General GCSE Grade boundaries Watch

This discussion is closed.
siliviax
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Just out of curiosity, I was just wondering what is the usual grade boundary for most of the GCSE examinations. I know that they vary dependant on the subject, examboard or tier but I was just wondering what it usually is as a rough estimate for the higher tier papers.

(e.g 60% > B < 70%) <- not true though.
Cellardore
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i would have thought about 55% or over for a C, but it all depends how well students did on a paper, therefore they might raise or lower the pass rate.
it has been possible in the past for the pass rate to be 60% and above but it depends.
If u get about 94% and above that is considered an A* OR 86% (roughly) and above is an A
it also depends on ur % coursework grade, altho in some subjects like maths and english it doesnt really make alot of difference unless u are on the borderline
altho i am not totally sure!
StarBlueUK
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It varies but it's usually:

75% - A
60% - B
50% - C
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Cellardore)
i would have thought about 55% or over for a C, but it all depends how well students did on a paper, therefore they might raise or lower the pass rate.
it has been possible in the past for the pass rate to be 60% and above but it depends.
If u get about 94% and above that is considered an A* OR 86% (roughly) and above is an A
it also depends on ur % coursework grade, altho in some subjects like maths and english it doesnt really make alot of difference unless u are on the borderline
altho i am not totally sure!
No offence, and I take on board the fact that these are just your rough estimations, but I feel they are rather unrealistic.

94% for an A* and 86% for an A, I somewhat doubt that.

I know that last year in AQA Mathematics GCSE (which I sat and got an A in) only 54% (raw mark) was required on one paper to get an A.

More often than not, I would say that the A usually hovers around 70% with A* maybe in the low 80s.

You have to remember that marks are standardised according to the difficulty of a paper, (I want to avoide any elaboration on the dreaded UMS system, in part because it confuses me ) in the hope of achieving a normal distribution of grades.

Therefore, there is no 'hard and fast' percentage for an A (in terms of raw marks) and it can fluctuate.
Cellardore
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mobbdeeprob)
No offence, and I take on board the fact that these are just your rough estimations, but I feel they are rather unrealistic.

94% for an A* and 86% for an A, I somewhat doubt that.

I know that last year in AQA Mathematics GCSE (which I sat and got an A in) only 54% (raw mark) was required on one paper to get an A.

More often than not, I would say that the A usually hovers around 70% with A* maybe in the low 80s.

You have to remember that marks are standardised according to the difficulty of a paper, (I want to avoide any elaboration on the dreaded UMS system, in part because it confuses me ) in the hope of achieving a normal <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=distribution&v=55"> distribution</a> of grades.

Therefore, there is no 'hard and fast' percentage for an A (in terms of raw marks) and it can fluctuate.
I was trying to get that across, that grades do flactuate according to how many ppl passed the paper, yes i agree that ur grade boundaries are a bit more realistic! but u never know with these examiners, grades can be so unpredictable
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
94% for an A*
a gcse i took needed 95% to get an a*
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
a gcse i took needed 95% to get an a*
Really? Which one?
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mobbdeeprob)
Really? Which one?
chinese :rolleyes:
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
last year to get an A* in Edexcel GCSE Drama you had to get a percentage well into the 90's...
manps
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have attached a file from the examiners report to an edexcel maths gcse sat in november 2002

As you can see the boundaries are generally in intervals of 20% (for higher papers)
Attached files
EconLou
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It varies so it is hard to say as a general guide i would say 75% for an A and 85% for an A*. The exam boards (AQA are very good) will show you the grade boundaries on their web site if you go under examiners reports and scroll down.
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've always thought that it was 70% for a B, 80% for an A and 90% for an A*... I've never really thought about what a C is though...
sparkly_tiara
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have just had a look on the AQA website at last years grade boundaries and for one of them you needed to get 147 marks out of 220 to get an A*. That doesn't seem like a really hard target, does it?

Lou
xxxx
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sparkly_tiara)
I have just had a look on the AQA website at last years grade boundaries and for one of them you needed to get 147 marks out of 220 to get an A*. That doesn't seem like a really hard target, does it?

Lou
xxxx
This is GCSE remember.
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sparkly_tiara)

Lou
xxxx
Not on the face of it, but having sat maths last year - and literally having put no answer for about 25% of the questions - it isn't all that easy (especially to get an A*).

Mind you, I heard that the Higher Tier maths papers have an equal proportion of questions from all the four grade bands (A*-C).

Therefore it makes sense that, being a so-so mathematician, I couldn't answer a lot of the questions as 20% are targeted at the A* grade.

What you have to remember though, is that it is NOT expected that even A* candidates can answer all (or even most) the A* band questions correctly - afterall, if you get the other 4/5 of the paper right (and answer no A* questions) you can get an A* quite easily, I would suspect.
X
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (35)
7.25%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (285)
59.01%
No (163)
33.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed