Uni abroad and lpc Watch

lewislloyd
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys, I've been looking at becoming a lawyer most likely a solicitor.
I've been looking of taking an llb degree in European law in the Netherlands.

Would this his allow me yo take the lpc back in the uk. And would I be able to take a gap year between each process. Is it also possible to get a training contract in England from Europe.
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I haven't heard of an LLB in Europe (minus Ireland/Scotland) that is a qualifying law degree in England & Wales.

If you do English land law and English constitutional law you may be covered though.

Otherwise you will have to still do the GDL. If you do this route it's likely you can apply for exemptions though (I'm guessing EU law for example).

But you can apply for a TC from anywhere - you don't need to be in the UK at all. Although you may need to be prepared to travel to the UK for assessment centres/interviews that can't be done via Skype/video conference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lewislloyd
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
I haven't heard of an LLB in Europe (minus Ireland/Scotland) that is a qualifying law degree in England & Wales.

If you do English land law and English constitutional law you may be covered though.

Otherwise you will have to still do the GDL. If you do this route it's likely you can apply for exemptions though (I'm guessing EU law for example).

But you can apply for a TC from anywhere - you don't need to be in the UK at all. Although you may need to be prepared to travel to the UK for assessment centres/interviews that can't be done via Skype/video conference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
On the site it says it is a llb and that we study English law in depth as well as eu law as a whole before taking two other countries in more depth. from the agenda I believe it covers everything to qualify as a llb.
exlibris
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lewislloyd)
On the site it says it is a llb and that we study English law in depth as well as eu law as a whole before taking two other countries in more depth. from the agenda I believe it covers everything to qualify as a llb.
It's not about whether it 'qualifies as a LLB', it's whether the LLB is a Qualifying Law Degree in England & Wales. If it's not, you'd have to do the GDL (though might be able to get exemptions for some papers). The institution should know if you ask; if they don't, or don't know what you're talking about, then tread very carefully as it may well not be a QLD! Don't just go on the basis of the contents of their website - it would be an expensive mistake (in money & time) if you jumped to the wrong conclusion.

If it isn't a QLD there are other options - lots of law + language degrees involve study abroad, and some straight law degrees can also have it built in.
arguendo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you're still unclear about it, this link explains the QLD issue. Basically, not all law degrees are QLDs, so you would be wise to consider whether your proposed programme is a QLD, as if not, you may have to spend an extra year (and £££.) studying the GDL.

http://www.sra.org.uk/students/academic-stage.page

To answer your other question - yes, you can have a gap year between your undergrad degree and between beginning the LPC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (59)
15.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (38)
9.77%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (74)
19.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
15.17%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (43)
11.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (116)
29.82%

Watched Threads