Hess's Cycle - Enthalpy Change of Combustion and Formation

Watch
yeyhelloxoxoxo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys, I need some help with this! Really confused as to how to work out the Hess's Cycle
victoria98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well it depends on the question... Do you have any examples of questions you're struggling with?
cindy_obasa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by victoria98)
Well it depends on the question... Do you have any examples of questions you're struggling with?
Combustion and Formation calculations - the arrow diagrams
victoria98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cindy_obasa)
Combustion and Formation calculations - the arrow diagrams
You don't actually need to learn how to draw the Hess' cycles (though I personally think it's better to do so) you can just remember that if you are given the enthalpies of combustion the enthalpy change is given by reactants - products (CRaP) and if you are given the enthalpies of formation then you do the opposite of that -> products - reactants.

If you do want to learn how to draw the actual Hess' cycles then whenever you're given enthalpies of formation draw arrows from elements (at the bottom) UP to the chemical equation. When you are given enthalpies of combustion draw arrows pointing DOWN towards the combustion products. Then you go around from the top '-' if you're going against the arrow and '+' if you're going with the arrow. I'm really bad at explaining things (especially when I can't draw a diagram!) so I'm sorry if you don't understand what I'm trying to say. The way I used to do it is work out the answer using a Hess' cycle and then check it using the relevant equation (both the cycle and equations ALWAYS work if done correctly so it's quite a nice way of ensuring you get those marks). If you have any other questions do ask, and I'll try to explain.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (136)
28.51%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.63%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.5%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.43%
No - I live at home during term anyway (138)
28.93%

Watched Threads