The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hey since im from ireland i dnt reali no wat it wud b like 2 live in edinburgh,liverpool or glasgow so im bit confused on wat unis to apply to in england? if ne1 is from ne of these places cud they give me thier views of these places i wud appreciate it!jus general stuff bout the city life,social life etc! 4 sum reason i feel more attracted to liverpool nd glasgow dnt no y tho!!:smile: thanks
Reply 41
donalfegan
hey since im from ireland i dnt reali no wat it wud b like 2 live in edinburgh,liverpool or glasgow so im bit confused on wat unis to apply to in england? if ne1 is from ne of these places cud they give me thier views of these places i wud appreciate it!jus general stuff bout the city life,social life etc! 4 sum reason i feel more attracted to liverpool nd glasgow dnt no y tho!!:smile: thanks

you could try looking in the university forums (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16) for each of the places where you're thinking of going, they have loads of peoples opinions in not just vetties hehe!
Reply 42
Wise decision! As i am from liverpool I can tell you all you need to know! I think that its an amazing city! We have 3 unis and liverpool has an excellent reputation (as a vet school). In general liverpool has everything you could want and the night life here is amazing! Also we will be capital of culture in 2008 which will be boss and because of this there are lots of new developments happening and improvements being made to the city! This is my view even if it is a bit biased. Id advise you to try n visit open days before you decide which uni you prefer! Its all personal choice at the end of the day (also which unis accept you)! But may I just say LIVERPOOL ROCKS!!!!!:smile:
hey im lookin to do veterinary next year and i was wondering wat sort of wrk experience is most important? my da and my uncle r both vets so it wil b easy to get loads of experience in veterinary practice but i was wondering is it also important to get experience of farming such as calving and lambing? cud ne1 give me ne advice, cheers
Reply 44
i think liverpool has the highest work experience requirements so if you meet their requirements you're sorted for the other unis!
liverpool asks for 4 weeks in vets practices and 6 weeks other experience
i've personally found my non vet work experience to be the most useful, lambings great! and i loved the dairy farm i worked at too
its good to have a wide range of things, for example, kennels, dairy farming, lambing, working with horses are all really useful, also if you can get a long term placement it shows commitment, like i've worked at a donkey sanctuary/animal centre for the last 5 years!
there should be a work experience thread around somewhere thats got loads of peoples different experiences in that should help if you search for it!
Reply 45
Bristol gave me an offer on Friday after my interview on Wednesday, AAB. However since I already have an A in Maths because I did it a year early, they said I need AB this year in Biology and Chemistry.

Applying for Veterinary Medicine for 2007 entry:

Cambridge (Selwyn): Rejection after interview
Bristol: Interview 24th January, now AB offer
Nottingham: Interview 1st February
RVC: Interview 1st March

GCSE's: 9A* 1A
AS: AAB in Biology, Spanish, and Chemistry
A2: A in Mathematics (taken a year early)

Also taking A2 Further Mathematics
University: LIVERPOOL
Year of Entry: 2007
Offer:CONDITIONAL
Conditions: 2:1 (BSc)
Choice (1st, 2nd etc): NO PREFERENCE!
Reply 47
Hey, just thought id add to this thread:

RVC - Conditional - ABB for sept 2007
Cambridge - conditional - AAA for october 2007
Bristol - on hold :frown:
Liverpool - withdrawn

Cant decide between RVC and Cambridge... would anyone like to persuade me either way? Is Cambridge really as hard as I've heard and whats it like living in London?

Well done to all you guys with offers... will hopefully meet some of you later in the year!:smile: :cool:
Reply 48
Can't help you about London i'm afraid but as far as Cambridge is concerned I would say go for it. If you have managed to get an offer, you must be very clever anyway - they wouldn't accept you if they thought you weren't going to cope with the course. Cambridge is a very scientifically based course - probably not the best if you are only looking to get qualified quickly and aren't that interested in science itself. But....it is an amazing course and an amazing place full of wonderful opportunities. The tripos system is one of the major plus' - you can do pretty much any subject you want for the third year!
It really depends on if you want big city life....Cambridge isn't known for it's big nightclubs (a positive for some but it depends on taste) but in London you don't have the close knit communities of the colleges (and there are only vets + other animal science/vet nurses at the RVC). As for the reputation of Cambridge vets having no practical skills...from what I can gather, this is an outdated view and all the vet students I know there now/that have been there totally disagree.
Are you going to the offer holders day on the 8th Feb?...that would be a good way to decide if the course is for you.

