Jasminee_03
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What are some quotes to show how Shelia is selfish and spoilt in An Inspector Calls?
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jasminee_03)
What are some quotes to show how Shelia is selfish and spoilt in An Inspector Calls?
Heya, I'm going to put this in the English forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=82
thewishfulwriter
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I haven't studied the play since GCSE so don't remember any specific quotes. However, one particular part of the play that springs to mind is the way Sheila reacted to Eva Smith and asking for her to be fired. Perhaps even her showing off about being engaged?

But you could contrast this with how she changes as a character towards the end of the play and becomes less selfish -- she feels guilty about what she did and remains concerned (unlike her parents) even after discovering the Inspector and the crime to be fake.
Jasminee_03
Rep:
?
(Original post by thewishfulwriter)
I haven't studied the play since GCSE so don't remember any specific quotes. However, one particular part of the play that springs to mind is the way Sheila reacted to Eva Smith and asking for her to be fired. Perhaps even her showing off about being engaged?

But you could contrast this with how she changes as a character towards the end of the play and becomes less selfish -- she feels guilty about what she did and remains concerned (unlike her parents) even after discovering the Inspector and the crime to be fake.
Thats what my plan was but i cant find any specific quotes to show how shes selfish in the first place :s
thewishfulwriter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thats what my plan was but i cant find any specific quotes to show how shes selfish in the first place :s
I'll have a look and get back to you in a bit
Miss.Unknow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have to get off my lazy ass and look fro quotes, one sec okay XD
Miss.Unknow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
‘Oh-its wonderful! Look- Mummy- isn’t it a beauty? Oh - darling - [She kisses Gerald hastily]’ -P5
'I couldn’t be sorry for her.' P24
'I told him that if they didn’t get rid of that girl, I’d never go near the place again and I’d persuade mother to close our account with them’ -P24
'I was absolutely furious I was very rude to both of them.' -P24
http://www.oxnotes.com/
thewishfulwriter
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"Go on Mummy, you must drink to our health" (mummy sounds like a phrase used by a spoilt/rich girl (or childishness) and 'our health' implies selfishness??

(Sheila is a pretty girl in her early twenties, very pleased with life and rather excited) -- arguably the stage directions show her to be fortunate, therefore spoilt??

'And so you used the power you had, as a daughter of a good customer and also of a man well-known in the town, to punish the girl just because she made you feel like that?'

Her change is portrayed through:

'but these girls aren't cheap labour - they're people'
maryb123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
she is also seen as selfish as when the inspector tells her about the death of eva she says that i wish you wouldn't have told me thus suggesting that she would have rather not heard about evas death because it ruined her day
Jasminee_03
Rep:
?
(Original post by Miss.Unknow)
‘Oh-its wonderful! Look- Mummy- isn’t it a beauty? Oh - darling - [She kisses Gerald hastily]’ -P5
'I couldn’t be sorry for her.' P24
'I told him that if they didn’t get rid of that girl, I’d never go near the place again and I’d persuade mother to close our account with them’ -P24
'I was absolutely furious I was very rude to both of them.' -P24
http://www.oxnotes.com/
Thank you soo much this is super helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (360)
45.45%
No (84)
10.61%
I'm not old enough (348)
43.94%

Watched Threads