The Student Room Group

I've never pulled a pint in my life...

... but how hard can it be??

Currently accepted a place at uni though because im a post grad I wont be able to receive a tuition fee loan (which I knew about and is manageable anyway) though to make things more awkward cost of living at the university is quite high.

Theres guaranteed jobs going in student heavy areas right? Just wondered if and how anyone else had gotten on finding bar work for a bit extra cash. Have done 5 years part time in retail but is an environment I am not keen on going back to at all.

I did consider pole dancing but I don't think the demand for male pole dancers who cant pole dance are much in demand.

Just looking at options for a bit of extra cash - have saved a lot but want to avoid being over reliant on the bank of mum and dad.
Original post by topgear1987
... but how hard can it be??

Currently accepted a place at uni though because im a post grad I wont be able to receive a tuition fee loan (which I knew about and is manageable anyway) though to make things more awkward cost of living at the university is quite high.

Theres guaranteed jobs going in student heavy areas right? Just wondered if and how anyone else had gotten on finding bar work for a bit extra cash. Have done 5 years part time in retail but is an environment I am not keen on going back to at all.

I did consider pole dancing but I don't think the demand for male pole dancers who cant pole dance are much in demand.

Just looking at options for a bit of extra cash - have saved a lot but want to avoid being over reliant on the bank of mum and dad.

If the typical bar staff in Union bars are anything to go by, being able to pull a pint is not a key requirement of the job...
Reply 2
Pulling a pint won't be a problem, when I first started bar work I was pulling them so bad until I watched the others, after a day I was doing them good
what's hard is knowing all the drinks, what goes in what glass and stuff, never having cider in my life and someone asking for a "black cider" or a certain brand of wine is pretty daunting when you don't even know what it is
I've never pulled a girl, so you can piss right off!
Pulling a pint isn't very hard - it'll just take a little bit of practice for your first few shifts. The worst that can happen is you pour too much head, in which case you just start again or get someone else to help you. The worst thing about working in a bar is the speed you're expected to work at. It's a pretty non-stop, relentless work environment. I found it fun, but each to their own. I work in a coffee shop now, and I can assure you making good coffee is harder than pouring a pint. :tongue: And we have to work at the same kind of speed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending