The Student Room Group

Mature Student, been out of education for ~2 years

Hey, just wondering if anyone has any advice on writing a personal statement as a mature student after graduating from an undergrad degree 2 years ago?

I finished my Psychology degree in 2013 and want to apply for Occupational Therapy, BSc, 2016 entry. I don't want to do the Masters as I feel with such a hands on course I want the full time there and the placements etc.

I'm largely struggling with a) cutting my work experiences down to anything other than a massive chunk of brain spew and b) working my current job role and previous education into the statement. I know at interview I'll be able to relate it all but getting the interview is the problem!

I've got some time for this but really want to get this down soon so I can edit away.
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Hey, just wondering if anyone has any advice on writing a personal statement as a mature student after graduating from an undergrad degree 2 years ago?

I finished my Psychology degree in 2013 and want to apply for Occupational Therapy, BSc, 2016 entry. I don't want to do the Masters as I feel with such a hands on course I want the full time there and the placements etc.

I'm largely struggling with a) cutting my work experiences down to anything other than a massive chunk of brain spew and b) working my current job role and previous education into the statement. I know at interview I'll be able to relate it all but getting the interview is the problem!

I've got some time for this but really want to get this down soon so I can edit away.

If you're stuggling with structure then the PS builder tool is worth using: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/personal_statement_builder/make_some_notes

It gives an idea of what topics to include, how to order them and the prominence to give to each section (ie it will flag up clearly if you're writing too much on one topic and not enough on another).
I finished undergrad in 2010 and am going back to uni this fall. The personal statement wasn't all that hard. Just write about your experiences and how they feed into your desire to join your chosen program. It isn't rocket science and definitely not worth paying someone a bunch of money to write for you or losing sleep over.

The format is simple,

[what you did in undergrad]
+
[what you have done since]
+
[why you want to go back to uni, what will this lead to]
+
[nod to undergrad grades and employment record]

that's it.

I got into every place I applied
Original post by crazycanuck
I finished undergrad in 2010 and am going back to uni this fall. The personal statement wasn't all that hard. Just write about your experiences and how they feed into your desire to join your chosen program. It isn't rocket science and definitely not worth paying someone a bunch of money to write for you or losing sleep over.

The format is simple,

[what you did in undergrad]
+
[what you have done since]
+
[why you want to go back to uni, what will this lead to]
+
[nod to undergrad grades and employment record]

that's it.

I got into every place I applied

You need to be careful that the PS doesn't sound like a life story. A mature student PS might be slightly different to ones written by an 18 year old, but should still focus mostly on the course and interest in that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending