btec or a levels? Watch

emeec
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi! Sorry about this as I'm aware that there are many threads on this but none relating to my situation. I want to study agriculture at uni and have always been pushed to stay at 6th form (i would do biology,history,spanish and possibly chemistry) but after looking into the extended diploma in agriculture I'm unsure on what to do! Any advice? I am quite academic but i would love to get the practical experience given with the btec.
Thank you in advance!
happysmile
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by emeec)
Hi! Sorry about this as I'm aware that there are many threads on this but none relating to my situation. I want to study agriculture at uni and have always been pushed to stay at 6th form (i would do biology,history,spanish and possibly chemistry) but after looking into the extended diploma in agriculture I'm unsure on what to do! Any advice? I am quite academic but i would love to get the practical experience given with the btec.
Thank you in advance!
A-levels, because if you lose interest in agriculture in two years' time you don't want to be stuck with a btec in agriculture. Besides, you can still study agriculture at uni with your current alevel choices, and it give you more options and flexibility
parrot16
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A levels because of the same reason as written above.
Binary Freak
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd agree with the two above. You'd easily get into agriculture with those A-level. It'd be better safe than sorry since you might not have the same interest in two years time and it'd only restrict you to agriculture if you went/go onto do the BTEC.

With regards to the practicals it probably wouldn't be much more than basic gardening. A lot of BTEC courses.. Despite the nature of it being a vocational course it has more theoretical content than practical content.
hycurrie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well you could maybe do a Btec in agriculture. I mean I agree with what is commented above but if you were going to study it in sixthform and get bored then atleast you would know that you shouldn't do it at uni. Maybe just do 4 courses (including the Btec) for the first year and that leaves you with the flexibility to drop one after AS (I think depending on your sixthform), and at the end of the day if you didn't go into agriculture and you did a Btec in it I don't beleive it would be a wasted qualification as it is ucas points at the end of the day. Hope this helps in anyway
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (42)
13.68%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (26)
8.47%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (61)
19.87%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (44)
14.33%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (36)
11.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (98)
31.92%

Watched Threads