Pepsi Diet / Coca Cola Zero / Pepsi Max / Coca Cola Diet: no sugar, no calories? Watch

William Pitt
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi Fitness people,

I went home for Easter to Finland to revise in peace. The reality has been that I've been eating a lot of high calories food available for free at my home. I've missed all this lovely food so much. I am probably consuming 3-4 times as much food as I would normally do in the UK while doing revision. I drink the aforementioned fizzy drinks: coca cola zero / diet, pepsi max / diet in the process. This is not because of the taste but because of the lack of sugar which is unhealthy and I don't want to get any type of diabetes.

On the bottle of each it says 0g carbohydrate, 0g sugar, 0g fat and literally 1-2kcal per 250ml. This makes them appear as perfectly healthy drinks for consumption.

Is this really the case? Thanks
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For the purposes of weight loss, yes. Technically it does contain a caloric value but it's so negligible it's not counted for tracking. It also contains traces of caffeine which is good for that sort of thing.
asmaalim
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would seriously watch this interview if I was you OP: https://youtu.be/3W2zSN0JOa8
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not really... they are better than regular cola/pepsi etc, but still not healthy.

They have artificial sugar (mostly aspartame, which is linked with increased chances of cancer) and the same artificial colours and all those ingedients you cannot pronounce.

If you desperately need such drinks, do get the diet versions, but other than the calories don't expect any changes.
William Pitt
Rep:
?
(Original post by IanDangerously)
For the purposes of weight loss, yes. Technically it does contain a caloric value but it's so negligible it's not counted for tracking. It also contains traces of caffeine which is good for that sort of thing.
Is there no other side to this coin? If this is the case then I'm genuinely surprised they have no better PR and aren't more popular. Like you would want every costumer to know about 0 sugar and ridiculously low calories and that this is trustworthy and factually correct.

Apparently it's made out of vegetables.

Are the companies under legal obligation to provide accurate information of this kind?
William Pitt
Rep:
?
(Original post by *Stefan*)
still not healthy.

They have artificial sugar (mostly aspartame

If you desperately need such drinks, do get the diet versions, but other than the calories don't expect any changes.
Could you elaborate on the aspartame used and why is it not outlined in the nutrition information? How is it a different nutrition from standard sugar as it is actually labelled on the bottle as sweetener.

Aside from that I guess that change in calories is the most important thing. I mean, what other changes could I expect? A change from over 700kcal to under 10kcal is impressive.
Gaiaphage
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You won't get cancer from it, the only possible cancer-causing ingredient is phenylalanine and that's purely because there hasn't been enough time for studies to show it doesn't cause cancer.

The only negative effect of drinking these drinks is a slightly increased risk of Type II Diabetes. This isn't caused by high sugar levels (as it's sugar-free!) but by the fact that your body, in response to the sweet taste, releases lots of insulin even though there's no sugar. With excessive insulin in the blood comes increased risk of Type II Diabetes.

The increased risk of this is very small unless you drink huge quantities. So as long as it's just a couple of cans a day it shouldn't be a problem!

Edit: About aspartame, it's not even closely related to sugar. It's just a compound that tastes sweet, and your body breaks it down to other compounds (phenylalanine and others) that are still unrelated to sugar and therefore have no calories.
_Fergo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by William Pitt)
Could you elaborate on the aspartame used and why is it not outlined in the nutrition information? How is it a different nutrition from standard sugar as it is actually labelled on the bottle as sweetener.

Aside from that I guess that change in calories is the most important thing. I mean, what other changes could I expect? A change from over 700kcal to under 10kcal is impressive.
Aspartame is a sweetener, and it is the most commonly used one. Which sweetener does it mention on the nutriion information?

There are other sweeteners as well, but most products still use aspartame, which is why I mentioned it. You can read more about its dangers here.

Don't forget: calories are not the only issue here. Artificial colours and all those extra ingridients used are mostly bad for your body. If you'd like to lose weight, for example, you should cut out on these completely and never return. Not only will it make it easier for you to lose weight, but it'll ensure that you only consume healthy stuff, which these drinks are certainly not.

I'm not a doomsayer and will not claim "drinking cola will kill you", like many people do, because death from cola or other drinks is very rare. Still, they definitely are not healthy for you, so if you can stop consumption completely (even if gradually), do so!
William Pitt
Rep:
?
Aspartame is a sweetener, and it is the most commonly used one. Which sweetener does it mention on the nutriion information?

There are other sweeteners as well, but most products still use aspartame, which is why I mentioned it. (Stevia is the most healthy, for instance.)

Don't forget: calories are not the only issue here. Artificial colours and all those extra ingridients used are mostly bad for your body. If you'd like to lose weight, for example, you should cut out on these completely and never return. Not only will it make it easier for you to lose weight, but it'll ensure that you only consume healthy stuff, which these drinks are certainly not.

I'm not a doomsayer and will not claim "drinking cola will kill you", like many people do, because death from cola or other drinks is very rare. Still, they definitely are not healthy for you, so if you can stop consumption completely (even if gradually), do so!

I see. Thanks for all the information. I find it easy to loose weight because of my height so I never was paying much attention to the nutrition info. Recently I've decided to take a greater care of my health in general because I had some problems since moving to the UK. My main concern was probably the sugar part.
Europhile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just drink water. It's much healthier.
_Fergo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Europhile)
Just drink water. It's much healthier.
Nah... water is the most unhealthy drink one can have -I don't get people who drink it
Gaiaphage
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

There are other sweeteners as well, but most products still use aspartame, which is why I mentioned it. You can read more about its dangers here.

I just checked out that link you posted and I'm afraid it's complete and utter b*******. It says aspartame gives you AIDS, Mental Retardation and Multiple Sclerosis among other things! Where did they pull that from?!
Islamophile
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gaiaphage)
I just checked out that link you posted and I'm afraid it's complete and utter b*******. It says aspartame gives you AIDS, Mental Retardation and Multiple Sclerosis among other things! Where did they pull that from?!
Lol I like how pro-aspartame you are. You're not a PR man for Pepsi corporation are you?
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aspartame is the most studied additives on earth, with over 1000s of papers published on it. Whilst there was a brief scare over it being carcinogenic, it's been disproven by multiple studies.
Gaiaphage
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Islamophile)
Lol I like how pro-aspartame you are. You're not a PR man for Pepsi corporation are you?
Haha I'm not a PR guy! I'm just partly trying to find all the flaws so I don't feel guilty for drinking so much diet coke and partly because I've done a fair bit of previous research on it for various occasions :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.6%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.28%
No (175)
34.11%

Watched Threads