The Student Room Group

changing to architecture from psychology

(Sorry if this is the wrong thread btw)I'm currently studying psychology at cardiff university and it's taken me this long to finally admit that i'm not enjoying it at all. I've always had architecture in mind but I thought it was too late to do anything about it. I'm considering leaving cardiff and contacting ucl and portsmouth about studying architecture there. However I feel like my a-levels aren't suitable (sociology, english, psychology) but I got great grades in them. Is it likely that my subjects will hinder my chances? Also, I'm starting a portfolio to apply with but I doubt any university will accept my transfer without the finished portfolio?
Transfer?

Seriously doubt any uni will allow you to transfer into an Architecture course if you are not already studying a very closely related subject, you will undoubtedly have to start in the first year so applying through UCAS as before. However, your finances might well be affected if you have done part of a HE course elsewhere if you have Student Finance, i.e loans, grants, possibly even if from Wales. Also, the uni's you state have a big difference in approach even though the course content may be the same as under RIBA. UCL is very art based, Portsmouth will be less so, its also questionable whether doing an Architecture degree would lead to doing Architecture after Uni as there art based approach is quite of the beaten track. UCL may indeed prefer you to have studied art, other uni's as well, some may accept a decent portfolio, some uni's may not even ask for art, so perhaps look at them. So look carefully at what uni Architecture course you are getting into I would if you do it as you can really get yourself into one otherwise as some are not that great places to study for one reason or another.
Reply 2
Original post by Stewie2011
Transfer?

Seriously doubt any uni will allow you to transfer into an Architecture course if you are not already studying a very closely related subject, you will undoubtedly have to start in the first year so applying through UCAS as before. However, your finances might well be affected if you have done part of a HE course elsewhere if you have Student Finance, i.e loans, grants, possibly even if from Wales. Also, the uni's you state have a big difference in approach even though the course content may be the same as under RIBA. UCL is very art based, Portsmouth will be less so, its also questionable whether doing an Architecture degree would lead to doing Architecture after Uni as there art based approach is quite of the beaten track. UCL may indeed prefer you to have studied art, other uni's as well, some may accept a decent portfolio, some uni's may not even ask for art, so perhaps look at them. So look carefully at what uni Architecture course you are getting into I would if you do it as you can really get yourself into one otherwise as some are not that great places to study for one reason or another.

Thanks for replying. Transfer wasn't the right word to use sorry. I've contacted student finance and I'll still get funded for another 3 years so that's sorted. I've looked into Bath but then their course is very science and engineering based which I dont have the a levels for. Do you have any reccomendations as to which universities are the best to apply to?
Original post by mangostan
Thanks for replying. Transfer wasn't the right word to use sorry. I've contacted student finance and I'll still get funded for another 3 years so that's sorted. I've looked into Bath but then their course is very science and engineering based which I dont have the a levels for. Do you have any reccomendations as to which universities are the best to apply to?

Sheffield don't stipulate what A levels you need. Ditto CSM, London met, Westminster, and Oxford Brookes (just off the top of my head - have a google and see what other schools are out there that don't too, though). If you've got good A level grades and a good portfolio there's no reason you wouldn't get in :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by clareyyyyyyy
Sheffield don't stipulate what A levels you need. Ditto CSM, London met, Westminster, and Oxford Brookes (just off the top of my head - have a google and see what other schools are out there that don't too, though). If you've got good A level grades and a good portfolio there's no reason you wouldn't get in :smile:

thanks for your reply. I've got good grades but no portfolio. Since I can't apply till next year I'm using the year to take art courses and work on my portfolio, maybe do some work experience to at least make sure I've caught up on what I've missed from not doing the right a-levels. I'm mainly focusing on the london area since it's not too far from home. I've heard that whether the uni is russell group or otherwise doesn't really matter as long as its accredited. Is this true?
Thanks for replying. Transfer wasn't the right word to use sorry. I've contacted student finance and I'll still get funded for another 3 years so that's sorted. I've looked into Bath but then their course is very science and engineering based which I dont have the a levels for. Do you have any recomendations as to which universities are the best to apply to?

