psychgurl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I cant decide whether to firm reading, newcastle or Loughbrough for psychology. Opinions??
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Newcastle doesn't have a balanced psychology department. There are a few people in the psychology department, but its very small, and mostly people from the neuroscience institute teach the course. Consequentially, if you look at the course structure, its highly weighted towards biological modules. This is good if your into that area of study --- however, if you wanted to do a third year dissertation in social psychology or developmental, it wouldn't be ideal.
psychgurl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by iammichealjackson)
Newcastle doesn't have a balanced psychology department. There are a few people in the psychology department, but its very small, and mostly people from the neuroscience institute teach the course. Consequentially, if you look at the course structure, its highly weighted towards biological modules. This is good if your into that area of study --- however, if you wanted to do a third year dissertation in social psychology or developmental, it wouldn't be ideal.
Thanks! I am more interested in the social and developement side so maybe not newcastle. Do you know much about Reading, Loughbrough or UEA's way of teaching?
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by psychgurl)
Thanks! I am more interested in the social and developement side so maybe not newcastle. Do you know much about Reading, Loughbrough or UEA's way of teaching?
Well its not that they don't have people who study those things - they just don't have people who are hugely renowned in those areas and it looks like the module structures aren't heavily weighted towards them. I literally don't know anything about the rest, sorry!

If you look at the module structure and "research area" parts of the psychology websites it will tell you more about that. The biggest difference between unis will be in the third year of university - this is when all the basics have been covered for BPS acreditation and they base modules on the expertise of the people they have to lead those courses. Loughbrough is big on sport generally so would be good for sport psychology. Not all unis offer clinical psychology modules either, if that's what your into!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (711)
33.94%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (896)
42.77%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (395)
18.85%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.44%

Watched Threads