How is Functionalist Theory paternalistic? Watch

dylantombides
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I sort of understand what functionalism is. It's the idea that everyone in society has the same shared goal of increasing their wealth, and even though they may have different lifestyles (social class, jobs) they all work together with their individual roles to achieve this shared goal of wealth.

However I've read 2 criticisms of the thory:

1) It's been criticised as too paternalistic in nature. I don't really understand what this means and how it relates to functionalism? Could someone explain.

2) It doesn't take into account people want to better themselves in society. Eg in basic/generalised terms, the working class reaching the middle class, middle class moving to upper class. However this confused me as I thought if they shared the same goal it suggested they were happy with their social standing?
dylantombides
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
no one?
ModYom
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
surely because for many people, 'increasing their wealth' is not the primary factor.

How about, family,friends, reasonable job, hobbies, etc....ie: a kind of comfort zone - sounds more appealing than just thinking of scraping up the greasy pole,

and yes, it is paternalistic, Tory cant about 'aspiration' - pure self-serving, right wing rhetoric
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (264)
15.31%
The paper was reasonable (960)
55.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (371)
21.52%
It was TERRIBLE (129)
7.48%

Watched Threads