What problems do you have with your party?

Watch
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Very few voters will agree with everything their chosen party says and does. There are always some that they disagree with, and the whole thing involves compromise.

I was just wondering something. Those of you who know who you'll be voting for, what problems do you have with your chosen party or candidate? Which of their policies do you not​ agree with?
JoeL1994
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I more or less agree with most things UKIP says, the only major problem I have with the party are the members who have not been weeded out who are out and out racists and embarrass not just the party but every member and voter who put their faith in them.
RF_PineMarten
Rep:
?
(Original post by JoeL1994)
I more or less agree with most things UKIP says, the only major problem I have with the party are the members who have not been weeded out who are out and out racists and embarrass not just the party but every member and voter who put their faith in them.
I agree with some UKIP policies, but the first thing which made me step back and take a closer look was their poor climate change policies. Their last manifesto included actual climate change denial of the conspiratorial nature, which really threw up a red flag. They seem to have toned that down in the latest manifesto, but their policies on climate change are still very poor in my opinion.

I'm not decided though. I probably won't be voting because I have major disagreements with all of them. That's why I started this thread, to see what disagreements actual decided voters have with their chosen party.
JoeL1994
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RFowler)
I agree with some UKIP policies, but the first thing which made me step back and take a closer look was their poor climate change policies. Their last manifesto included actual climate change denial of the conspiratorial nature, which really threw up a red flag. They seem to have toned that down in the latest manifesto, but their policies on climate change are still very poor in my opinion.

I'm not decided though. I probably won't be voting because I have major disagreements with all of them. That's why I started this thread, to see what disagreements actual decided voters have with their chosen party.
Climate change doesn't really rate too highly on my issues. I think it needs to be addressed, but not yet. Social mobility and the equality are far more important which I think can be achieved by moving towards a right libertarian stance.
Sam280297
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As a UKIP supporter, I don't like the 'climate change doesn't exist' feeling that some of the members give off.
Also, the small minority of members that are racist really piss me off, and it gives the party a bad name, when in reality, 99% of members aren't racist
DarkMagic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The party I'll vote for don't take their seats.:rolleyes:
jm4425
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DarkMagic)
The party I'll vote for don't take their seats.:rolleyes:
You do realize that in a Westminister if a party won't take their seats they pretty much have no way to enforce any policy. So you'll effectively be voting for an empty chair.
DarkMagic
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jm4425)
You do realize that in a Westminister if a party won't take their seats they pretty much have no way to enforce any policy. So you'll effectively be voting for an empty chair.
Which is exactly the problem I have. On the other hand, it's also one less vote for policies I don't agree with.
jm4425
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Which is exactly the problem I have. On the other hand, it's also one less vote for policies I don't agree with.
In the house of commons it's also one less vote needed to pass policies you don't like. At least if the party took their seats they could try and make a difference.
DarkMagic
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jm4425)
In the house of commons it's also one less vote needed to pass policies you don't like. At least if the party took their seats they could try and make a difference.
I agree with you but I'll probably still vote for them because the alternatives are to vote for parties that have no chance of getting in, or voting for one that will cosy up to the Conservatives.
Europhile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't have a party. I pledge no strict allegiance to any party. I hope Plaid win as many seats as possible in Wales as they're the only party with Welsh interests at heart. I agree and disagree with all the parties on something or other.
nicatre
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree with pieces of most of the parties but unfortunately none in their entirety
jm4425
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree with you but I'll probably still vote for them because the alternatives are to vote for parties that have no chance of getting in, or voting for one that will cosy up to the Conservatives.
Depends on the constituency I suppose. Where I am from we have a strong SDLP representative who works with Labour so I know that my vote will help prevent another Tory government.
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I identify in the main with the Lib Dems.

Almost all of my disagreement with them arises in the area of constitutional reform, especially House of Lords reform where I would prefer the retention of hereditary peers and other unelected Lords.

I also find their name irritating. 'Liberal Democrats' sounds self-satisfied and it also sounds vague compared to the confidence of the other party names. I would like the party to assume 'Liberal' again.
jm4425
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I personally love the SDLP but they don't have many charismatic leaders and don't seemed to get their message across as well as other parties.
_icecream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think Labour should be more strict with EU immigration and immigration in general they should stop giving out benefits to EU migrants so no housing benefits/no child benefits/no benefit top ups
RF_PineMarten
Rep:
?
(Original post by nicatre)
I agree with pieces of most of the parties but unfortunately none in their entirety
Examples? Could you go through a few parties and say what you don't like about them?
ManicPumpkin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My main issue with the SNP is that they seem to have trouble defending decisions they make e.g cutting college places or providing explanations e.g as to why A&E departments in Scotland are failing to meet waiting time targets.

Constantly during FMQs whenever these topics are brought up (usually by Labour's Kezia Dugdale) Nicola Sturgeon fails to give an acceptable answer and always blames the past Labour administration. All I want is for Nicola/The SNP to offer explanations and then hopefully ways in which to tackle these problems
Comeback
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll probably be supporting the Liberal Democrats.

The major problem I see is that the party, while having good intentions, never appears to argue strongly, persuasively or passionately enough for them. They need a backbone and a drive - I feel like they're just crossing their fingers for minimal losses.

I agree largely with their social policies, enough to persuade me away from the Conservatives, but I feel like it needs some new blood.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My problem is that the Monster Raving Loony Party are not standing in my constituency. If only I could afford the deposit and some money for campaigning.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (49)
31.41%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.18%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.15%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.97%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
26.28%

Watched Threads