original post by William Pitt
Are you joking? Engineering remains to be one of the best regarded degrees, somewhere between medicine on the one hand and law on the other.

Absolutely, I'm not joking... for students who are doing GCE A-level in HK, conditions for entering faculty of medicine and engineering are completely different. Maybe

For example: HKUST Engineering, condition A*AB
HKU/CUHK Medicine, condition at least 4A* (strong applicants often took 5 or 6 A level subjects, in order to apply Medicine)

Maybe this is why people look down who study engineering? I don't really know... but some of my classmates do look down on me.
Original post by kev909
Absolutely, I'm not joking... for students who are doing GCE A-level in HK, conditions for entering faculty of medicine and engineering are completely different. Maybe

For example: HKUST Engineering, condition A*AB
HKU/CUHK Medicine, condition at least 4A* (strong applicants often took 5 or 6 A level subjects, in order to apply Medicine)

Maybe this is why people look down who study engineering? I don't really know... but some of my classmates do look down on me.

In the UK, this is CERTAINLY not the case.

Take Imperial for example, one of the best universities here in the country and the world.

Medicine - AAA minimum requirements

Engineering (Mechanical, Chemical, Etc) - A*A*A minimum requirements.

Engineering is seen more intense here.
Never met anyone who 'looked down' upon engineering. I did Medicine at university and I still highly regard engineering. You should do it if you like it. It's a fairly respectable career. Don't let people hold you down.
Reply 16
Original post by Anonynmous
In the UK, this is CERTAINLY not the case.

Take Imperial for example, one of the best universities here in the country and the world.

Medicine - AAA minimum requirements

Engineering (Mechanical, Chemical, Etc) - A*A*A minimum requirements.

Engineering is seen more intense here.

What you just mentioned surprise me...... seems like situations in both the UK and HK are totally different.....
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by bluemax
Never met anyone who 'looked down' upon engineering. I did Medicine at university and I still highly regard engineering. You should do it if you like it. It's a fairly respectable career. Don't let people hold you down.

Thx, yes I will go for engineering and that is a must. I don't know whether is it a kind of "Asian" problem... people here are so aggressive. Always do comparison on academic studies.
I would regard an engineer more highly than a medic or lawyer. The degree is at least as hard as medicine and probably harder than law.

The entry requirements in HK are probably down to a self-fulfilling prophecy. They are linked to competitiveness of course entry, not course difficulty, so the prestige of medicine and law is probably the cause of the entry requirements in the first place.
Engineers is an excellent subject, don't let others bring you down

Latest

Trending

Trending