Also, I notice that your RVC offer is lower than your Cambridge one....if you put RVC as your insurance then you have another chance if you miss your grades.

I hope this is at all helpful....from me, I would definitely say go to Cambridge (although I'm slightly biased as this is where I want to go!:smile: ) as I don't think you should give up such an amazing chance but I would probably advise visiting both places before making your decision.

xxxxxxxx

p.s. what college is your offer from?
To all those who got offers, my congrats you must be over the moon, I would be!!!
Reply 50
two22
Can't help you about London i'm afraid but as far as Cambridge is concerned I would say go for it. If you have managed to get an offer, you must be very clever anyway - they wouldn't accept you if they thought you weren't going to cope with the course. Cambridge is a very scientifically based course - probably not the best if you are only looking to get qualified quickly and aren't that interested in science itself. But....it is an amazing course and an amazing place full of wonderful opportunities. The tripos system is one of the major plus' - you can do pretty much any subject you want for the third year!
It really depends on if you want big city life....Cambridge isn't known for it's big nightclubs (a positive for some but it depends on taste) but in London you don't have the close knit communities of the colleges (and there are only vets + other animal science/vet nurses at the RVC). As for the reputation of Cambridge vets having no practical skills...from what I can gather, this is an outdated view and all the vet students I know there now/that have been there totally disagree.
Are you going to the offer holders day on the 8th Feb?...that would be a good way to decide if the course is for you.

Also, I notice that your RVC offer is lower than your Cambridge one....if you put RVC as your insurance then you have another chance if you miss your grades.

I hope this is at all helpful....from me, I would definitely say go to Cambridge (although I'm slightly biased as this is where I want to go!:smile: ) as I don't think you should give up such an amazing chance but I would probably advise visiting both places before making your decision.

xxxxxxxx

p.s. what college is your offer from?

Hey, thanks a lot for replying...i just wanted to get some other opinions about cambridge. I am going to the offer holders day on the 8th and I'll make my mind up after then i suppose. The college I've had an offer from is Fitz... I did like the look of the college when i went for interview so it will be interesting to see the actual vetschool. :smile:
thanks again. x
p.s. what college have you had an offer from?
Reply 51
My offer is from Girton....see you next Thursday then!
Hey two22 and Amy C!
I've got an offer from St. Catz, so I guess I'll being seeing you next Thursday too!
Reply 53
Well hopefully.....I am driving up and I have never driven on a motorway before (ahh:ahhhhh: ) and I don't know where I'm going, so the combination of trying to map read and master the art of motorway driving at the same time could mean I either end up somewhere completely different or in a lampost!
Anyone else out there going on Thursday??

xxxxx
Reply 54
Yup, I'll be there, though it's much easier for me, since I only live about 10 mins away from Cambridge anyway!
Reply 55
University: Edinburgh
Year of Entry: 2007
Offer:CONDITIONAL
Conditions: AAB with A in Chemistry
Choice (1st, 2nd etc): 1st/2nd

:party:
I'll be there on Thursday too! :biggrin:
hey im going up on thursday, well the day before, cant wait to look around the vet school this time knowing i actually have an offer!
see you all thursxxx
Reply 58
Ahhh.....just replied to my offers.
Scary Stuff!:eek: All I can say is that I hope I don't suddenly decide I hate Cambridge on Thursday.:smile:
xxx
two22 i see you have an offer of ABBB from edinburgh and i was wondering what 4 A levels you do? hope you can reply! cheera

Latest

Trending

Trending