http://webcam.oii.ox.ac.uk/camera3.cfm

What will Dave do?
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Literally a non-event imo

And Mr Cameron doesn't need to get involved, it's either Nicola Blackwood or Andrew Smith
Arkasia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well that's underwhelming.
El Salvador
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by shawn_o1)
Literally a non-event imo

And Mr Cameron doesn't need to get involved, it's either Nicola Blackwood or Andrew Smith
He spent years of his life there, though.
Ghughes92
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Little Toy Gun)
He spent years of his life there, though.
In a hotel in Oxford? Doubts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
El Salvador
(Original post by Ghughes92)
In a hotel in Oxford? Doubts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He's probably dined there more than a couple times. It's iconic, historical, and at the city centre, close to his college.
Stepidermis
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It never crossed my mind that this thread would be about Oxford being literally on fire.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Dem Oxford students be panickin'
El Salvador
(Original post by Stepidermis)
It never crossed my mind that this thread would be about Oxford being literally on fire.
Speaking literal truths is a thing now.
El Salvador
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
Dem Oxford students be panickin'
It's still minus-one week so most of the children are not back yet.
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
government cuts are to blame
El Salvador
After two hours, the fire is still going. Rumour has it started in a kitchen.

14​ fire engines have been sent to the scene as of 18:19.
El Salvador
(Original post by democracyforum)
government cuts are to blame
Not the filthy liberals?
El Salvador
Second aerial ladder now in use. Fire going on for more than 128 minutes.
Sephiroth
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why is this news? There's a fire like that in my hometown every other month.
El Salvador
(Original post by Sephiroth)
Why is this news? There's a fire like that in my hometown every other month.
Does your hometown house one of the best, most famous, and oldest university on Earth?

Is your hometown one of Britain's biggest tourist attractions?

Does your hometown's name collocate with a common word like 'English' or 'shoes'?

Did the fires you speak of happen in a 151-year-old building that has housed Prime Ministers and world leaders? Designed by the architect who designed the Oxford Union's library? Opposite to the world's oldest university museum and Britain's oldest museum? On a street where two kings were born?

---

Almost three hours on and the fire is still going. Ambulance crew said they 'expected' to be here for a while still and the hotel has notified guests that they won't be able to go back this evening.
El Salvador
It appears that the fire has been put off after four hours. Fire services from three counties have been called in, and they will stay there and block the three surrounding roads 'well into the morning'. The fire started in a kitchen on the ground floor and the fire went three floors up from there. Guests are re-accommodated to other hotels. 80 people have been evacuated with 3 treated for smoke inhalation. The Tab reported that the fire alarm had a failure (it's also reported that it rang but inconsistently) and that they evacuated people from knocking on doors instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKRPzyfKe-4

It currently paralyses the city centre still. On the roads affected are The Ashmolean Museum (world's oldest university museum and Britain's first museum), Taylorian Institute (a university library), Blackfriars Hall (Oxford University), St Benet's Hall (Oxford University), St Cross College (Oxford University), Oxford Playhouse, Tesco, Sainsbury, Oxford Martyr Tower, St Mary Magdalen Church, St Giles' Church (and church hall), St John's College (Oxford University), Worcester College (Oxford University), the old site of Beaumont Palace (where King Richard I the gay king and King John who signed the Magna Carter were born) which is now the main area for medical practices, Gloucester Street Car Park, and Regent's Park College (Oxford University).

Due to the blockage, it has been reported that Worcester Street, George Street, Walton Street, and the bridge have been rather busy.
Sancte
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Little Toy Gun)
It currently paralyses the city centre still. On the roads affected are The Ashmolean Museum (world's oldest university museum and Britain's first museum)
I thought it went without saying that the world's oldest museum would have to be Britain's first! Unless Britain preceded the world somehow?

Jokes aside this is a real shame and I hope everything is brought under control and the architecture restored as appropriate.
El Salvador
(Original post by Saint Libra)
I thought it went without saying that the world's oldest museum would have to be Britain's first! Unless Britain preceded the world somehow?
World's oldest university museum, not world's oldest museum. But Britain's first museum.

Although the original building is actually the one next to the Sheldonian Theatre/School of Divinity/Old Bodleian Library/Clarendon Building which is now The Museum of History of Science instead.

(Original post by Saint Libra)
Jokes aside this is a real shame and I hope everything is brought under control and the architecture restored as appropriate.
It seems to be under control now and most of these have been an over-reaction. But the fact that it started from the ground floor and went through all the way to the roof means it's more serious than it looked on the outside, and there may be considerable damage inside of the hotel. Perhaps they will need to spend months restoring it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (59)
4.63%
Uncertainty around my education (195)
15.29%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (141)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (181)
14.2%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (57)
4.47%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (72)
5.65%
Loneliness (112)
8.78%
Financial worries (45)
3.53%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (58)
4.55%
Exposure to negative news/social media (58)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (68)
5.33%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (112)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (117)
9.18%

Watched Threads