The Student Room Group

Dyscalculia? Dyspraxia? Autism?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OU Student
Do you realise how rude that sounds?:mad: Some of those people classed as low functioning may "not be very clever"; but are very good artists.

Ignore him. He is probaby an elitist person.

To OP; You should not worry, It is not your fault but rather society has failed you because the general public is not well informed about people with Altruism, dslyxia, dyclacula (see, sometimes I have problem spelling) etc and are not fully prepared for dealing with people with such problems. I have dyscalculia problems, but I suppress it because I want to do well in C1, C2 and C3 maths to do science at Uni. I have mood swings and just suffered severe depression. I was raised in an environment where people just don't understand these things and professionals (in school or work) will put someone like me and you in an 'special' needs class, not able to do the best of our abilities. But I am sure you will do well. You just need to discover what you enjoy and do best. I draw sometimes, to relieve stress and focus.
Just a warning about going to the GP based on my own experiences on this: They may end up being quite useless. This doesn't mean you shouldn't go to them, they could help and for a lot of people they do, but not all of them do.

I've got a psychologist's report confirming I have dyslexia and dyspraxia and saying I should be referred by a GP to a physiotherapist and an occupational therapist, because my dyspraxia causes a lot of physical problems for me too. I went to the GP and they knew nothing about these conditions, dismissing the entire thing and saying I only just caught both my dyslexia and my dyspraxia and that they will disappear soon, and that was the doctor in charge of the surgery that said that!

Eventually I managed to convince a doctor that this is not something that's only just occurred (though they still aren't convinced I was born like this), so they checked me physically and decided to refer me to an occupation therapist - one that only deals with hand injuries. The OT told me they had been informed I had severe hand injuries, and they knew none of the truth about my hands (that I have very poor motor control and weakened muscles due to my dyspraxia, which it said clearly in the report the doctor hadn't bothered reading), so I showed them the report and they said I definitely do have dyspraxia and need help, but they aren't qualified to do so as they only do hand injuries. Meanwhile my GP still does nothing.

Whilst not all GPs are this bad, and mine is notoriously bad for most things, it's a possibility this could happen when you go to them, as unfortunately they are only trained in "common" stuff and "general" health and medicine, they unfortunately aren't taught anything like this as far as I know. But by all means try with the GP, you could even be really lucky and get one who has either been in this position or knows someone who is and can help you. The worst thing that can happen is they don't know what they are doing, in which case you simply try another option or another doctor.
Original post by RX-94-Harley
Just a warning about going to the GP based on my own experiences on this: They may end up being quite useless. This doesn't mean you shouldn't go to them, they could help and for a lot of people they do, but not all of them do.

I've got a psychologist's report confirming I have dyslexia and dyspraxia and saying I should be referred by a GP to a physiotherapist and an occupational therapist, because my dyspraxia causes a lot of physical problems for me too. I went to the GP and they knew nothing about these conditions, dismissing the entire thing and saying I only just caught both my dyslexia and my dyspraxia and that they will disappear soon, and that was the doctor in charge of the surgery that said that!

Eventually I managed to convince a doctor that this is not something that's only just occurred (though they still aren't convinced I was born like this), so they checked me physically and decided to refer me to an occupation therapist - one that only deals with hand injuries. The OT told me they had been informed I had severe hand injuries, and they knew none of the truth about my hands (that I have very poor motor control and weakened muscles due to my dyspraxia, which it said clearly in the report the doctor hadn't bothered reading), so I showed them the report and they said I definitely do have dyspraxia and need help, but they aren't qualified to do so as they only do hand injuries. Meanwhile my GP still does nothing.

Whilst not all GPs are this bad, and mine is notoriously bad for most things, it's a possibility this could happen when you go to them, as unfortunately they are only trained in "common" stuff and "general" health and medicine, they unfortunately aren't taught anything like this as far as I know. But by all means try with the GP, you could even be really lucky and get one who has either been in this position or knows someone who is and can help you. The worst thing that can happen is they don't know what they are doing, in which case you simply try another option or another doctor.

