MedievalWitch
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey I've got this question to complete - "The Gothic often explores our very real and very human fears. To what extent is this true of Wuthering Heights?"

I've got some limited notes on these fears presented in the novel
- death
- loneliness
- lack of family
- security
- powerlessness
- fear of other cultures

but for the death fear I don't really know what to write about. I get that Cathy and Heathcliff don't believe in religion from the part where Hindley gets them to listen to Josephs preaches and that the idea of afterlife is comfort blanket but I don't really know how to put it.

I'm only predicted an E so I'm not expecting great things in the summer but any help would be appreciated with this question :') thanks in advance
MedievalWitch
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
PLEASE!! can anyone help me before I tear my hair our?!?!?!?!
LumosNox
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Firstly, don't let a low prediction stop you! They may say E but you could still surprise them and do better!

Okay, now Wuthering Heights is one of my A-Level texts so I'll see what I can do to help. (It might be a bit late but, who knows?)

For the fear of death, you could mention the religious aspect - stating that the notions of an afterlife is a comfort to the fear of death, nobody likes thinking they'll die and that will be the end, right? So, relate it to that very real and human fear. Another way the fear of death could come in would be through the supernatural. Cathy's ghost comes in near the beginning so you could consider the implications of that? She would literally be death coming to haunt you, wouldn't she? So, I'd suggest you revisit that bit of the novel and have look. But, you could mention how Heathcliff doesn't seem to fear death quite as much once Cathy's died. I think I remember reading that he dug the grave up, this would suggest he doesn't fear it but I suppose it's still a confrontation of the fear of death.

Ask your teacher for some more advice, probably a lot more helpful than anything I could give you, to be honest. But, if you do have any questions, feel free to ask me - here or as a private message. Good luck and keep going!
happysmile
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LumosNox)
Firstly, don't let a low prediction stop you! They may say E but you could still surprise them and do better!

Okay, now Wuthering Heights is one of my A-Level texts so I'll see what I can do to help. (It might be a bit late but, who knows?)

For the fear of death, you could mention the religious aspect - stating that the notions of an afterlife is a comfort to the fear of death, nobody likes thinking they'll die and that will be the end, right? So, relate it to that very real and human fear. Another way the fear of death could come in would be through the supernatural. Cathy's ghost comes in near the beginning so you could consider the implications of that? She would literally be death coming to haunt you, wouldn't she? So, I'd suggest you revisit that bit of the novel and have look. But, you could mention how Heathcliff doesn't seem to fear death quite as much once Cathy's died. I think I remember reading that he dug the grave up, this would suggest he doesn't fear it but I suppose it's still a confrontation of the fear of death.

Ask your teacher for some more advice, probably a lot more helpful than anything I could give you, to be honest. But, if you do have any questions, feel free to ask me - here or as a private message. Good luck and keep going!
Wish I'd studied Wuthering Heights
LumosNox
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by happysmile)
Wish I'd studied Wuthering Heights
Any particular reason why? :curious:
happysmile
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LumosNox)
Any particular reason why? :curious:
love the novel
Jgco2chem
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I watched the film, it was brilliant! however misses out a few things...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
16.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (89)
28.53%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.5%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (42)
13.46%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.53%

Watched Threads