Aj12
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
As I'm sure anyone who has been following the news since 1979 is aware Iran and Saudi Arabia aren't very fond of each other. Both view each other as regional rivals and have taken various steps over the years to try to gain dominance. With events in Syria and Yemen, this proxy conflict has heated up, with regards to the latter, it could well lead to attacks on Saudi soil through various proxy groups.

How far do you think this conflict will go? Will we eventually see outright conflict between Iran and Saudi Arabia?
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
as religion is again the problem, it will never end
SweatyColon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As an Iranian I can say that Iran will be too scared to go to war. Firstly, many "normal" Iranians hate the regime and not many people are willing to give up their lives for it (going to war could spark another revolution). And Iranians aren't stupid - they know America will back Saudi all day long so they don't have the balls to do anything.
Aj12
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by sdotd)
as religion is again the problem, it will never end
I'm not really sure religion is the only major factor here. Yes this ties into the wider Sunni-Shia split. However this sort of regional conflict between two aspiring powers has been a facet of human history since we first started forming states. I think even if you removed the religion element from the conflict, we should still see the two countries working against each other.
SweatyColon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
I'm not really sure religion is the only major factor here. Yes this ties into the wider Sunni-Shia split. However this sort of regional conflict between two aspiring powers has been a facet of human history since we first started forming states. I think even if you removed the religion element from the conflict, we should still see the two countries working against each other.
I'd have to disagree. I actually think if they were both Shia countries they'd work together.
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)

this is everything to do with the two types of islam
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VGo92WWeJ4
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No it will not end in a direct war between Iran and Saudi. As Iran would win and Saudi isn't stupid.
username883747
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
As I'm sure anyone who has been following the news since 1979 is aware Iran and Saudi Arabia aren't very fond of each other. Both view each other as regional rivals and have taken various steps over the years to try to gain dominance. With events in Syria and Yemen, this proxy conflict has heated up, with regards to the latter, it could well lead to attacks on Saudi soil through various proxy groups.

How far do you think this conflict will go? Will we eventually see outright conflict between Iran and Saudi Arabia?
It is a possibility but we will see much more proxy activity first.

The Saudis are increasingly working against the Iranians and the latest spate of victories in northern syria has been by some analysts attributed to an increase in gulf and turkish arms to the rebels (particularly the notable increase in the use of TOW's by some FSA) and with word going around of a possible no fly zone or possible MANPADS (both possible but not probable) it is clear that Saudi wants to take greater moves against the Iranian Axis.

Interestingly (but not unexpectedly) the latest cabinet shuffles in saudi does not look good for Iran. Salman is further consolidating his power and the individuals he has appointed to new positions are friendlier with turkey and Qatar but interestingly less friendly with the UAE and Egypt. The US will most probably find in the new cabinet more reliable allies than in the previous regime and they have the added bonus of being harsher on groups that the US have terror listed.

Then again it is possible that if Baghdadis gang in Iraq decline further then there is a real possibility of much larger over spill against the Syrian rebellion by some shia militas.

Remember also that Turkish elections are coming up so there is a chance of a government with a less favorable saudi policy coming in although i don't know much about the opposition.

I don't think though that we will see direct iranian/saudi conflict (if ever) in the next few years.

(Original post by Aj12)
Yes although it does tie into this split there is the old economic and geo politcal factor here too. Remembering that Persia and the Arabs haven't always been too fond of each other.
zgb1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Saudi-Iranian conflict is basically a religious war between Sunnis and Shias, so they will never be friends.
The Dictator
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't support either of them. We should destroy both and bring civilisation to their countries.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
22.48%
Excited but a bit nervous (117)
45.35%
Not bothered either way (34)
13.18%
I'm really nervous (49)
18.99%

Watched Threads