The Student Room Group

Distinctions

Hello,

Anybody got any advice for getting a distinction at History MA? I have an offer for my next postgrad course which is unexpectedly high so I'd appreciate all the advice I can get!

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

In my experience in distinctions its very important to EVALUATE the question. Weigh up the advantages and disadvantages and give your opinion with EVIDENCE.

You can't just state an opinion or fact with critical evidence.

All I've got im afraid, im a business student and therefore I'm just explaining what it's like in my essays and hopefully its the same for yours.
Reply 2
Original post by CautiousCat
Hi,

In my experience in distinctions its very important to EVALUATE the question. Weigh up the advantages and disadvantages and give your opinion with EVIDENCE.

You can't just state an opinion or fact with critical evidence.

All I've got im afraid, im a business student and therefore I'm just explaining what it's like in my essays and hopefully its the same for yours.

Those are quite basic points for any academic work really (you're in the Postgrad section). Masters degrees are much more involved and different subjects can emphasise different aspects of written work.
Original post by Klix88
Those are quite basic points for any academic work really (you're in the Postgrad section). Masters degrees are much more involved and different subjects can emphasise different aspects of written work.

Ooops! My bad haha! I apologise :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by slitheryserpent
Hello,

Anybody got any advice for getting a distinction at History MA? I have an offer for my next postgrad course which is unexpectedly high so I'd appreciate all the advice I can get!

I'm not a historian so I'll defer to those who are, but I do work in the humanities, on the past, and I did get a distinction on a masters course back in the day. Whatever that is or isn't worth. I think that like getting a first on an undergraduate degree, it's not easy to reverse-engineer a distinction in the humanities. (Which is not to say that it is easy in other areas -- all I'm saying is that I don't know.)

The people best placed to advise you are presumably the staff in your own department, and you should also read your course's assessment criteria carefully. Do you know any people who have distinctions from the course you are doing -- I'm thinking of PhD students in your department? If so, you could ask whether they would be willing to show you any of the work they submitted when they were on the masters.

When I was a masters student we were told that as a rough rule of thumb distinctions were meant to indicate work at a doctoral level, and work which might, with revision, be publishable -- indeed, the department routinely handed out PhD offers requiring a distinction because they regarded it as a kind of baseline guarantee. That might not be much use to you, but perhaps thinking of published articles (the good ones) as models for your essays might be helpful. On the course I did our essays were about the same length as articles, and I think that was kind of the idea.

This may be a boring and unnecessary point (sorry to raise it if you're already on top of this) but making sure that your work is properly formatted is worth it. Having your referencing in order -- really, obsessively in order -- won't push work which is clearly only merit-level up but not having your referencing in order might sink you. I was told informally later that careful proofreading and proper formatting had contributed (it wasn't the only factor) to markers giving me the benefit of the doubt on one borderline piece, so that I scraped a distinction on it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
If you have been getting distinctions in your modules you already know what is required - a bigger project at the same standard! If that is not the case and you need to up your game I would try if at all possible to read some previous dissertations which received distinctions. This will give you an idea of the standard and level of detail required. Also, read any feedback you have been given for modules and make sure you have incorporated this advice in writing your dissertation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ftmshk
If you have been getting distinctions in your modules you already know what is required - a bigger project at the same standard! If that is not the case and you need to up your game I would try if at all possible to read some previous dissertations which received distinctions. This will give you an idea of the standard and level of detail required. Also, read any feedback you have been given for modules and make sure you have incorporated this advice in writing your dissertation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unhelpfully enough all my modules will be completed simultaneously at the end of this term :/
Original post by QHF
I'm not a historian so I'll defer to those who are, but I do work in the humanities, on the past, and I did get a distinction on a masters course back in the day. Whatever that is or isn't worth. I think that like getting a first on an undergraduate degree, it's not easy to reverse-engineer a distinction in the humanities. (Which is not to say that it is easy in other areas -- all I'm saying is that I don't know.)

The people best placed to advise you are presumably the staff in your own department, and you should also read your course's assessment criteria carefully. Do you know any people who have distinctions from the course you are doing -- I'm thinking of PhD students in your department? If so, you could ask whether they would be willing to show you any of the work they submitted when they were on the masters.

When I was a masters student we were told that as a rough rule of thumb distinctions were meant to indicate work at a doctoral level, and work which might, with revision, be publishable -- indeed, the department routinely handed out PhD offers requiring a distinction because they regarded it as a kind of baseline guarantee. That might not be much use to you, but perhaps thinking of published articles (the good ones) as models for your essays might be helpful. On the course I did our essays were about the same length as articles, and I think that was kind of the idea.

This may be a boring and unnecessary point (sorry to raise it if you're already on top of this) but making sure that your work is properly formatted is worth it. Having your referencing in order -- really, obsessively in order -- won't push work which is clearly only merit-level up but not having your referencing in order might sink you. I was told informally later that careful proofreading and proper formatting had contributed (it wasn't the only factor) to markers giving me the benefit of the doubt on one borderline piece, so that I scraped a distinction on it.

Ah thanks; I'll bear that in mind!
Original post by QHF

As a historian, I'd like to re-iterate this point. It is incredibly important. Sadly, I learnt the hard way, running my dissertation way too close to the deadline and not leaving enough time for proper proof-reading and editing. It got a 69, the (clear lack) of editing and proofreading was mentioned in the examiner's report, and in the end it pushed my overall mark for the masters down to a 69. I'm paying for the missed distinction now that funding announcments for PhDs are coming around. Always leave time to proofread kids!
Reply 9
Original post by NewsCorp
I am wrote my dissertation up recently and my supervisor came back with a whole load of issues including lack of focus and requiring proof-reading and editing etc. A lot of my friends recommended I have it checked by a professional, so I've sent it off to a company two weeks back

I seriously wouldn't recommend doing this.

Firstly, sending unpublished work to an outside organisation - especially one which offers "professional services" for academic work and is probably an essay mill - lays you open to having your work plagiarised. What if they reuse chunks of your work for someone else and it's submitted before your diss is marked? You'll be accused of copying *them*! There's no point taking confidentiality clauses at face value. They're providing services which they know constitute academic fraud, so they don't have much regard for ethics in the first place.

Not to mention the fact that the work you submit is supposed to be 100% your own unless otherwise stated in your references. Having an outside organisation even suggest changes which you then make, is, to put it bluntly, cheating. If you're found out, your uni can refuse to award you your qualification. It's not worth the risk. If you can't write the diss unaided, then you shouldn't be doing it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Seems NewsCorp's post has been deleted. Here's what I wrote in response.

Would you be happy telling the university that's what you've done? If you can't be bothered to do the work then you don't deserve to pass. You're lazy and a cheat and I have no sympathy for when you get caught. The same goes for your 'friends'. There are plenty of hardworking and honest students out there (I'm one of them) who can be bothered to put in the effort and hard work rather than paying to take a shortcut.
Reply 11
Hello,

What is your subfield (Ancient, Medieval, Early Modern, Modern, economics, politics, society, culture, diplomacy, gender...)?
Original post by Josb
What is your subfield (Ancient, Medieval, Early Modern, Modern, economics, politics, society, culture, diplomacy, gender...)?

Just straight history
Reply 13
Just straight history

The key to success in history depends on your sources, which are different along your subfield. So be more specific.
Original post by Josb
The key to success in history depends on your sources, which are different along your subfield. So be more specific.

I can't be more specific as I don't have a subfield. My course is called 'History' and my modules include 'The Empire of Constantinople', 'Theoretical Approaches to Travel Writing', 'Central Europe 1900 - 1990'...
Reply 15
Firstly, could we please make the discussion generic as I've had my wrists slapped by TSR and I don't want my post deleted on this.

It's good that you've raised the concerns. Just to put things in perspective; this isn't an essay: I've worked for three years in this field, written over a hundred thousand words - chopped, changed and pruned down to my word limit. I've carried out my own work, i've given it to my supervisor to look at. I am so close to the subject, and it's my own pet, that sometimes you can read the same sentence over and over again and not spot the spelling mistake. As i've written something so big, it's important to have it checked for things that I haven't picked up.

