LSE or UCL Watch

Veron2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I have got offers from UCL for MSc Public Policy and from LSE for MSc Public Management and Governance. Both programmes are quite similar, so I'm more concerned about the reputation of both universities overall and in terms of public policy.

Thanks
jco19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In terms of reputation? LSE obviously. It's the number one school in London and third in the leagues table. LSE has an international reputation but UCL not so much. To be honest I'm not sure if there's any major difference between public policy / social policy, but LSE is number one in the leagues subject table for the latter.
JamjamjamT
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Veron2)
Hi,

I have got offers from UCL for MSc Public Policy and from LSE for MSc Public Management and Governance. Both programmes are quite similar, so I'm more concerned about the reputation of both universities overall and in terms of public policy.

Thanks
Think about why you applied to both of them.

For me, it was always about LSE but as a back up, I also applied to UCL and I got offers from them both. It was a no brainer for me though.
vela1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For rep LSE is better. You'll still go places if you go for UCL.
Veron2
Rep:
?
(Original post by jco19)
In terms of reputation? LSE obviously. It's the number one school in London and third in the leagues table. LSE has an international reputation but UCL not so much. To be honest I'm not sure if there's any major difference between public policy / social policy, but LSE is number one in the leagues subject table for the latter.
But UCL outperforms LSE in international rankings and vice versa in national rankings? Also, UCL's programme is based in School of Public Policy while LSE's PMG programme is based in the Department of Management, do you think this makes any difference?

Social policy is part of public policy but the latter is broader which includes all other types of policies such as political and economic policies.
StretfordEnd
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
But UCL outperforms LSE in international rankings and vice versa in national rankings? Also, UCL's programme is based in School of Public Policy while LSE's PMG programme is based in the Department of Management, do you think this makes any difference?

Social policy is part of public policy but the latter is broader which includes all other types of policies such as political and economic policies.
The QS university rankings classes 'social sciences and management' as a single faculty and based on that, LSE is 2nd in the world only to Harvard. UCL is 40th.

http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search=

But if I'm honest it really doesn't matter. Even though the courses are similar consider:

1. which is more appealing to you
2. What kind of career you want?
Dilzo999
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you're going by reputation I'd say LSE but I wouldn't advise going by reputation.
LutherVan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

Thanks
Overall reputation LSE > UCL.

Public Policy reputation LSE > UCL.

So, obviously, LSE wins this.
WokSz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

Thanks
Both have an amazing reputation, especially for public policy. I would honestly choose LSE, though. This is purely based on reputation!
AQUF42
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Always remember one thing
No doubt its a no brainer that LSE over UCL

But as far as world rankings go you will always see unis which do medicine ranked higher than those who do not do medicine

there is no other reason
GandalfWhite
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
LSE has the edge, especially internationally, although UCL is a great place to study too.
Wahrheit
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Literally the only thing people here seem to care about is minor prestige bonus...

Which course do you like the look of better? Which university do you get a better vibe from? Personally I didn't apply to LSE because I didn't like the look of the culture. Everyone is different.
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hmm.

I suggest you go and meet a few people from LSE and UCL before making your decision.

As someone Wahrheit says, the LSE culture is not for everyone.
Veron2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wahrheit)
Literally the only thing people here seem to care about is minor prestige bonus...

Which course do you like the look of better? Which university do you get a better vibe from? Personally I didn't apply to LSE because I didn't like the look of the culture. Everyone is different.
Could you please explain what is the culture you refer to?
Veron2
Rep:
?
(Original post by TurboCretin)
Hmm.

I suggest you go and meet a few people from LSE and UCL before making your decision.

As someone Wahrheit says, the LSE culture is not for everyone.
What do you mean by LSE culture?
User1686961
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Cannot go wrong with either

Have fun and study hard
Wahrheit
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Could you please explain what is the culture you refer to?
It's hard to explain a culture. It's very career focused, otherwise I can't really say anything else other than I don't like the feel of it. Best thing to do to try and understand it is to visit and read lots of different sources.
seaholme
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think LSE is reknowned for being quite intense and obviously lots of international students. But then UCL also has loads of international students.

For a course like yours, LSE obviously has the rep in that sphere of politics/economics/law/maths, as that's all it does, but it's also worth thinking about what you're interested in within the world of public policy.

UCL is known for being massive on health research and they have a big department for International Health and development etc., plus it's got multi-disciplinary stuff in a way that LSE doesn't by offering things like civil engineering and architecture, and so if you were interested in that side of public policy then perhaps you'd find more things up your street at UCL, even though LSE has the rep on the whole. I don't claim to know too much but you should maybe investigate a bit more about what modules you're going to cover and what opportunities there are in each re: where you want to go after your masters.

Both Universities are well rated, you can't go wrong with either.
AQUF42
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Its quite obvious
LSE any day over UCL for
straight econ
AQUF42
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Second choice would ve Warwick
and third would be UCL
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London School of Economics and Political Science
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (64)
15.42%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (42)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
18.8%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (60)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (45)
10.84%
How can I be the best version of myself? (126)
30.36%

Watched Threads