Guilt over deleting photos 6 years ago Watch

Caitlinnnmay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Here's what happened:

I was 11 years old on a holiday in Tunisia. It was our last day, we were waiting in the hotel lobby to leave and I was taking some last minute photos of the hotel, but I took one I didn't like. I didn't know how to use a camera at this age, so I pressed random buttons and next thing I know all the pictures were gone. I panicked. I didn't know what to do, all I could think was I didn't want to get in any trouble! So I took some more pictures ( probably not the right thing to do ) and asked my mum to delete them, thinking she can think it was her who deleted all the pictures. And it worked (I did feel bad though).

Now, 6 years later it feels like a burden, I feel so guilty for dele so any captured memories. I just want to bring the photos back

Does anyone know if I can actually retrieve them? If so, how? I am willing to pay money, but only if it's certain I will get the pictures back.

Thanks in advance
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Caitlinnnmay)
Here's what happened:

I was 11 years old on a holiday in Tunisia. It was our last day, we were waiting in the hotel lobby to leave and I was taking some last minute photos of the hotel, but I took one I didn't like. I didn't know how to use a camera at this age, so I pressed random buttons and next thing I know all the pictures were gone. I panicked. I didn't know what to do, all I could think was I didn't want to get in any trouble! So I took some more pictures ( probably not the right thing to do ) and asked my mum to delete them, thinking she can think it was her who deleted all the pictures. And it worked (I did feel bad though).

Now, 6 years later it feels like a burden, I feel so guilty for dele so any captured memories. I just want to bring the photos back

Does anyone know if I can actually retrieve them? If so, how? I am willing to pay money, but only if it's certain I will get the pictures back.

Thanks in advance
Has the memory card you used to take the photos been used again in those 6 years?
Caitlinnnmay
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
Has the memory card you used to take the photos been used again in those 6 years?
I will have to check when I'm home.

But I used it after I deleted them to take a few more then delete them, will that matter?
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Caitlinnnmay)
I will have to check when I'm home.

But I used it after I deleted them to take a few more then delete them, will that matter?
Yes, the more you write to a memory device (in this case, taking photos) the slimmer the chances are of recovering things you've deleted previously. I'm not hugely familiar with the subject, but if it's been used regularly over the course of six years it's not likely that the data for those photos will still be available.

Try out the different pieces of software in this article and hopefully something will be salvageable.

http://m.gadgets.ndtv.com/apps/featu...ry-card-514591
Caitlinnnmay
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
Yes, the more you write to a memory device (in this case, taking photos) the slimmer the chances are of recovering things you've deleted previously. I'm not hugely familiar with the subject, but if it's been used regularly over the course of six years it's not likely that the data for those photos will still be available.

Try out the different pieces of software in this article and hopefully something will be salvageable.

Thank you so much, I'll check them out tonight
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)

Filling in the gaps:

When data is written to the storage device, the start address and the length of the file are referenced by a unique name and that portion of memory is protected from being overwritten by new data.

When the image is deleted, only the unique name and hence the file start address and file length data are removed with the previously protected memory space returned for new use. The actual data may still be present. i.e. the portion of memory which contains the image data is no longer protected from being overwritten.

The probability that new data will overwrite the old data increases the more the storage device is used after the files are deleted.

Old images can therefore only be recovered if the old memory locations have remained untouched. Recovery software simply retrieves the data from all memory locations irrespective of what's now stored on them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (504)
59.72%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.09%
No- I want it (240)
28.44%
No- I don't want it (57)
6.75%

Watched Threads