Best university to study a journalism MA in UK?

Watch
me_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there,

So I'm currently studying English lit at uni and will be in my last year this September. I plan on following a career in journalism where I have some experience in newspapers (currently in the process of gaining more).

I plan to do an MA in Journalism. I'm currently based in Northern Ireland but would be willing to re-locate elsewhere in the UK, preferably Glasgow, Manchester or London where there is more journalism work. I am aware that Ulster University has a very good journalism MA course which is certainly an option but I feel I need to take the chance of moving away to a more cosmopolitan city.

I have heard good things about the likes of Cardiff and Sheffield but can anyone recommend me courses they thought they were good or any advice in general?

Niamh
AliBonce
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by me_)
Hi there,

So I'm currently studying English lit at uni and will be in my last year this September. I plan on following a career in journalism where I have some experience in newspapers (currently in the process of gaining more).

I plan to do an MA in Journalism. I'm currently based in Northern Ireland but would be willing to re-locate elsewhere in the UK, preferably Glasgow, Manchester or London where there is more journalism work. I am aware that Ulster University has a very good journalism MA course which is certainly an option but I feel I need to take the chance of moving away to a more cosmopolitan city.

I have heard good things about the likes of Cardiff and Sheffield but can anyone recommend me courses they thought they were good or any advice in general?

Niamh
Hi Naimh

I studied Multimedia Journalism at Bournemouth University from 2007-2010. This was a BA, and I was tempted to go on to do the MA, but was told that the MA was basically very similar to the BA but compacted into one year. Therefore I can tell you a bit about my experience on the BA, and maybe that will be useful for you! (By the way - I am back at BU doing an MA in video editing, so I'm still in touch with whats going on with the campus and the staff).

The Multimedia Journalism course was very varied and all-encompassing, which I loved. It taught me how to write for newspaper, magazine, online, radio and TV, as well as presenting, filming and editing news programmes. As well as this, we learned about recent world politics (from the cold war up to the unrest in the middle east), and we also learned short hand.

The facilities are excellent and the uni has pumped millions of pounds into the Media School - there is a large TV studio with green screen, as well as 2 Arr Alexas, 3 Canon C300s and lots of HD Panasonic and Canon DSLR cameras.

The course is the only one in the UK to be accredited by the NUJ, and as a part of the course comes with an NCTJ accreditation, which is normally something newspapers expect you to have before you can work as a journalist.

The tutors are very experienced and some of them are either still working in the industry, or are studying PHDs, meaning they know their stuff!

I love the campus - it's large but not sprawling. Everything you need is in one place; a bank, book store, student shop, cafes, restaurants, the uni bar, library, and the new student centre housing the students' union.

I hope this has been useful to you. If there's anything else I can help with then do let me know and I will try to answer your questions

Alice
sydneybridge
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
City University.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads