Phd interview over Skype, What to expect? Watch

MegaMind67
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
I have recently been asked by a professor at the University of York to get formally interviewed tomorrow for a Phd Position. The position is in the Wireless Sensors domain in which I have already worked and produced a research paper. Any idea what the interview might be like? And what kind of technical questions they might ask me? I am having a panic attack right now and any help in this regard will be appreciated!
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Google is a good place to start.

PhD interview questions tend to be around why the Phd and uni and lab and why you want to do a PhD, what your career plans are. Technical questions will be about your current and previous work and techniques you've used and why and maybe about the actual PhD project and what you know about it.
MegaMind67
Rep:
?
The interview has been postponed till monday. Actually the project is not decided as such. I sent over my previous work and the professor has told me that my profile is a good fit for Phd. We will be discussing possible projects in the interview. What I am worried about is that I completed my Bachelors in 2012 and have not really been in touch with studies after that. I am worried if they ask me general technical questions related to studies I might blank out.
tariqfast
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi dear, I have PhD interview on Skype in Uni of York. My field is Cognitive Radio Networks. Can you please guide me what sort of questions were asked in your PhD interview?
tariqfast
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My interview is on Wednesday. Can you please let me know are you applying in Electronics Department?
MegaMind67
Rep:
?
First they discussed the possible projects with me. So it is important that you study the projects they are working on and are able to ask intelligent questions about them. Next the formal interview started in which they asked me questions about my research paper. So study all the research work you have done thoroughly. Go through the literature review and everything you had studied in the process. If you have used some mathematical models make sure that you know why you are using those specific models and what other models can be used. They might also relate your work to the work they are doing and ask you some hypothetical questions. Try to stay calm and relaxed, you do not have to answer every question correctly to get selected. Do your best and if you don't know something tell them. They just need to know that you have the analytical ability to undertake research at Phd level. All that I am telling you is from my experience, different professors might conduct interviews differently. Best of luck!
tariqfast
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you for the detailed answer. By the way who was your prospective professor? and did you offered phd position?
MegaMind67
Rep:
?
Paul Mitchell and John Dawson are my prospective supervisors. They have offered me a phd position, waiting for the official offer now.
tariqfast
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Where you from and did you apply for scholarship too or you have your on funding? I am willing to apply for Scholarship
MegaMind67
Rep:
?
I will be applying for scholarship once I get my offer. You will need to have an official offer before 31st April to be able to apply for the Overseas Research Scholarship. Do discuss this with your potential supervisors during the interview.
tariqfast
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ok, thank you for ur suggestions. I am also apply in Communication and Signal processing group but my prospective supervisor is Dr. David Grace
earthworm
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Part of this is checking that you are legit, they want to know that the person they can see on skype is the person that wrote the paper. UK unis in the past have had problems with having people interview very well by phone and have great CVs turn up and be awful students. This is because there was a problem with candidates having post docs and professors pretend to be the candidate in the phone interview
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?