Stepidermis
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
for a student starting uni in September, what would be the best purchases I could make with a grand? Cheers
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
condoms
rayquaza17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you got a laptop?
Stepidermis
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by rayquaza17)
Have you got a laptop?
Yeah an average one
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Stepidermis)
for a student starting uni in September, what would be the best purchases I could make with a grand? Cheers
if you dont have a laptop - a laptop

If you do have a laptop - nothing. save it for now.

Just keep asking yourself the same question:

Do I have enough money to live a good life (whilst at uni):

Answer - yes. Keep it saved.
Answer - No. Use it to help out your student life.

Repeat until circumstances change or a big purhase comes up that you actually need..
somethingbeautiful
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Stepidermis)
Nothing. You really don't need to spend that amount on anything. I never bought anything other than a desk lamp when I moved away for uni. That was about a tenner. Keep your money. There are plenty of things you could use that for - some sensible (keep for a deposit on a car/flat after uni) some more fun (a holiday/nights out during uni). But there's not much you need for or before uni, it would be a total waste of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
kaneboy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm just finishing first year and depending on who you're mates with etc, you will probably end up spending your money in different ways.

If you end up going 3+ times a week, then you can easily spend £150/200 a month on going out alone and that's not including your hangover food, smokes if you smoke etc. So that at the very least I'd recommend saving some of the £1000 for nights out. Even if you don't go out now, you will likely find yourself going loads. Also prepare for the debriefings. That is essentially why you go out.

Let's assume you will go out less, let's say once a week or so and also have a laptop. I would really, really recommend a TV and/or gaming system if you don't have one. Netflix will bore you after about a month. Think of it as an investment - a night in, playing fifa is much cheaper than a night out.

But really, if you aren't in an urge to spend your money...DON'T. Wait until the expenses come your way and the things that need bought come to you, don't go looking for ways to splash the cash.

Hope that helped
From a very drunk fresher somewhere in Scotland
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you don't need anything then save it.

I've never understood the mindset of having to spend money just because it's there. I assume you'll be moving out for uni, you will want to keep as much money as possible to fall back on just in case you hit financial trouble.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Use it to live off of :facepalm:

Or buy a *****ing gaming PC.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.61%
Excited but a bit nervous (127)
44.88%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.72%
I'm really nervous (56)
19.79%

Watched Threads