OCR BIO AS: Classification: taxanomy and phylogeny

Watch
Hunnybeebee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Can someone correct if I'm wrong or missing something please:

Organisms are sorted into groups by classification in a process called taxanomy so we can understand them and see the key characteristics and features they share. Taxanomy involves placing them into taxa units which are:
Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus and Species. Each species is given a binomal name (a two part latin name) with the first past (the genus name) with a capital letter and the species name with a non-capital in italics (or unerlined in the exam)

Phylogeny is the study of the evolutionary relationships between organisms which brings me to this point... can someone help me with phylogeny? no matter how many times I try, I can't seem to crack it, any help?
tcameron
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
the groupings of classification were based on many features, internal as well as external.
as a consequence these groups reflect evolutionary or phylogenetic relationships.
mrjowanna
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Domain is another taxon that comes before kingdom

I think phylogeny is about how closely related are different species, and how recently their common ancestors have lived. evolution distance is part of this too, if their common ancestor has recently lived, the evolutionary distance between the two species are short
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (62)
17.17%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (102)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (137)
37.95%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.3%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.32%

Watched Threads