The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Aberdeen University Summer School

Hi everyone. I have recently had to leave school due to personal circumstances so I won't be able to sit my S6 exams later this year! :frown:

However, I have received an offer from Aberdeen University! They're asking for 3 Highers at BBB & to complete Summer School. However due to my circumstances I won't be able to get the Higher Qualifications. I was wondering if it is possible to get into University through Summer School alone.

A friend of mine who sat Summer School last year said that he didn't get the qualifications they were asking for and only sat the Summer School and still got in!

I was wondering if I could actually get in just by participating in Summer School and would like to hear back from people who have participated in it before!
I'm not sure about summer school, but if it turns out you can't get in with summer school alone then you should look into the access course. It's an academic year long program, but it is incredible for 1) allowing you to gain entry to uni when you don't have the other grades behind you and 2) getting to grips with the uni before you actually start your degree. I did the access course, so if you have any questions about that then hit me up :smile:.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Original post by GoingToBurst
I'm not sure about summer school, but if it turns out you can't get in with summer school alone then you should look into the access course. It's an academic year long program, but it is incredible for 1) allowing you to gain entry to uni when you don't have the other grades behind you and 2) getting to grips with the uni before you actually start your degree. I did the access course, so if you have any questions about that then hit me up :smile:.

How do you apply for it? I'm just a bit worried about my exams, I need Higher AAB my predicted is Higher AAB but I'm looking for a back up to be safe.
Original post by SausageMan
How do you apply for it? I'm just a bit worried about my exams, I need Higher AAB my predicted is Higher AAB but I'm looking for a back up to be safe.

Access course: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/access-to-degree-studies-606.php

Summer school looks like it can only be applied for through UCAS when you apply for uni anyway, but I'm not sure if you can email them to be considered or not.
I'm sure you'll be fine in your exams though, when do they start?
Access course: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/access-to-degree-studies-606.php

Summer school looks like it can only be applied for through UCAS when you apply for uni anyway, but I'm not sure if you can email them to be considered or not.
I'm sure you'll be fine in your exams though, when do they start?

5th of May is my first one. Which is Higher Physics.

Are re you feeling confident about yours?
5th of May is my first one. Which is Higher Physics.

Are re you feeling confident about yours?

My exams start on the 5th of May too! How are you feeling about yours?

Hmm I'm not feeling too bad actually, I've wasted the last week completely, but I don't think they're going to go too horribly, considering my exams are 4 days in a row and I thought I'd fail them all when the timetable came out haha. I'm feeling pretty confident for the last two and then I should be a-okay for second one too, the first one is freaking me out a bit though!
My exams start on the 5th of May too! How are you feeling about yours?

Hmm I'm not feeling too bad actually, I've wasted the last week completely, but I don't think they're going to go too horribly, considering my exams are 4 days in a row and I thought I'd fail them all when the timetable came out haha. I'm feeling pretty confident for the last two and then I should be a-okay for second one too, the first one is freaking me out a bit though!

Are you studying Physics as well? Ha

I've made notes of my notes, then made those notes into posters and stuck them all around the house. So no matter where I am, I could study. Ha, I sound crazy.

I wasted yesterday, I came in from School and I wanted to just sleep. I'm glad that my exams are quite spaced out, so I can prepare for each subject. I'm a bit of a nervous reck but I've been studying since November, so I don't know why I feel that way. Good, I'm sure you will do well. :colondollar:
Are you studying Physics as well? Ha

I've made notes of my notes, then made those notes into posters and stuck them all around the house. So no matter where I am, I could study. Ha, I sound crazy.

I wasted yesterday, I came in from School and I wanted to just sleep. I'm glad that my exams are quite spaced out, so I can prepare for each subject. I'm a bit of a nervous reck but I've been studying since November, so I don't know why I feel that way. Good, I'm sure you will do well. :colondollar:

No I study accountancy and finance, physics was never my cup of tea haha.

No you don't sound crazy, that's exactly the kind of thing I do too hahaha.

Wow you sound super prepared, I'm sure you'll do really well :biggrin:. It always surprises me when I hear people talking about school exams and they've been revising for months and months and months because I totally forget that that ever happened haha. At uni, it's not really the same. Makes me really happy I'm not at school anymore tbh haha.
No I study accountancy and finance, physics was never my cup of tea haha. No you don't sound crazy, that's exactly the kind of thing I do too hahaha.Wow you sound super prepared, I'm sure you'll do really well :biggrin:. It always surprises me when I hear people talking about school exams and they've been revising for months and months and months because I totally forget that that ever happened haha. At uni, it's not really the same. Makes me really happy I'm not at school anymore tbh haha.

Building is more my thing. Although we probably share an intrest in maths, I guess. Ha

Well I'm trying to be, hopefully it doesn't go all to top on the day of the exam. I'm sure your probably the same. :biggrin:

Would it it be rude to ask what year your in? :P Is exam time at uni a bit easier to handle? I can't wait for the exams to be over tbh, to much stress for me. So I always start my study off with a cuppa tea. To calm the nerves ha.
Building is more my thing. Although we probably share an intrest in maths, I guess. Ha

Well I'm trying to be, hopefully it doesn't go all to top on the day of the exam. I'm sure your probably the same. :biggrin:

Would it it be rude to ask what year your in? :P Is exam time at uni a bit easier to handle? I can't wait for the exams to be over tbh, to much stress for me. So I always start my study off with a cuppa tea. To calm the nerves ha.

Yes we definitely share an interest in maths haha!

Yeah I know that feeling, we can do it though :smile:. I have faith in you, haha!

No not rude at all, I'm just finishing my second year. Exams are incredibly stressful (at least I find them incredibly stressful anyway haha), but exam time doesn't seem to drag out as long as it does at school. My exams finish on May 8th and I've only been revising since the start of April (many of my friends haven't even started yet). In winter, we only get one revision week before exams, but I'll start revising maybe two or three weeks before that. With school exams, revision seems to go on for 6 months before the exams hahaha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending