Should I take History or Geography for my GCSEs?

Watch
Incursio
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys! I was wondering, which GCSE would be better to take? History, or Geography? I love both equally, and my marks are honestly roughly the same in both subjects, but I'm confused in making a choice. Which one is better to pick and why? Does one have more benefits over the other? Thanks.
_ariane29
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would say both are equally credit worthy If you like writing essays then choose history but if you prefer more sciencey subjects, choose geography. Both require quite a lot of memorising, in history theres a lot of dates and facts and in geography there's a lot of case studied to learn. Personally, I think geography is easier because some of it you can get away with just using common sense, unlike history.

Choose which ever one you are most comfortable with, if any. You can always do either at a level without doing GCSE
turn-to-page394
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Any ideas for the future? If you want to take history for example then your choice is obvious!

Your gcse choice doesn't really matter / one doesn't have benefits over the other - maybe have a look at the specification and what exactly you're learning? I despised learning about liberal reforms in history so can't bring myself to revise it... Whichever course appeals more? Ask your teachers about the course?

I do both. The difference in workload isn't great because I'm about as equally good at both of them. In geography, there is a significant amount of case studies you need to memorise though! Though the same could be said for History in terms of things you need to learn.

Worth noting that even when your marks are roughly the same, the grade boundary might be different. Just a thought.

Basically, there isn't a 'better' one to take. All down to personal preference.
Incursio
Rep:
?
(Original post by _ariane29)
I would say both are equally credit worthy If you like writing essays then choose history but if you prefer more sciencey subjects, choose geography. Both require quite a lot of memorising, in history theres a lot of dates and facts and in geography there's a lot of case studied to learn. Personally, I think geography is easier because some of it you can get away with just using common sense, unlike history.

Choose which ever one you are most comfortable with, if any. You can always do either at a level without doing GCSE
Dates are not that much of a hassle to learn, but what would one have to learn for the case studies?
Incursio
Rep:
?
(Original post by turn-to-page394)
Any ideas for the future? If you want to take history for example then your choice is obvious!

Your gcse choice doesn't really matter / one doesn't have benefits over the other - maybe have a look at the specification and what exactly you're learning? I despised learning about liberal reforms in history so can't bring myself to revise it... Whichever course appeals more? Ask your teachers about the course?

I do both. The difference in workload isn't great because I'm about as equally good at both of them. In geography, there is a significant amount of case studies you need to memorise though! Though the same could be said for History in terms of things you need to learn.

Worth noting that even when your marks are roughly the same, the grade boundary might be different. Just a thought.

Basically, there isn't a 'better' one to take. All down to personal preference.
Well, I would like to go in the medical field, so I don't see geography or history really helping; maybe only the history of medicine. I'd just like to pick a GCSE that has interesting content and that I could do well in, both interest me equally and I get roughly the same marks, so I'm conflicted between choices.
turn-to-page394
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Incursio)
Dates are not that much of a hassle to learn, but what would one have to learn for the case studies?
Statistics, 'place specifics' (place names etc).

Well, I would like to go in the medical field, so I don't see geography or history really helping; maybe only the history of medicine. I'd just like to pick a GCSE that has interesting content and that I could do well in, both interest me equally and I get roughly the same marks, so I'm conflicted between choices.
Well, like I said, have a look at the course content and what topics you're going to be learning - it might make a difference - I like Geography topics such as 'restless earth' but can't stand 'water on the land'....
History - which periods would you be learning about? etc.

This is probably the only deciding factor I can think of atm.

Just choose one really. Or take both.
_ariane29
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Incursio)
The specifics of an event that relatedto a topic in the exam. Eg, the date, location, cause of a specific coastal flooding
Lkathryn08
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For me I noticed geography was a lot less work than history and its a lot easier, I got full UMS in my exams and I didn't try harder in geography than in any other subject. Loads of people were doing 50 page history coursework and I was just doing some 1500 word coursework on bus stops (yes I did a whole coursework piece on transport and it was mainly bus stops). There are some interesting and some boring parts but it's manageable and they're both well respected.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.67%
No (251)
72.33%

Watched Threads