OT's are supposed to be qualified to diagnose dyspraxia as well as suggest way to help, one diagnosed me when i was 10 so you must have be incredibly unlucky getting a crappy ot but yeah gp's arent great on rare things like dyspraxia. I realised that as mine was mild after a handwriting course, the nhs discharged me so just found my own way though things :smile: but op the higher education is much more supportive so for most it gets better after leaving school
Original post by claireestelle
I ve actually met 2 others but still not many compared to the dyslexics i ve met ( theres one dyspraxic on my course and 5 dyslexics:P theres only 20 of us on the course ..)

So many people don't really know what dyspraxia is, like when you tell them you are dyspraxic they have no idea what you mean, but if you tell them you are dyslexic, they would know straight away.
Original post by moment of truth
So many people don't really know what dyspraxia is, like when you tell them you are dyspraxic they have no idea what you mean, but if you tell them you are dyslexic, they would know straight away.

Exactly. i always do my best to explain the difference between the two if i tell someone i m diagnosed with both
Update: went to doctor. She didn't know what dyscalculia is (eep), had a vague idea about dyspraxia. She's seeing about getting me referred to an autism service and hoping that they will know more than her about dyspraxia and dyscalculia I guess. I want an autism assessment anyway so at least (hopefully) one of the possibilities I raised in this thread will get addressed.
I think, in general, GPs don't know a huge amount about learning difficulties such as Dyscalculia. Although, I'm a bit surprised she doesn't know what it is.

The Autism assessment is usually done by Community Mental Health Team; (CMHT) so I don't think they'll help much with the Dyscalculia.
I think, in general, GPs don't know a huge amount about learning difficulties such as Dyscalculia. Although, I'm a bit surprised she doesn't know what it is.

The Autism assessment is usually done by Community Mental Health Team; (CMHT) so I don't think they'll help much with the Dyscalculia.

You would hope they do have reasonable knowledge of all learning difficulties and disabilities, after the decade + of medical training! :/
Original post by Anonymous
Update: went to doctor. She didn't know what dyscalculia is (eep), had a vague idea about dyspraxia. She's seeing about getting me referred to an autism service and hoping that they will know more than her about dyspraxia and dyscalculia I guess. I want an autism assessment anyway so at least (hopefully) one of the possibilities I raised in this thread will get addressed.

There are probably a few things you can try at home. Look up the Eyes Mind Test by Baron Cohen, for Autism. Dyspraxia and dyscalculia I'm unsure of how to diagnose via tests. There are some online resources though:
http://www.educational-psychologist.co.uk/screening/dyscalculic/
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Dyspraxia.htm -- would have thought dyspraxia would be fairly self evident if you're having significant difficulties.

Everyone usually has their problems mate in one form or another, but very unfortunately some more than others.
I had a lot of developmental problems whilst growing up, still growing out of them to an extent, so have an idea of what it's like.

But if you play to your relative strengths and try and mitigate those weaknesses in any way possible through practice and dedication (hail neuroplasticity), I'm sure you will do well :smile:
Original post by hellodave5
There are probably a few things you can try at home. Look up the Eyes Mind Test by Baron Cohen, for Autism. Dyspraxia and dyscalculia I'm unsure of how to diagnose via tests. There are some online resources though:
http://www.educational-psychologist.co.uk/screening/dyscalculic/
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Dyspraxia.htm -- would have thought dyspraxia would be fairly self evident if you're having significant difficulties.

Everyone usually has their problems mate in one form or another, but very unfortunately some more than others.
I had a lot of developmental problems whilst growing up, still growing out of them to an extent, so have an idea of what it's like.

But if you play to your relative strengths and try and mitigate those weaknesses in any way possible through practice and dedication (hail neuroplasticity), I'm sure you will do well :smile:

Thanks for the links. Baron-Cohen does bother me significantly though, and I know that dislike of him is fairly prevalent in the online neurodiversity community at least. 'Extreme Male Brain'. -.-
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the links. Baron-Cohen does bother me significantly though, and I know that dislike of him is fairly prevalent in the online neurodiversity community at least. 'Extreme Male Brain'. -.-

Yeah I know what you mean. But the test seems to have good validity.
His research does seem to be helping a lot, at least. I think the 'extreme male brain' name is a bit of a misnomer, and it sounds very... trivialising. Though I haven't read his stuff in quite a long while.

I don't see a mental health team so I don't think one of those will do the assessment. There's a specific autism and other neurodevelopmental disorders assessment and treatment service in my city which is what I reckon I should be referred to about autism.

Quick Reply

Latest