The Student Room Group

Will unis look down on me for getting poor GCSEs?

Hey guys so this is my first thread.
I did my GCSE's last summer and I got a pass in music technology (pass or fail), one A, one B, four Ds, an E and a G.
Currently I am resitting my English GCSE and I'm studying a BTEC Level 2 in Business.
The A grade was in Maths and I've always liked Maths quite a lot, though during the two years of my GCSEs things were fairly difficult, ESPECIALLY during exam time.. :/
I was put on foundation paper on the subjects I ended up with D and E grades in so I could've passed them easily, and I had hoped to study Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Sociology at the local sixth form college I am currently studying my BTEC in.
I want to study something like accounting or business finance at university. I DO NOT want to go to a polytechnic university or any other post 1992 uni.
Hopefully I will pass English and then when I get onto my level 3 Business course I will work hard to ensure I get D*D*D*.
My question is, in order to study accounting or business finance at a decent uni, do you think my overall poor GCSEs will set me back?
This is my first post so forgive me for rambling but I wanted to get other's thoughts and opinions.
Thank you. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Double A-Z
I did my GCSE's last summer and I got a pass in music technology (pass or fail), one A, one B, four Ds, an E and a G.
Currently I am resitting my English GCSE and I'm studying a BTEC Level 2 in Business.
The A grade was in Maths and I've always liked Maths quite a lot, though during the two years of my GCSEs things were fairly difficult, ESPECIALLY during exam time.. :/
I was put on foundation paper on the subjects I ended up with D and E grades in so I could've passed them easily, and I had hoped to study Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Sociology at the local sixth form college I am currently studying my BTEC in.
I want to study something like accounting or business finance at university. I DO NOT want to go to a polytechnic university or any other post 1992 uni.
Hopefully I will pass English and then when I get onto my level 3 Business course I will work hard to ensure I get D*D*D*.
My question is, in order to study accounting or business finance at a decent uni, do you think my overall poor GCSEs will set me back?
This is my first post so forgive me for rambling but I wanted to get other's thoughts and opinions.

What is your definition of a decent university?
Give examples of some of the universities you have been looking at
Of course there are some universities which place great emphasis on attaining good grades, but there are also others which are more lenient and allow you to compensate for the poor GCSE grades by attaining good BTEC passes or A levels.. some (most likely all, but a some) will even think of you more highly have a great personal statement.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Kash24411
What is your definition of a decent university?
Give examples of some of the universities you have been looking at

My definition of a 'decent' university is one that is known for high employment rates, research assessment, student satisfaction and accredited. I look at the league tables but I'm not a snob about that, and I look at university.which website which gives me a great insight as to what students typically achieve, the subjects they studied, the course content and accreditations and such.

I have looked at Kent, Lancaster, Manchester, York, City University London (which I've got my heart set on they require A in maths GCSE and DDD in btec) just to name a few and from looking at the university which website competition looks quite tough and therefore I am confused as to whether or not those four (when I resit English will be three) D grades and below will hold me back.
City university might but from my experiences of the universities you mentioned above, they tend to prefer a levels and definitely look at your gcses. It wouldn't hurt trying D*D*D* will definitely help you out but without even 5 gcses, i personally think you may struggle.

But nevertheless, you have nothing to lose, so go for it :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
It wouldn't hurt trying D*D*D* will definitely help you out but without even 5 gcses, i personally think you may struggle.

But nevertheless, you have nothing to lose, so go for it :smile:

I will struggle of course but the problem is my teachers and peers always saw me as the 'smart guy with potential' and I do not honestly believe that 3 or 4 GCSE's will help me at all, but when the time comes and in my personal statement I explain the situation and write a good personal statement overall will I even stand an ounce of a chance? Bearing in mind that most people who get A in maths GCSE tend to do well in other subjects, maths was the only one I got an A with and the other passes were in vocational subjects (B in drama and pass in music tech)
My definition of a 'decent' university is one that is known for high employment rates, research assessment, student satisfaction and accredited. I look at the league tables but I'm not a snob about that, and I look at university.which website which gives me a great insight as to what students typically achieve, the subjects they studied, the course content and accreditations and such.

I have looked at Kent, Lancaster, Manchester, York, City University London (which I've got my heart set on they require A in maths GCSE and DDD in btec) just to name a few and from looking at the university which website competition looks quite tough and therefore I am confused as to whether or not those four (when I resit English will be three) D grades and below will hold me back.

You will be fine trust me. As long as you meet the minimum grade requirements for GCSE's the rest don't matter. Just focus on your BTEC and get D*D*D*.