My supervisor recommended having it checked, I am required as per the University regulations to acknowledge those who've helped me and I've done that AND I've checked with the graduate board for my university if they are happy with those who have helped. The thesis becomes public once submitted to the British Library - so plagiarism on that level isn't an issue here and secondly the depth of work makes it impossible for people to even suggest that it's plagiarism. As for others copying chunks from my work, I did not hand over the work just to anyone, I've double checked - I can't go into more details incase I get my wrists slapped again.

As for help; every PhD supervisor in the country helps their students and looks through their written work - mine has already checked and he wanted me to have it double checked - I've told him exactly what I was going to do and please note these are not substantial changes, it's just that I like things to be as perfect as possible. Similarly academics have their own work proofread before academic journal publications. The peer-review process follows the same procedure - you send off your work, it more often then not comes back with recommended changes - it's not declared as help and it's not an issue. It's the process of getting your work out to the academic community.

Once the viva is over there are changes recommended by the examiners, again they check for mistakes and recommend changes, so clearly help is recieved at that point as well.

However, there are certain points at which I agree with you; if the changes are substantial and you start receiving help which goes beyond the basics, i.e. re-writing large chunks, recommending additional work, or adding swathes of text, then I do see that as a problem. On that point I would have to say you are right.

Perhaps I am looking at it from a different perspective - I'm seeing this as academic work, considering that i've already published a fair amount and my main focus is on the quality of the practical work itself. I'm not seeing this as a test of my grammar, although there will be subjects where they are marked for this.

However, I appreciate your comments and it's good to see it from a different light.

QUOTE=Klix88;55132333]I seriously wouldn't recommend doing this.

Firstly, sending unpublished work to an outside organisation - especially one which offers "professional services" for academic work and is probably an essay mill - lays you open to having your work plagiarised. What if they reuse chunks of your work for someone else and it's submitted before your diss is marked? You'll be accused of copying *them*! There's no point taking confidentiality clauses at face value. They're providing services which they know constitute academic fraud, so they don't have much regard for ethics in the first place.

Not to mention the fact that the work you submit is supposed to be 100% your own unless otherwise stated in your references. Having an outside organisation even suggest changes which you then make, is, to put it bluntly, cheating. If you're found out, your uni can refuse to award you your qualification. It's not worth the risk. If you can't write the diss unaided, then you shouldn't be doing it.
Reply 16
I can't be more specific as I don't have a subfield. My course is called 'History' and my modules include 'The Empire of Constantinople', 'Theoretical Approaches to Travel Writing', 'Central Europe 1900 - 1990'...

Which module are you going to take to write your dissertation then?
Reply 17
Hi Duncan,

I think your comments are totally unfair, you have no idea how much work i've put in for my PhD or for that matter that I've already declared and clarified the help I've received.

Original post by Duncan2012
Seems NewsCorp's post has been deleted. Here's what I wrote in response.

Would you be happy telling the university that's what you've done? If you can't be bothered to do the work then you don't deserve to pass. You're lazy and a cheat and I have no sympathy for when you get caught. The same goes for your 'friends'. There are plenty of hardworking and honest students out there (I'm one of them) who can be bothered to put in the effort and hard work rather than paying to take a shortcut.
Original post by NewsCorp
Hi Duncan,

I think your comments are totally unfair, you have no idea how much work i've put in for my PhD or for that matter that I've already declared and clarified the help I've received.

Hi NewsCorp,

Your original post read very differently, which is why Klix88 and I posted the way we did. You didn't mention it was a PhD proof-read, and you did say you had sent the work off for checking after it had come back from your supervisor with lots of comments. I think my comments were perfectly justified given the information that was available. Now that you've added a considerable amount of detail it's obvious that my comments don't apply to you. Good luck for submission and your viva :-)
Original post by Josb
Which module are you going to take to write your dissertation then?

Warsaw 1944 - 1952

Quick Reply