Lord of the flies help?? Watch

lisagroom14
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm studying Lord of the Flies for English Literature... i'm am currently a bit stuck on a question. The question is 'What do you think is the importance of the fire in Lord of the Flies? How does Golding present different ideas about the fire in the novel?' taken from the Jan 2013 paper. I would really appreciate any help and quotes that i could use that are explained for this question!
somethingbeautiful
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lisagroom14)
I'm studying Lord of the Flies for English Literature... i'm am currently a bit stuck on a question. The question is 'What do you think is the importance of the fire in Lord of the Flies? How does Golding present different ideas about the fire in the novel?' taken from the Jan 2013 paper. I would really appreciate any help and quotes that i could use that are explained for this question!
This might be helpful:

Spoiler:
Show
The Signal Fire

The signal fire burns on the mountain, and later on the beach, to attract the notice of passing ships that might be able to rescue the boys. As a result, the signal fire becomes a barometer of the boys’ connection to civilization. In the early parts of the novel, the fact that the boys maintain the fire is a sign that they want to be rescued and return to society. When the fire burns low or goes out, we realize that the boys have lost sight of their desire to be rescued and have accepted their savage lives on the island. The signal fire thus functions as a kind of measurement of the strength of the civilized instinct remaining on the island. Ironically, at the end of the novel, a fire finally summons a ship to the island, but not the signal fire. Instead, it is the fire of savagery—the forest fire Jack’s gang starts as part of his quest to hunt and kill Ralph.

Source: http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/flies/themes.html
lisagroom14
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
This might be helpful:

Source: http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/flies/themes.html
Ok thank you! i will give it a go!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19
  • De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (31)
11.03%
I used to but I don't now (10)
3.56%
No, but I want to start (104)
37.01%
No, I am unable to (59)
21%
No, I chose not to (77)
27.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise