Public law - help!!!

Watch this thread
JT2601
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I really don't understand what the question is asking and what legal arguments I would bring up when answering this question!

Would be really grateful if I could get some help
GeneralStudent95
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JT2601)
The control of the executive and administration can and should be exercised in ways complementary to judicial review that may be more effective [than it]': Carol Harlow and Richard Rawlings, Law and Administration (3rd edition, Cambridge University Press, 2009) Preface, xvi. Do you agree? – consider, in particular, the constitutional implications of such control.

I really don't understand what the question is asking and what legal arguments I would bring up when answering this question!

Would be really grateful if I could get some help
The thrust of the question is, "What ways, other than judicial review, can you hold the executive to account and, are those means more effective than judicial review?"

In particular, you are looking at the political constitution and the means by which the executive can be held to account through political means: parliamentary scrutiny, conventions etc.

Then link it into judicial review, assessing how the political controls would be complementary to judicial review. In a recent debate on the Criminal Justice Bill, Lord Pannick remarked that judicial review holds individuals to account "not for the merits of the decisions, but for compliance with the law." Therefore, judicial review doesn't look into the merits of decisions; the political constitution does. That is why it is needed as a supplementary control mechanism.

Similarly, there are other legal control mechanisms. Judicial Inquiries are an obvious example.

That's about all I can think of for a rough answer.
JT2601
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thank you for your help!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (80)
67.23%
In the post (5)
4.2%
Text (16)
13.45%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (18)
15.13%

Watched Threads