Should i deliberately fail my second year at uni? Watch

Ab1000
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm currently doing a computer systems engineering course in Hull and I'm struggling badly in it. Despite seeking help, I cannot get the hang of coding and have lost any passion I once had for it. I want to transfer to Information Systems as it is less to do with coding and more focused on the business side and having looked at the modules, looks like a course I would be doing much better in.

However, I have learnt that I can't change into it on my third year as I haven't taken the second year modules and I'm not allowed to repeat the second year in a different course as they both share a module which I have already passed. Out of the 4 modules I have left to do, it looks like I will fail 1-2 modules this year and narrowly pass the others but now I'm considering potentially failing all my remaining modules so I can move to a course I can do much better in.

I admit I do not feel comfortable with the idea of trying to deliberately fail my modules but at the same time, having looked the third year's material, I fear I won't do well in that either and if I don't end up failing, the highest mark I'll probably get is a third or ordinary degree, which in my opinion is almost not worth it.

What should I do?

P.S. in case you're wondering I'm even doing a computing course if I hate coding, I was one of those idiots who couldn't tell the difference between ICT and Computer programming

P.SS If I just fail 1 or 2 modules, the marks would be capped at 40% for resits and if I failed those I would have to do the third year while resitting those modules, meaning I would have to do 7 modules in my third year

The only transfer I can request would have to be for next year which isn't allowed as by then I would have finished the year and unless I've failed it, I can't repeat the year in any courses

I actually asked an academic officer. She was the one who told me this
Amidogen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey,

Have you got a tutor/academic officer that you could speak to and explain your situation? I'm sure they would rather you change to a course that you will do well in. I definitely wouldn't deliberately fail your modules though, as that doesn't help anyone.
Oshi
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Surely doing your best in the exams would improve your chances at changing course? i.e. making you not look like a crap student.
Ryanx623
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You should never deliberately fail anything, Request a transfer to a course you can do, or drop it.
Ab1000
Rep:
?
The problem is that I can't transfer to another computer related course because I need to have done the second year modules which I'm also not allowed to do as I have already completed modules that the two courses share.
In addition if I just fail 1 or 2 modules, the marks would be capped at 40% for resits and if I failed those I would have to do the third year while resitting those modules, meaning I would have to do 7 modules in my third year
Ab1000
Rep:
?
The only transfer I can request would have to be for next year which isn't allowed as by then I would have finished the year and unless I've failed it, I can't repeat the year in any courses

I actually asked an academic officer. She was the one who told me this
tinkerbell_xxx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ab1000)
The problem is that I can't transfer to another computer related course because I need to have done the second year modules which I'm also not allowed to do as I have already completed modules that the two courses share.
In addition if I just fail 1 or 2 modules, the marks would be capped at 40% for resits and if I failed those I would have to do the third year while resitting those modules, meaning I would have to do 7 modules in my third year
Don't deliberately fail your modules! It won't help you and if you have to retake in the third year, it will drag down your marks.

I know what you mean with struggling with coding but isn't there any support tutors who would help you? I struggle with coding too but spending an hour with a support tutor helps a lot
k3ro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm currently doing a computer systems engineering course in Hull and I'm struggling badly in it. Despite seeking help, I cannot get the hang of coding and have lost any passion I once had for it. I want to transfer to Information Systems as it is less to do with coding and more focused on the business side and having looked at the modules, looks like a course I would be doing much better in.

However, I have learnt that I can't change into it on my third year as I haven't taken the second year modules and I'm not allowed to repeat the second year in a different course as they both share a module which I have already passed. Out of the 4 modules I have left to do, it looks like I will fail 1-2 modules this year and narrowly pass the others but now I'm considering potentially failing all my remaining modules so I can move to a course I can do much better in.

I admit I do not feel comfortable with the idea of trying to deliberately fail my modules but at the same time, having looked the third year's material, I fear I won't do well in that either and if I don't end up failing, the highest mark I'll probably get is a third or ordinary degree, which in my opinion is almost not worth it.

What should I do?

P.S. in case you're wondering I'm even doing a computing course if I hate coding, I was one of those idiots who couldn't tell the difference between ICT and Computer programming
Something important to note: if you plan on purposely failing the year, don't just skip your exams. If you do this, your uni might refuse to let you swap courses and will instead just kick you out.

Can you not request a transfer to the course now? Is there someone at the uni you can explain your situation to? Failing purposely is never a good idea, but if passing means you 100% cannot transfer to the other course (idk why they oppose you doing the same module twice?) then you might not have any choice. Seems like a dumb policy though.

Student finance fund you for your course + 1 year so funding isn't a problem regardless.
Amidogen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why does having already completed the shared modules make it a problem to change, surely that's a good thing?
Ab1000
Rep:
?
I think they object to me doing the shared module as they consider it an unfair advantage if I've already done it

I do not plan on skipping the exams

I told the academic office that I wanted to transfer for next year and was refused. Are you saying that I should re ask to change over now?
Amidogen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If they consider it an unfair advantage, could they not give you extra modules to compensate?
Ab1000
Rep:
?
I don't know. it's a core module but I've never heard of given extra modules
k3ro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think they object to me doing the shared module as they consider it an unfair advantage if I've already done it

I do not plan on skipping the exams

I told the academic office that I wanted to transfer for next year and was refused. Are you saying that I should re ask to change over now?
...Why can't you do the year, minus the module you've already passed? I know people at my uni who have to repeat years, but don't have to repeat all of the modules.

If they've denied your transfer then I can't see much else you can do. Have you looked at applying to the same course at different universities?
Ab1000
Rep:
?
I have not actually made a transfer, I only asked if it was possible and told it wasn't. Do you reckon I should try anyway

I don't really want to change uni's as I rather enjoy at Hull. it's just my degree that the problem
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have not actually made a transfer, I only asked if it was possible and told it wasn't. Do you reckon I should try anyway

I don't really want to change uni's as I rather enjoy at Hull. it's just my degree that the problem
Rather than speaking to the academic office (who are administrators who may not know all of the regulations) you need to speak to your senior tutor about this - they can make a recommendation to the student progress committee who can approve requests of this type.

http://www2.hull.ac.uk/student/stude...committee.aspx

The student union advice centre should be able to help http://hullstudent.com/welfare/advice-centre they're local experts on the policies, procedures and regulations of Hull - and they're on your side.
Ab1000
Rep:
?
Alright, i'll try to see them tomorrow or next week and see what will happen
Ab1000
Rep:
?
just talked to the academic office again - she clarified that as i'm currently doing year 2 modules, i can only chose to transfer to a course in it's third year, which i cant do as information systems requires a different set of modules to be done in the second year
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
just talked to the academic office again - she clarified that as i'm currently doing year 2 modules, i can only chose to transfer to a course in it's third year, which i cant do as information systems requires a different set of modules to be done in the second year
As I said above - the academic office are administrative staff. They know the standard rules.

If you want to be allowed to do something that isn't allowed by those rules you need to talk to your senior tutor and get them to recommend you be allowed to resit year 2 with new modules to the Student Progress Committee which has the POWER to make a decision to allow you to do this.

Speak to your senior tutor and speak to your student union.
Asking the same questions to the same administrators again and again will get you the same answers.
Ab1000
Rep:
?
Thanks, I will do this. Any advice on what I should say to convince them to do this because i'm not sure on what to say?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.49%
Excited (156)
9.1%
Worried (306)
17.85%
Terrified (381)
22.23%
Meh (169)
9.86%
Confused (37)
2.16%