The Student Room Group

Paramedic science HELP

Basically I need some direction ASAP if possible, I want to study paramedic science and I have done for a very long time, I'm just about to go in and finish my A levels, I applied for 5 universities last year and got turned down by them all. This is not something that bothered me greatly as it allows me to take a year out and gain valuable experience with St Johns etc that would prepare me for paramedic studies.

I am studying Biology, photography and doing the welsh baccalaureate (All are A levels) I know that not all universities accept the Welsh back. I would like to study at Swansea university for various reasons, but I am debating weather to apply for 5 other universities next year as well. Now I bet you're wondering "then why don't you" Well I honestly have no idea how my biology exam is going to go this year, I can understand the theory but then when it comes to doing papers they screw me over because I never seem to be able to get all of the marks because I did not include this keyword or that keyword. If I do not get my biology mark then I am very much limited to just applying for Swansea. I was looking at technician roles within the ambulance service, but they don't excite me as much as the paramedic role.

I could get into Swansea with the welsh baccalaureate and photography regarding I had B-B or above with them, but I don't want to be limited to just applying for Swansea because how of competitive (Like all paramedic science courses are I know) it is, I would not want to wait year after year hoping that I get in.

Along with all of this confusion and me starting to fear this year to come, my revision is starting to slip as well. I'm starting to get very distracted by small things and resorting to just reading over my work instead of being productive with the valuable time that I have before the exams begin in about 5-6 weeks.

So any information/experience that someone could share with me I would be very thankful for, thank you.
I would say apply to as many uni's as possible. As you said it's a very competitive course. Not all English Unis want biology so just check which ones you have the grades for. Also if you think you're going to struggle with biology why not look at doing the open uni human biology module next year as at the very least it would help you at uni. I was awful at biology (I got an E as As) as I hated plants, so I did the human bio module and did fine at uni.
Over the next year just work on getting experience. Don't put too much on St John helping massively, you're better off trying to spend a year working with people. I spent the year before I started uni working in home care and that helped far more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply. With biology It's just the exam papers, I can give the correct answer but not remember the correct keywords (therefore you don't get the mark, or get half the mark). I actually quite enjoy biology. At the moment I'm just living with this constant fear that If I screw up I'll have no idea what to do... and the reality is that if I do mess up I really wont. I have wanted to do this job for years and years, I have never seen myself doing anything else. As for St Johns I'm very lucky as my division have numerous paramedics and HCP's. I have been taken out on the RRV with a paramedic and done shifts with him when he is operating on the St Johns RRV. We have attended calls on blue lights and I got to see how the paramedic dealt with different cases (I'm not bragging I promise). It was very interesting. But I guess It's just that fear of failure that is currently haunting me.
Reply 3
Hi there just wondering I you can give me some help I want to go to Swansea and do the paramedic degree when I am older but am struggling to understand certain thing I was just wondering do u think taking A level biology, Health and social care and Psychology is a good start to go to the uni or do I just apply to be a student paramedic with my gsces and a levels can anyone help me as much as they can it would be very much appreciated.
Original post by EthanSPR
Hi there just wondering I you can give me some help I want to go to Swansea and do the paramedic degree when I am older but am struggling to understand certain thing I was just wondering do u think taking A level biology, Health and social care and Psychology is a good start to go to the uni or do I just apply to be a student paramedic with my gsces and a levels can anyone help me as much as they can it would be very much appreciated.

Hiya Ethan,

As somebody who is in the process of applying for paramedic science at the moment, and has been through the uni system twice already, I thought I'd respond to you seeing as nobody else has!

Those sound like good choices for a path up to paramedic science, having subjects like health and social care and biology will benefit you when you come to applying.

There are loads of different routes to becoming a paramedic, the obvious one is going to uni and studying paramedic science, but I know a large number of people who have worked there way up the ambulance services (i'm going to assume you're welsh due to looking to apply to swansea?). WAST are good for this, if you are able to get yourself onto a para technician (now sometimes known as associate ambulance practitioner) then you have the opportunity to undertake further training to qualify as a paramedic on the job. Many people start as an urgent care attendant and work up.
Would also recommend joining an organisation such as St John Ambulance and learning some extra things and gaining experience all relevant to the course you wish to do - I currently manage a SJAC division and have had a number of cadets be successful in entry to medicine and paramedic science courses partly due to what they've gained through their time in the organisation.

Good luck with A levels and applying to uni!

Quick Reply

Latest