The Student Room Group

Crying out to all my fellow M1 Students! Also one general question for Edexcel Maths

Please can you kindly answer these 4 questions, it will really help me out and maybe others who are struggling too.

1) Your revision technique for M1?
2) In your opinion the hardest topic in M1?
3) Any good websites that aid revision?
4) Confidence for the exam (0-being not at all and 10-being very very confident)

At the moment, I am using Arsey's worked papers and Exam Solutions to revise. Also, on the confidence front I am about 4/5.

Hate M1:confused::confused::confused::confused:

PS: If I do C3,C4,S1,S2 next year can I swap my S1 grade for my M1 grade?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MarcoReusBVB
Your revision technique for M1?

PS: If I do C2,C3,S1,S2 next year can I swap my S1 grade for my M1 grade?

Just do past papers. I got 100 for AQA.

You need to take C4 too or you won't get an A-level from it.
If you take these, plus C4:
If you get a higher UMS in S2 than M1, you will use S1 and S2 in your A-level.
If you get a higher UMS in M1 than S2, you will use M1 and S1 in your A-level.
Original post by morgan8002
Just do past papers. I got 100 for AQA.

You need to take C4 too or you won't get an A-level from it.
If you take these, plus C4:
If you get a higher UMS in S2 than M1, you will use S1 and S2 in your A-level.
If you get a higher UMS in M1 than S2, you will use M1 and S1 in your A-level.

Thank you, past papers it is!! Yh I meant C3 and C4 not C2 and C3 haha my bad!
Original post by MarcoReusBVB

1) Your revision technique for M1?
2) In your opinion the hardest topic in M1?
3) Any good websites that aid revision?
4) Confidence for the exam (0-being not at all and 10-being very very confident)

I sat Edexcel's M1 last year, and also found it tough in places.

I just went over the content and practiced as many questions as possible from the textbook, and went on to do past papers under exam conditions and learnt from my mistakes. For each topic I also thought about what the general question is like, what kind of things I need to find (eg for an objecto on a slope, which way friction acts, the reaction force, whether there's a force acting on it etc).

I'd say the hardest topic is the one where you resolve forces for a stataic particle. I never really understood what to do if there was a question about a ring/bead on a string against a wall (and I hoped it wouldn't come up in the exam), but there are a few questions in the textbook for those. There's also the situations where one mass is on top of another which is on a lift of some sort, and it can get quite confusing.

I didn't use any particular websites, though I would have suggested the ones you're already using.

It can be a challenging module, but practice as much as you can and when you can't find the answer, try to understand what you've missed.

Good luck!
Original post by SeanFM
I sat Edexcel's M1 last year, and also found it tough in places.

I just went over the content and practiced as many questions as possible from the textbook, and went on to do past papers under exam conditions and learnt from my mistakes. For each topic I also thought about what the general question is like, what kind of things I need to find (eg for an objecto on a slope, which way friction acts, the reaction force, whether there's a force acting on it etc).

I'd say the hardest topic is the one where you resolve forces for a stataic particle. I never really understood what to do if there was a question about a ring/bead on a string against a wall (and I hoped it wouldn't come up in the exam), but there are a few questions in the textbook for those. There's also the situations where one mass is on top of another which is on a lift of some sort, and it can get quite confusing.

I didn't use any particular websites, though I would have suggested the ones you're already using.

It can be a challenging module, but practice as much as you can and when you can't find the answer, try to understand what you've missed.

Good luck!

Thanks man, much appreciated! Practice is defo the key
I love teaching M1 - draw large diagrams, mark all forces and explain what you are doing. For example, 'system in equilibrium - resolving vertically gives ....'.

Marks are lost by not explaining ...
Original post by Muttley79
I love teaching M1 - draw large diagrams, mark all forces and explain what you are doing. For example, 'system in equilibrium - resolving vertically gives ....'.

Marks are lost by not explaining ...

Thank you :smile:, I will be sure to show all my working!

Quick Reply

Latest