The Student Room Group

can i re apply for student finance after failed 1 year foundation?

Hi, When I left school at 18 I didn't know exactly what i wanted to do so i picked a science foundation course as I had 3 social science A Levels and no experience in the lab since GCSE and thought it would be a good place to start. Anyway, I didn't get on with the course and it just wasn't for me + issues in my personal life resulted in me failing (silly I know). I took 3 years out to work and making money.

since then I've found an interest in textiles and I've realized surface pattern is what I really want to do! Because of my lack of art/textiles qualifications ( I self taught and went to local classes / only have GCSE's) I've been accepted for a foundation art and design course and after that I will be hopefully be going on to a 3 year degree.

I'm worried that I will be turned down for student finance (I will be ringing SF tomorrow but would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience).

I have read that you can get funding for the course time (4 years) + 1 year - the amount of years you've had funding for in the past (1 year) so it should be okay for me but I've read terrible stories like mine that they have just said no. Especially when I failed the first course (biggest mistake of my life, such a waste).

Has anyone had experience with this kind of thing.
(just realised how long this post is, sorry!)
Reply 1
It doesn't sound like you will be funded for the art foundation but you will be ok for the degree. You get funded for the length of your degree plus a spare year. So you've used your spare year and will likely have to find the fees unless your university has some sort of additional help, or if you can apply for compelling personal reasons for not completing the first one. Do check with SF though.
Reply 2
oh really, I thought it was the amount of time enrolled at the university as in the three years plus the foundation plus as one then plus a year, minus the amount I've already spent studying before. The personal reasons could be hard to find proof for after all these years. Yea I will ring them tomorrow, thanks for your reply.
Original post by cspencer
Hi, When I left school at 18 I didn't know exactly what i wanted to do so i picked a science foundation course as I had 3 social science A Levels and no experience in the lab since GCSE and thought it would be a good place to start. Anyway, I didn't get on with the course and it just wasn't for me + issues in my personal life resulted in me failing (silly I know). I took 3 years out to work and making money.

since then I've found an interest in textiles and I've realized surface pattern is what I really want to do! Because of my lack of art/textiles qualifications ( I self taught and went to local classes / only have GCSE's) I've been accepted for a foundation art and design course and after that I will be hopefully be going on to a 3 year degree.

I'm worried that I will be turned down for student finance (I will be ringing SF tomorrow but would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience).

I have read that you can get funding for the course time (4 years) + 1 year - the amount of years you've had funding for in the past (1 year) so it should be okay for me but I've read terrible stories like mine that they have just said no. Especially when I failed the first course (biggest mistake of my life, such a waste).

Has anyone had experience with this kind of thing.
(just realised how long this post is, sorry!)

you can't get student finance for an art foundation degree. if your under 19 the course is free, otherwise you have to pay and there is no living costs help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending