Why would you vote for a party that are unlikely to win?

Watch
Farah_786
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Why don't the people of United Kingdom vote for either Conservation OR Labour. I mean one of these aprties are more likely to win in the general elecion. Obviously I understand the SNP as they want Scotland to have a voice in parliment so it is fine if the Scottish vote for them. Yet what is the point of the people of England voting for parties that are unlikely to win etc Lib Dems, UKIP, Green party... Isn't it just wasting a vote???
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
The Lib Dems did win last time...

You realise people vote for their MP, nobody votes for a PM or Government?

In short to show their support and get representation of their views in Parliament.
Dez
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Just because an MP is not in government doesn't mean they can't get things done. If anything, government MPs are the more restricted ones since they have to follow the party line on most issues.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I've said this before and I'll say it again: since when is the point of voting to back a winner, like betting on the horse racing?

A party does not need to win an election to have influence. They will still fight their corner in parliament. If UKIP win MPs, you have a good idea which way they will vote in parliament if the EU is brought up. Same with the Greens and environmental issues. Even without winning any MPs they will have influence if their vote share increases, and smaller parties benefit greatly if they start keeping their deposit more in elections. Increasing vote share and possibly winning MPs also means more coverage = more opportunity to spread their message.

The implication that you should vote for a party you disagree with simply because the party you actually support will not be in government is one I find absolutely disgusting.
jadechapell
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Quady
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RFowler)
I've said this before and I'll say it again: since when is the point of voting to back a winner, like betting on the horse racing?

A party does not need to win an election to have influence. They will still fight their corner in parliament. If UKIP win MPs, you have a good idea which way they will vote in parliament if the EU is brought up. Same with the Greens and environmental issues. Even without winning any MPs they will have influence if their vote share increases, and smaller parties benefit greatly if they start keeping their deposit more in elections. Increasing vote share and possibly winning MPs also means more coverage = more opportunity to spread their message.

The implication that you should vote for a party you disagree with simply because the party you actually support will not be in government is one I find absolutely disgusting.
Are you seriously going to consider all the candidates standing in your constituency?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.69%
Note taking apps (7)
1.86%
Flashcards (86)
22.81%
Revision guides (19)
5.04%
Past papers (172)
45.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.98%

Watched Threads