I'm pretty sure you could still apply now through UCAS for this September through their UCAS extra, clearing,etc. You would beat the School rush at results day if you put in now for places remaining so would stand a good chance. Some places would already be filled up, usually the more popular ones, but before the A level results out many still remain, some though may still ask to see an Art portfolio, some wont. So down to you whether to do art or push for it now. Guessing UCL is already gone as tend to need to apply early for that one from what I hear on here but never have myself. Accreditation is important/vital I would say and of the top of my head Ravensbourne is still not accredited so avoid that one. Greenwich fail a lot of there students each year and hasnt got the name of the UCL so would avoid, UCL also fail many apparently (think at least 50 percent or so but some pass the resits but not fun of course). So remember that time is ticking by so be careful in picking uni's that fail a lot of students as even if oyu try hard you may still fail. UEL is probably much more easier going and may not need Art to get in, but you are likely to get some students that mess around there, though course not all. Westminster & Metropolitan better reputation but will need to work harder (by which I mean most nights, same as UCL etc). Outside of London UWE seems decent, newish facilities, Sheffield is apparently good but Engineering slant perhaps. Main thing is too consider is that some courses, possibly at the lower unis may have some weaker staff, not all will be but are likely to or problems with the course so be careful when you check these out. Hope this helps.

p.s. just thought, be careful as although student finance say you have 3 years (presumably of the 4 total) I don't think they fund the same year over again, i.e. first year twice whether or not on a different course, so 3 years funding from second year, so perhaps check on this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Stewie2011
I'm pretty sure you could still apply now through UCAS for this September through their UCAS extra, clearing,etc. You would beat the School rush at results day if you put in now for places remaining so would stand a good chance. Some places would already be filled up, usually the more popular ones, but before the A level results out many still remain, some though may still ask to see an Art portfolio, some wont. So down to you whether to do art or push for it now. Guessing UCL is already gone as tend to need to apply early for that one from what I hear on here but never have myself. Accreditation is important/vital I would say and of the top of my head Ravensbourne is still not accredited so avoid that one. Greenwich fail a lot of there students each year and hasnt got the name of the UCL so would avoid, UCL also fail many apparently (think at least 50 percent or so but some pass the resits but not fun of course). So remember that time is ticking by so be careful in picking uni's that fail a lot of students as even if oyu try hard you may still fail. UEL is probably much more easier going and may not need Art to get in, but you are likely to get some students that mess around there, though course not all. Westminster & Metropolitan better reputation but will need to work harder (by which I mean most nights, same as UCL etc). Outside of London UWE seems decent, newish facilities, Sheffield is apparently good but Engineering slant perhaps. Main thing is too consider is that some courses, possibly at the lower unis may have some weaker staff, not all will be but are likely to or problems with the course so be careful when you check these out. Hope this helps.

p.s. just thought, be careful as although student finance say you have 3 years (presumably of the 4 total) I don't think they fund the same year over again, i.e. first year twice whether or not on a different course, so 3 years funding from second year, so perhaps check on this.

I've checked with student finance and they will be able to fund the full 3 years of the course. The universities I'm seriously considering other than UCL are Westminster, Kingston and Portsmouth. I've started my ucas application for clearing but even if I don't get in this year, I'm sure I can make the extra year count. Also, would work experience in a firm strengthen my personal statement and chances of admission or do universities not care about it?
(edited 8 years ago)
I've checked with student finance and they will be able to fund the full 3 years of the course. The universities I'm seriously considering other than UCL are Westminster, Kingston and Portsmouth. I've started my ucas application for clearing but even if I don't get in this year, I'm sure I can make the extra year count. Also, would work experience in a firm strengthen my personal statement and chances of admission or do universities not care about it?

Westminster is probably best known there reputation wise with Kingston and Portsmouth roughly of equal reputation. All are a bit arty as far as I hear, think Westminster take a lot of students in each year but may be one you have to work hardest at to pass out of the three. Visited both Kingston and Portsmouth on open days a few years back, both seemed decent enough from brief visit. Kingston though handy for stuff in London, busy area but more vibrant perhaps. Anyway, work experience should enhance your application a great deal as most uni architecture courses like to see this, employers too. Think Art will still be bigger priority though for uni's you've listed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending