The Student Room Group

Mechanics 1 - Statics of a Particle

I don't understand why friction is acting down on the objects in this question. In the question, it says that the particle is on a point of moving down the slope, so surely friction should be going up the slope?

Can someone please explain why?
Reply 1
Original post by AlconH
I don't understand why friction is acting down on the objects in this question. In the question, it says that the particle is on a point of moving down the slope, so surely friction should be going up the slope?

Can someone please explain why?

I have not looked at this question in detail but I agree with you.
If someone chooses to mark it in the opposite direction to the one it is physically acting then hopefully it will all "come out in the wash".

(or maybe a typo)
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
I have not looked at this question in detail but I agree with you.If someone chooses to mark it in the opposite direction to the one it is physically acting then hopefully it will all "come out in the wash".(or maybe a typo)
problem is, they get the right answer and the whole chapter is like that. All of them display the friction in the opposite direction and I can't figure out why. Just doesn't make sense to me at all.
Reply 3
Original post by AlconH
problem is, they get the right answer and the whole chapter is like that. All of them display the friction in the opposite direction and I can't figure out why. Just doesn't make sense to me at all.

who is they?

book, booklet written by teacher or lecturer?
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
who is they?

book, booklet written by teacher or lecturer?

The exam board produce the book. The solutions are also provided by the exam board, and this is what I have screenshot and displayed above.
Reply 5
Original post by AlconH
The exam board produce the book. The solutions are also provided by the exam board, and this is what I have screenshot and displayed above.

Maybe the author has some issue.
I cannot even think of a sensible reason to justify this.
Reply 6
Original post by TeeEm
Maybe the author has some issue.
I cannot even think of a sensible reason to justify this.
Hmmm.. It's produced by Edexcel, so I doubt that's the case, but I agree, I cannot think of an explanation either.

Quick Reply

Latest