I mean fair enough you may not look as academically strong as a candidate who has all A's at GCSE however if you submit a solid personal statement and get the grades at college you should stand a good chance.

Studying BTEC's may also put you at a slight disadvantage as some universities out of the ones you mentioned do prefer A levels even if they don't state they do, but this is only from what i have heard. However what i would recommend is trying to pick up A level maths alongside your BTEC's?
Reply 7
Original post by thecatwithnohat
but there are also others which are more lenient and allow you to compensate for the poor GCSE grades by attaining good BTEC passes or A levels..

I am fully aware of this, the post 1992 unis and polytechnics tend to be more flexible in their entry requirements, but I think I can do a lot better than that in terms of job prospects :s-smilie: unis such as hertfordshire and nottingham trent for example don't seem like BAD universities but I'm not sure that going to any one of these will enhance my job and career prospects :frown:
I will struggle of course but the problem is my teachers and peers always saw me as the 'smart guy with potential' and I do not honestly believe that 3 or 4 GCSE's will help me at all, but when the time comes and in my personal statement I explain the situation and write a good personal statement overall will I even stand an ounce of a chance? Bearing in mind that most people who get A in maths GCSE tend to do well in other subjects, maths was the only one I got an A with and the other passes were in vocational subjects (B in drama and pass in music tech)

I think you should do more than just english resits. Core science, maybe? I found that very easy having done triple. Or what about general studies or RS short course?

I recommend the EPQ as a good grade will help you massively and you seem extremely motivated.

You're right in that a personal statement backs you up but some universities can't get past previous achievements. It's difficult to say because universities aren't always vocal about it and the one instance I've come across it was kind of a "behind the scenes" session at cambridge university. http://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/jan/10/how-cambridge-admissions-really-work

[from the link] - There is another girl from a comprehensive school who got an eight at interview, but one academic exclaims: "Blooming heck, her GCSE score was terrible."

I know cambridge run differently and their idea of poor is probably like 3 As and 10 Bs but it just shows how admissions tutors actually focus on it.

Finally, if the university offers a foundation year, TAKE IT REGARDLESS as I'm sure the likelihood of you getting in will go from faintly possible to probable.
Reply 9

However what i would recommend is trying to pick up A level maths alongside your BTEC's?

I have applied to do a combination program at a college that said on their website that they allow it... however a month later I still haven't heard back from them :frown:
I agree, definitely take up at least AS maths by the way. Even A2 maths is ok but it might be daunting given how much time you have

Manchester and York could be difficult :redface:
Reply 12
I really hope my career prospects won't be terribly ruined if I studied at a former polytechnic such as herts :tongue:
I really hope my career prospects won't be terribly ruined if I studied at a former polytechnic such as herts :tongue:

They won't be, university reputation isn't what an employer just focuses on.

If you could get on a placement year alongside your degree and graduate with a 2.1 or 1st, you will be in a good position.
Reply 14

If you could get on a placement year alongside your degree and graduate with a 2.1 or 1st, you will be in a good position.

Fully taken on board, however just like with unis preferring A level to BTEC, won't employers/graduate schemes prefer Plate glass/red brick uni graduates to polytechnics? There will be LOADS of graduates graduating with a 2:1 from here and there with a good statement + tons of work experience so unfortunately a 2:1 is no longer a unique selling point :frown:
Also the kind of career I hope to get into university prestige is actually quite a big deal lol
Former polys definitely do not ruin your career prospects. All the universities are good to some extent, but some are just "better"

For the record, hertfordshire is a nice university :smile:
Reply 16

Fair says but even if I get a D*D*D*, get into Herts or something and end up with a 1st, a good CV and plenty of work experience under my belt (including the year abroad and year in industry) will I still look bad compared to someone with higher GCSEs with the same amount of work experience etc etc who graduated with a 2:1 or a 1st from a 'Russel Group' uni??
Reply 17
I mean the career I want to do university prestige and reputation is quite important and competition itself is very fierce

I know a person with worse GCSE grades than that but to be fair she was maths dyslexic and currently is re sitting her English GCSE along side level 2 business aswell so, you are not alone.

Universities mainly concerned about your UCAS points/ A level grades but then again it does depend on the uni.

If you phone them up and explain those grades then they should let you know the neccessary info you need.

If you had certain circumstance like health problems that prevented you from getting better grades then the unis should be lenient on you.

All in all, see how your English re-sit goes along side your business and if you do well you could progress on to A levels.:smile:
Reply 19
The fact that I got 3 A*-Bs including Maths at grade A despite all the drama that was going on should speak for itself though, no?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending