My Study Motivation Guide

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
SkyT
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Studying can be a tough ride, especially with the pressure of upcoming exams. As if that wasn’t enough, one is also confronted with many courses that are simply not interesting at all. Not to mention subjects that are more often than not outright unnecessary. All these things can really decrease one’s motivation to study. At least it does for me. My motivation to study was really high when I started with my studies. But sadly, it reached rock bottom several months ago. And so it comes that I had to work myself out of a situation where I felt absolutely depleted of motivation. I’m quite sure that others feel the same every now and then. So maybe someone can benefit from what I have learned and the little tricks I use to increase my motivation to study, which is why I’m writing this thread.

I’m currently studying abroad in Germany and noticed a drastic decrease in motivation after a couple of weeks being there. After all, it’s a totally different culture, people have different attitudes and I’m far away from my family and friends. My lack of motivation had also a lot to do with the fact that many of my subjects are outright boring. I couldn’t stand it, which is why I started researching on the Internet what I could do to change the situation. My research yielded some good results, so in the following I want to address how I implemented all these things into my life.

But first, I have to give credit where credit is due as I found one particular website that was very helpful for me and my motivation problem. It’s an article discussing various methods to increase study motivation with about 300+ likes on Facebook and 200+ comments (I think I'm not the only one who found this article useful). (Considering the amount of Facebook shares and comments on that site I hope that I am allowed to consider it as a credible source and link to it. Mods: please inform me if I’m not allowed to do so and I will remove it immediately. Just found it necessary to give credit, as I do not want to act as if this man’s ideas are my own). So what I want to address in the following is of course not entirely my own and has influences from the source mentioned in the above.

My study motivation guide

Rewards [the carrot-and-stick approach]

Now, as I already mentioned I was confronted with a lot of theoretical subjects that I was not really interested in. As a result, my motivation to study for the exams was extremely low. Whenever I tried to start with the exam preparation, something more interesting came along the way and diverted my attention. I simply could not get myself to pick up my study materials. It wasn’t possible.

I solved this issue by choosing a nice reward that I would only get if I managed to pass all the exams with good grades. It had to be a very special reward that I wanted so much that it would get me to study extremely hard in order to receive it. After thinking for a while I found such a reward. And with that reward everything changed. Suddenly, I was no longer studying for the sake of the subject that I wasn’t even interested in, but I did everything I could in order to achieve my gratification. The reward did not stir up my interest in the subject, but it increased my motivation to study whatever was necessary to achieve my aim.

I boosted my motivation even more by assuring that I would not permit myself to receive the reward if I failed.

Distractions

Every student knows this feeling just too well: you study when all of a sudden you get this amazing idea what you could do instead of studying. Sometimes it’s just watching your favorite TV series. Other times it’s just the idea of taking a watching spree of random YouTube videos. Whatever it is, once you started it’s so difficult to get back to what you had planned to do.

You might ask yourself what distractions have to do with study motivation. At first sight: not too much. But think about it, all these fancy things distract you, reduce your focus and what is even worse they also decrease your strife for studying. Who wants to study when there are numerous other activities that seem by far more promising and interesting than studying does?

What I did was this: I set myself a given period of time during which I would not allow any kinds of distractions from keeping me from studying. That means that I had to force myself to start working as soon as the clock hit 10 o’clock at that particular day. But it worked and I was quite amazed about the amount I was able to study without being distracted.

Get a wingman or a wingwoman

Wouldn’t it be awesome if there was someone that pushes you whenever you are not motivated to study? Find a couple of people from your course and ask them if they want to hang out and study. Getting together with other students from your class can be really helpful. If you manage to find some ambitious students you can really push each other’s motivation. Plus, really boring topics become a little bit more interesting or even funny when you have someone around you.

Setting a regular study session with my fellow students has really helped me to a great degree. We would set learning objectives, which increased my obligation to them. Even if I did not feel like studying, I would give my best to achieve the learning objective. I guess my feeling of accountability to the group increased my motivation to study as well.

Music

Why don’t you use music to push your motivation to study? Did you notice that most people that are running or exercising have earplugs so that they can listen to their favorite tunes? Why should we not do the same when it comes to studying?

When I’m not quite feeling like studying, I force myself to turn up the volume with some pretty uplifting songs. In fact, I often use my regular workout music to get me excited for studying. This might sound ridiculous, but it works for me.

An example of such a song is this one:

I don't know how to embed the video here, so in the following is just a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcf4Wyf520A

Mods: I hope it's okay to link to YouTube. If not please just remove the link.

Oh and by the way, turn the music off once you start studying.

No motivation? Who cares!

The most important tip I can give you when you face a lack of study motivation is this one: just ignore it, drag yourself up and force yourself to open your books.

How many countless hours have I spent in front of the television or online trying to ignore my duties? The longer I prolonged the less motivated I became. Sometimes you will just have to get going in order to get going.

Motivating movies for students

I'm not sure if this is just because I am abroad, but somehow I have the feeding that watching inspiring movies about studying has helped me greatly in finding the right motivation. These movies are:

• Dead poets society
  • Good Will Hunting
  • School of rock
  • Freedom writers
  • Stand and deliver
  • The great debaters
  • Lean on me
  • The paper chase

The end

What are your tricks to increase your motivation to study?

Maybe we can create with this thread a nice little resource for others students to come so that they can find effective ways to increase their study motivation with all our tricks combined.

Toy Soldiers
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
I love this thread! Thanks for sharing your motivational tips.

What I do is post lots of Motivational Quotes on my wall and even on the ceiling, so as soon as I get up in the morning, there's a quote on my ceiling telling me that "the first hour of the morning is the rudder of the day". When I get up, there's another quote on the wall that says "If you do what you always did, you will get what you always got".

I guess it helps and it's better to do a bit of revision as soon as you get up rather than scrolling through your Facebook Newsfeed or going through YouTube videos.
codle
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Re listening to music, I find I get distracted if I've been listening to something and then turn it off to study because it's suddenly so quiet. But at the same time, I get distracted if I'm listening to my favourite songs because I end up singing along...
One solution is searching for things like 'study music' or 'background music' on youtube. The other is listening to the soundtracks of computer games, which are designed to make you focus
BCMFM16
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Just think of the idea ...

failing=
no university place=
less opportunities to gain notable qualifications
less employable=
less likely to get a job=
less likely to earn money=
less likely to have any food=
more likely to become ill from having no food=
more likely to die.

Study kids
username1862217
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Aye, alternating between group study and individual study is a great way to stay motivated as well as fill in each other's weaknesses. A solid timetable for revision and breaks is also very effective - 1 hour revision, 30 minutes break, repeat. Eat, walk, watch youtube, relieve yourself, in the 30 minute breaks. It's easy to do an entire day's study using this method.

I will admit though, the rewards method has never actually worked for me :\ It just distracts me or makes me push too hard.

Never tried the music technique. Will give that a go.
SkyT
Rep:
(Original post by Toy Soldiers)
I love this thread! Thanks for sharing your motivational tips.

What I do is post lots of Motivational Quotes on my wall and even on the ceiling, so as soon as I get up in the morning, there's a quote on my ceiling telling me that "the first hour of the morning is the rudder of the day". When I get up, there's another quote on the wall that says "If you do what you always did, you will get what you always got".

I guess it helps and it's better to do a bit of revision as soon as you get up rather than scrolling through your Facebook Newsfeed or going through YouTube videos.
I'm glad you like it.

Your idea of posting motivational quotes all around your room is excellent. I totally forgot about this one, but it is so great. I will try it out as well.
SkyT
Rep:
(Original post by codle)
Re listening to music, I find I get distracted if I've been listening to something and then turn it off to study because it's suddenly so quiet. But at the same time, I get distracted if I'm listening to my favourite songs because I end up singing along...
One solution is searching for things like 'study music' or 'background music' on youtube. The other is listening to the soundtracks of computer games, which are designed to make you focus
Great suggestions. Your idea about background music sounds great, I will give it a shot.
SkyT
Rep:
(Original post by BCMFM16)

failing=
no university place=
less employable=
more likely to die.

Study kids
Okay yes that's also a possibility to motivate oneself and it works. :-)
SkyT
Rep:
(Original post by Keyhofi)
Aye, alternating between group study and individual study is a great way to stay motivated as well as fill in each other's weaknesses. A solid timetable for revision and breaks is also very effective - 1 hour revision, 30 minutes break, repeat. Eat, walk, watch youtube, relieve yourself, in the 30 minute breaks. It's easy to do an entire day's study using this method.

I will admit though, the rewards method has never actually worked for me :\ It just distracts me or makes me push too hard.

Never tried the music technique. Will give that a go.
I think breaks are crucial to prevent one's motivation from decreasing. So what you say is absolutely right. If one studies too intensive it can drain all your energy.
Captain Jack
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Great post SkyT, I've just moved it into the Revision & Study Tips forum for you as that's the best place for it really
Jack
SkyT
Rep:
(Original post by Captain Jack)
Great post SkyT, I've just moved it into the Revision & Study Tips forum for you as that's the best place for it really
Jack
Thanks a lot. I really had no idea where to post this on this huge forum.
AngelStarfire
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BCMFM16)

failing=
no university place=
less employable=
more likely to die.

Study kids
I like that idea to help study,even though it made me chuckle it could come in handy to help motivate others.
thesyndicate
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
As Motivational Speaker Shradda Prasad once said — “Self-motivation and self-control are Key to success in this competitive world.” I struggle with motivation but have since been using the tips to help motivate myself and I've managed to pass all my papers with an
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (76)
18.86%
The paper was reasonable (152)
37.72%
Not feeling great about that exam... (114)
28.29%
It was TERRIBLE (61)
15.14%

Watched Threads