The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Heriot Watt - 'Engineering' - can anyone help?

I recently got a prospectus from HW and I would love to study chemical engineering there. However - I do not study chemistry a level. I did happen to come across the one year Engineering course and I wondered if this could be an alternative route to completing a chemical engineering degree at HW - can anyone help?
Reply 1
The majority of the following post is what I think, not what I know so I might be wrong.

The general engineering degree at Heriot Watt can cover all the engineering disciplines (mechanical, electrical, civil ext) expect from chemical. This is because of the level of chemistry covered in 1st and 2nd year of chemical engineering. In 1st year, chemical engineering students do the standard theory modules that are core for a normal chemistry degree and then a few others that are relevant in later years. So to answer your question, no I don't think that by doing H100 you can get into chemical engineering with that route. You would probably be out of your depth in the amount of chemistry they expect you to know.

It's still worth sending someone on the contact info bit an email to double check on this.
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Original post by niamhus123
I recently got a prospectus from HW and I would love to study chemical engineering there. However - I do not study chemistry a level. I did happen to come across the one year Engineering course and I wondered if this could be an alternative route to completing a chemical engineering degree at HW - can anyone help?

Hi niamhus123,

It's great to hear that you are interested in coming to study with us! In answer to your question, it depends on whether the one year Engineering programme you refer to is one of the Foundation Pathways programmes or whether you are looking at the Combined Studies BSc in General Engineering. Further information on Foundation Pathways and who to contact for entry requirements can be found on our website.

If you would like to consider joining the Combined Studies programme in the first instance this allows you to mix and match your first year subjects from different Engineering disciplines. This means that you could potentially take one or two basic Chemistry courses to see how you get on. Again further information and contact details can be found on our website. If you get the required grades you can then transfer on to the Chemical Engineering programme.

If you have any other questions please email us at [email protected].

Best of luck with your application!
Reply 3
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi niamhus123,

It's great to hear that you are interested in coming to study with us! In answer to your question, it depends on whether the one year Engineering programme you refer to is one of the Foundation Pathways programmes or whether you are looking at the Combined Studies BSc in General Engineering. Further information on Foundation Pathways and who to contact for entry requirements can be found on our website.

If you would like to consider joining the Combined Studies programme in the first instance this allows you to mix and match your first year subjects from different Engineering disciplines. This means that you could potentially take one or two basic Chemistry courses to see how you get on. Again further information and contact details can be found on our website. If you get the required grades you can then transfer on to the Chemical Engineering programme.

If you have any other questions please email us at [email protected].

Best of luck with your application!

Hi, thanks for your reply! So if I opted to study Combined Studies Bsc in year 1 could I transfer directly into year 2 of the chemical engineering course (grades depending?)

Many thanks
Reply 4
Original post by niamhus123

Hey i was on the H100 course in my first year, the director of studies is extremely helpful and with only approx 20 people on the course each year i found he had a lot of time for me and genuinely seemed to care.
Personally i took the route of mechanical engineering and found that i loved it and didnt even opt to replace any modules. You could probably do the same by choosing all chemical engineering modules. Be aware i have a lot of chem eng friends who loved chemistry and still found the course really hard. Try looking up "process industries" as this seems to be what most struggled with.

Good luck xx

Quick Reply

Latest