Boyfriend liked picture of girl he used to sleep with.

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I feel completely stupid posting this but it is something that has been bothering me. I've been with my boyfriend a few months (known each other longer than that) and we are happy. He has told me he loves me and that I am one of the best things that has happened to him.

I do trust him but the other day he let me go on his Instagram account and I was scroing through the photos on his newsfeed and saw he had liked a photo from a girl he used to sleep with. They slept together on and off through uni and they stopped after she got a boyfriend which is over a year ago. He told me that he liked her as a mate but never wanted to be with her. As far as I am aware he still talks to her occasionally but hasn't seen her in months.

I wouldn't have been bothered if the photo had been just a picture of her or whatever but she was wearing a very low cut top and there was a lot of cleavage out. I think another part of the reason I am upset is because a couple of weeks ago we discussed girls who post photos half naked etc and he said he'd be annoyed if I had an Instagram account and was posting revealing photos etc, so I guess I'm annoyed at the hypocrisy that he'd be unhappy if I posted a similar photo but he's liking similar photos on Instagram.

Do I say anything or just forget about it?
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Break up and revise for exams soon
e aí rapaz
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I would say you are strongly overreacting. Just forget about it. Liking somebody's photo means pretty much nothing.
annarchy.
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
If you're that bothered ask him and say it makes you feel uncomfortable, he won't know otherwise. It's nothing to worry about unless he is actively flirting with her or whatever
SophieSmall
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
To be honest it's the hypocrisy that would probably bother me too, not much like I'd probably be a bit annoyed and then forget about it an hour later. But yeah I hate hypocrisy.

If it's not bothering you that much don't do anything, if it bothers you enough to keep you up at night basically just show him this thread, as I think you worded it well here and shows you're not exactly being immature or thinking he is cheating on you. But it just bothers you a bit.
Zarek
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
A normal piece of male reminisence in my view. Nothing to worry about. But you could still give him hell if you feel like it..
ellie98
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Maybe just talk to him about it? Say you were innocently looking through his insta feed and saw that he'd like this picture, and that you were just a bit upset about hypocritical he was being etc
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
If it bothers you that much then tell him. From his perspective liking a photo means pretty much nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
It's understandable that you're upset with him about it. He shouldn't have done it and can make you feel naff, but as far as being unfaithful goes, its not too bad. Just have a chat with him
Devastator
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
It's not a big deal, you're making a huge issue out of absolutely nothing.
thecatwithnohat
Report 6 years ago
he let you go through his Instagram... therefore he's not guilty or doesn't feel like he's done anything bad.

Just chill.
Studentus-anonymous
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I feel completely stupid posting this but it is something that has been bothering me. I've been with my boyfriend a few months (known each other longer than that) and we are happy. He has told me he loves me and that I am one of the best things that has happened to him.

I do trust him but the other day he let me go on his Instagram account and I was scroing through the photos on his newsfeed and saw he had liked a photo from a girl he used to sleep with. They slept together on and off through uni and they stopped after she got a boyfriend which is over a year ago. He told me that he liked her as a mate but never wanted to be with her. As far as I am aware he still talks to her occasionally but hasn't seen her in months.

I wouldn't have been bothered if the photo had been just a picture of her or whatever but she was wearing a very low cut top and there was a lot of cleavage out. I think another part of the reason I am upset is because a couple of weeks ago we discussed girls who post photos half naked etc and he said he'd be annoyed if I had an Instagram account and was posting revealing photos etc, so I guess I'm annoyed at the hypocrisy that he'd be unhappy if I posted a similar photo but he's liking similar photos on Instagram.

First warning sign, this is clearly evidence that he is a member of the BNP and a plot to overthrow lawfully elected government in favour.

TBF it doesn't necessarily mean anything but if it's bothering you have a nice calm grown up conversation over it. No blame and attack, just simply state it sorta bothered you.
Joshale
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
the part that he'd be unhappy about you revealing photos is shocking in it self tbh

anyway OT; probably finds her attractive but it's not as if they've been sexting and what not
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I feel completely stupid posting this
And you should.
Anonymous #2
Report 6 years ago
See I've been the other girl (ex of a guy who 'liked my pics' long after we broke up when he has a GF) in this situation and it made me uncomfortable and it made me completely question his character. I deleted him. I've no idea what it meant, if anything but I felt like he shouldn't have been doing it 1. because it was disrespectful to his GF and 2. because it messed with my head. So yeah, I deleted him but he was probably liking other girls stuff and no one else seems to delete him (he's charming/charismatic like that). Personally, I don't like dating guys who are friends with their exes and as an ex, I don't like exes contacting me when they have a GF.
I'd call him out on it.
Numan786
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

If you want my perfectly great advice. You should dump him because from your description im 110% sure that he's ****ed her, her mother, your mother, your best friend and your best friends mother.
MsFahima
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Liking pics doesn't really mean anything tbh. Sometimes I just double tap randomly on insta. But if you're uncomfortable with him liking her pics and following her in instal you should have a chat with him. Whatever decision you make, good luck.
The two eds
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

He has most likely slept with her, you should break up with him immediately
ROTL94
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by annieb97)
I'm sorry but the majority of people replying to this must be c**ts. That is horrible and soul destroying. If he's liking other girls pics he fancies them. Get rid. End of. Sorry but someone needs to be blunt.
1. Thread's 6 years old, matter was resolved years ago
2. Likes on the Internet don't mean a damn thing other than 'I pressed a button and it says I like this photo' a number of people have just deluded themselves into thinking Internet likes mean anything. What matters as with all things is the intent, and that cannot be accurately gauged from a solitary insignificant interaction.
Last edited by ROTL94; 4 days ago
annieb97
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
1. Thread's 6 years old, matter was resolved years ago
2. Likes on the Internet don't mean a damn thing other than 'I pressed a button and it says I like this photo' a number of people have just deluded themselves into thinking Internet likes mean anything. What matters as with all things is the intent, and that cannot be accurately gauged from a solitary insignificant interaction.
1. Why are you replying then? Still relevant to other people, isn't it.
2. If it meant nothing, why do it in the first place? If you have a girl/boyfriend there's surely no need to give others attention🥴 ye know it's gonna upset your other half. Have a bit of respect
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.83%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.42%
No (109)
26.91%
I'm not sure (52)
12.84%

Watched Threads