The Student Room Group

Life as a podiatry student

Any potential podiatry students wanting to know what the course really involves check out my blog:
podiatrystudentlouise.blog.com
happy to answer questions :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm looking to study podiatry next year hopefully at Birmingham met college and was wondering I as a mature student 20 years old have become a qualified pharmacy technician. I am currently working but feel I can do more to help patients. I've also just done some work shadowing at a podiatry clinic which was fascinating. What is the best way of writing my personal statement. I have made one I would like someone to have a second look to see what can be improved. Any suggestions are welcome. O n I am going to study an access course in science this September
Original post by Shoaiblfc05
Hi, I'm looking to study podiatry next year hopefully at Birmingham met college and was wondering I as a mature student 20 years old have become a qualified pharmacy technician. I am currently working but feel I can do more to help patients. I've also just done some work shadowing at a podiatry clinic which was fascinating. What is the best way of writing my personal statement. I have made one I would like someone to have a second look to see what can be improved. Any suggestions are welcome. O n I am going to study an access course in science this September

Hi, I know the feeling, I was a technician but it all become to profit based and like yourself wanted to do more to help patients. Best decision I ever made. I obviously cant tell you what is acceptable in a personal statement just advise..
Having the experience of shadowing will give you a good basis and an insight into what podiatry involves (unis really like that you have made the effort to shadow), also the fact you are a technician so have experience working within a healthcare setting and understanding how to care and advise patients. Being a technician will come in useful during pharmacology. I didnt do the access course but there quite a few in my class that did, it really helps with many aspects especially physiology.
How is the degree like for you? Hard work? I have been searching for a career with lots of flexibility so far podiatry hits all. I last year left uni as I was doing pharmaceutical sciences but did not enjoy it at all. Ever since then I've been looking for the right degree course which contains clinics essays assignments and various other forms of assessment. So how are you finding the podiatry degree?
I love the course it's the best decision I've ever made, it's hard work but if you want it you'll mangage it. It's definetly a varied course with lots of different topics and methods to hold your interest. I keep a blog of uni life you may find it useful to read.
Yes I've checked your blog out thank you for that. What uni are you studying at? I was looking at either Birmingham, Brighton and Cardiff along with Huddersfield. I'm really looking forward to studying away from home to minimise any distractions. I live in Birmingham
Yes I've checked your blog out thank you for that. What uni are you studying at? I was looking at either Birmingham, Brighton and Cardiff along with Huddersfield. I'm really looking forward to studying away from home to minimise any distractions. I live in Birmingham

I lived in birmingham but moved to glasgow I attend glasgow caledonian university.
Nice. I hope you really enjoy it. I have not left home my self alone so if I do move I have the feeling I might get home sick. Although if I'm busy n kept occupied it shouldn't bother me. How are the podiatry facilities there? What other uni campuses did you visit which are exciting?
Nice. I hope you really enjoy it. I have not left home my self alone so if I do move I have the feeling I might get home sick. Although if I'm busy n kept occupied it shouldn't bother me. How are the podiatry facilities there? What other uni campuses did you visit which are exciting?

I can imagine you could get home sick but I'm sure you will have plenty of students who are in the same position. You are always kept busy. I actually didn't visit any campuses not even the Glasgow one so I hit lucky. I thoroughly enjoy the course and love our facilities we do lots of clinical hours which is fab. Course is 4 years in scotland and 3 in England :frown:
I hope to go for the three year course hopefully at one if the uni above which I mentioned. The Birmingham met college has no faculties other than the clinic which put me slightly off as it isn't the real uni experience. It is a college in the end of the day. Cardiff looks a nice place too which I'm considering along with Brighton
can i just ask did you do a access course prior to applying for pod? what advice would you give in order to have the best chance of getting a place?
I didn't do an access course prior to starting but quite a few on my course did and have found it really beneficial in bringing science based knowledge up to scratch. Especially when we actually go into more depth than you anticipate. The only advice I can give you is just make sure the universities can see you are really passionate about taking podiatry up. Highly recommend shadowing; there are so many routes within podiatry aswell so u may want to visit more than just one avenue. It's really focused on patient centered care so your background will be of value :smile:
I'm a pharmacy tech so I am predominantly in a healthcare setting related to patients. I have also done work shadowing a podiatrist lately so there's two references along with another from college. That should back me up as the admissions may see experience and potential. About the routes into podiatry some universities want access to science and some prefer access to health kind of annoying tbh.
hi, can i ask what is your way method in going over the stuff you have learnt meanig when youve had a lecture what is you way in recalling the info? im more into writing notes and reading the core text book by minimising it to my simple langage.
Hi, our lecturers at GCU are amazing don't know how it works elsewhere...
They record the lectures and then place lecture slides on our uni intranet for us to access anytime. I go through them and make my own notes and do any necessary further reading. All really depends what I'm studying, for eg anatomy I will draw and annotate. :smile:
Awesome and in terms of essays, coursework or practicals how much volume is there? What proportion is exam based?
I'm also considering gcu so I would like to know how the place is for e.g the accommodation is it a nice place to stay with minimal distractions? What other facilities are available to students like sport?
I don't know about the accomodation but I haven't heard of any complaints thus far. There are loads of sports clubs available we have an onsight gym, climbing wall, badminton courts etc.
Not sure if it will remain the same but year 1 for me consisted of; trimester A: 2 exams(anatomy and podiatry theory) and essay before Xmas, 1 exam (physiology) in January. Trimester B: essay, lab report, practical clinic exam and 4 other exams (anatomy, physiology, podiatry theory, clinical theory). :smile:
The workload is enough I guess lol. Well I'll defo consider gcu. Where are you staying and any recommendation besides the halls?
The workload is definitely manageable my message made it sound horrendous:frown: I've got people on my course from all over glasgow and surrounding areas. Your best bet maybe to try a forum on here about accomodation :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest