The Student Room Group

Rough time stress and sadness advice?

In the last month or so, a lot of negative things have happened and it's left me constantly feeling down and anxious. Long story short, my mum found out about my boyfriend and said I don't have a future with him which has led to anxiety about the future and sadness about the situation to the point of me crying a lot, and crying myself to sleep most nights. Family things have happened which mean I'm rarely allowed out to see friends, leaving me constantly thinking and worrying, which always leads to me crying again. My gcse exams are in less than a month and I'm stressing about them but revision is sometimes stopped by my feeling anxious and, again, overthinking and upsetting myself. I'm trying to stay positive and my boyfriend really helps me feel happy again, but I can't be sure if I realistically have a future with him because of my family's attitudes towards it (it's complicated). There are people a lot worse off than me and I keep trying to make myself see the good things I have but I can't see anything really improving in the future and I'm so worried I won't ever be able to truly be happy and I don't know what to do :frown: to be honest, I'm not even sure what I'm hoping for in response to this or if it's even in the right place because I haven't been diagnosed with any mental illnesses or anything, I kind of just had to get it all down, but any advice on how to stop feeling anxious and sad about it all would be appreciated please
:hugs:

Sad and stressful things sometimes happen and can lead us to feeling down, you are doing the right thing by trying to stay optimistic, though it's normal to feel upset and time is a great healer. You said you can't see your friends but hopefully you can keep in touch with them online, it's important to keep in contact with them for some support/caring/positivity/distraction.

If you feel like time isn't healing anything then you could try some further support, from your gp or maybe calling Samaritans to talk. I wouldn't get too hasty about diagnosing yourself with mental illness, it's is normal to feel sad sometimes I'm the face of stress - if you are worried it is more serious your gp can be a good place to go or perhaps a school counsellor if you have one.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest