Why is the left disproportionately dominating the election campaign? Watch

Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
No more austerity, no more benefit cuts, lock David Cameron out of No 10, higher taxes, scrap Trident, etc. This is all the electorate are hearing.

Do they not realise that most people are right-leaning in their views?
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)
No more austerity, no more benefit cuts, lock David Cameron out of No 10, higher taxes, scrap Trident, etc. This is all the electorate are hearing.

There are more Left Wing parties in the country, ergo you here more about left wing policy. Also these parties are often appealing in Labour areas, they think the best way to get those votes will be to tack to the left.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So what? It'll just split the left wing vote
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)

most people are not. there is the occasional lunatic and headcase with right wing views, but the majority of the UK are completely reasonable.
tomfailinghelp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because:

1) Cameron is on the defence
2) It is more difficult to construct than to criticize
3) People think that right-wingers are evil and that left-wingers are not
and 4) The Scottish
tomfailinghelp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cole-slaw)
most people are not. there is the occasional lunatic and headcase with right wing views, but the majority of the UK are completely reasonable.
"The occasional lunatic" which comprises about 40% of the electorate..? An even larger number if you include labour?
username1500433
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lots of small left wing parties gaining media attention especially after those leaders debates. Cameron is on the defence as he is currently PM, also it is possible he could be PM again so has to think realistically with his election promises. Small parties with no chance of being elected can basically pledge anything knowing that they'll never be in a position in which they'll have to fulfill them.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
There are more Left Wing parties in the country, ergo you here more about left wing policy. Also these parties are often appealing in Labour areas, they think the best way to get those votes will be to tack to the left.
But at the same time, bar Labour, all the parties you refer to are rather samll, at best polling at about 5%, give or take, whereas on the left you get UKIP in the mid teens, and Lib Dems, at least centre-right, polling higher than any of the lefties, bar Labour (assuming you count Labour as left)
#Ridwan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because the media feel that they need to give coverage to the Scottish and Welsh nationalists in the interest of "balance", which in reality just skews the media coverage towards the left.
SausageMan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by #Ridwan)
Because the media feel that they need to give coverage to the Scottish and Welsh nationalists in the interest of "balance", which in reality just skews the media coverage towards the left.
I guess you oppose the Union?
#Ridwan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SausageMan)
I guess you oppose the Union?

Neither for nor against. I'm not Scottish or Welsh so I don't really care.

"Balance" isn't about giving regional parties who most of us can't vote for an equal standing with national ones.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe if the right didn't wimp out of the debates their voice would be heard :teehee:
Everglow
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
Maybe if the right didn't wimp out of the debates their voice would be heard :teehee:

As others have said, there are more left wing parties in the mainstream nowadays. The Conservatives are hardly even right wing anymore. The only right-wing parties we're really left with are UKIP and the practically defunct BNP.

But even if the left is dominating the election campaign, it just means the left-wing vote will be split, thus benefiting the right wing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (13)
6.63%
They might tell the bully (20)
10.2%
I don't think they'd understand (33)
16.84%
It might lead to more bullying (71)
36.22%
There's nothing they could do (59)
30.1%

Watched Threads