The Student Room Group

next to of course god america i

At school I've been asked to research and analyse next to of course god america i then share with the others, but I'm really struggling! I've found some background on E.E. Cummings on BBC Bitesize, but no analysis of individual lines, which I could really do with.
If anyone else studies this poem I'd appreciate any help you can give! Thanks!
It's basically about patriotism and mocking it by its gibberish language, a parody of the American anthem.

"why talk of beauty what could be more beaut-
iful than these heroic happy dead

who rushed like lions to the roaring slaughter"

Mocking the idea of patriotism. Note how the soldiers are described as lions but it's the 'slaughter' that's roaring, not them.

"they did not stop to think they died instead"

Self explanatory.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Protégé
It's basically about patriotism and mocking it by its gibberish language, a parody of the American anthem.

"why talk of beauty what could be more beaut-
iful than these heroic happy dead

who rushed like lions to the roaring slaughter"

Mocking the idea of patriotism. Note how the soldiers are described as lions but it's the 'slaughter' that's roaring, not them.

"they did not stop to think they died instead"

Self explanatory.

Thank you! That was really helpful :smile:
I feel like the enjambment of 'beautiful' might be meant to mean something but I've no idea what :s-smilie: Any ideas?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1429302719.285531.jpg

Here are my GCSE annotations if they help, sorry about the state of my writing!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy99needshelp
Thank you! That was really helpful :smile:
I feel like the enjambment of 'beautiful' might be meant to mean something but I've no idea what :s-smilie: Any ideas?

You're welcome. :smile:

You could say that it's talking about the idea of how dying for your country is seen as heroic, the poet is mocking the notion that it's great to die for your country blindly.
Original post by chlo_evans
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1429302719.285531.jpg

Here are my GCSE annotations if they help, sorry about the state of my writing!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! That's really helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending