The Student Room Group

5 best UK universities? (Excluding Oxbridge)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChickenMadness
haha sure

:biggrin: which year are you in?
Original post by XOR_
:biggrin: which year are you in?

2nd year I'm on the game art course.
2nd year I'm on the game art course.

Nice, I was actually surprised to hear they beat Gnomon this year.
I was there just before UE4 was accessible, you lucky *******s! :tongue:.
Original post by KardasDragon
Imperial
LSE

These are the only ones which will in 99% of cases be the best for your subject after Oxbridge. They have no weak programmes (Unlike UCL, KCL, Durham). That being said, students are often unhappy at LSE so that shows they are likely a very postgrad focused university. A uni that doesnt care about its students isnt so great imo.

So I'd actually go ahead and say only Imperial is a worthy alternative. It gets far too subject specific after that. Mayybe Warwick, but I dont know enough about their engineering department to say its not another UCL in that regard.

LSE force you to take modules in Brainwashing studies. They take payments from the most corrupt regimes in the world who are using propaganda rather successfully to bring down the western world.
Whilst nearly all universities commit this sin It is particularly bad at LSE.
In years to come if the Western world somehow manages to survive, They will be one of the biggest shames of our nation.

Suffice to say I will not be giving my tuition money their.
LSE, UCL, IMPERIAL, WARWICK, KCL everything else is ****

Note: KCL is crap imo but my opinion doesnt matter. Its rep is good in the UK and internationally and attracts the smartest of individuals
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XOR_
Nice, I was actually surprised to hear they beat Gnomon this year.
I was there just before UE4 was accessible, you lucky *******s! :tongue:.

Ye that surprised me as well. Gnomons been the best for ages.
lel. how long ago was that?
Ye that surprised me as well. Gnomons been the best for ages.
lel. how long ago was that?

Over 3 years ago, (graduated 2013).
(edited 7 years ago)
Imperial
LSE
Durham
UCL
Bristol

Surely Bristol does better overall in terms of its courses than Warwick, Edinburgh, St Andrews, KCL???
(edited 6 years ago)
LSE
UCL
Imperial

I don't know the other 2.
Why warwick is considered better than manchester and kcl, even edinburgh and almost on par with ucl? According to QS,THE,ARWU etc it is behind them by a considarate margin.(even on prospects and rep it is below these on QS/THE) (It is also a bit below bristol too.) If it actually competes with these shouldn't it be like top 20-25 in all of these rankings instead of like 60th-90th? Same goes for Durham and mostly for St.Andrews. I know rankings are not the be-all end-all but it still seems a bit bizarre to me. :unsure:
Original post by Beerus
Why warwick is considered better than manchester and kcl, even edinburgh and almost on par with ucl? According to QS,THE,ARWU etc it is behind them by a considarate margin.(even on prospects and rep it is below these on QS/THE) (It is also a bit below bristol too.) If it actually competes with these shouldn't it be like top 20-25 in all of these rankings instead of like 60th-90th? Same goes for Durham and mostly for St.Andrews. I know rankings are not the be-all end-all but it still seems a bit bizarre to me. :unsure:

That's cause TSR consists of mostly undergrads who prioritise selectivity and reputation above world rankings (which is mostly based on research). Undergrads do not contribute to research at the university so they can't brag about that. King's and Manchester are not selective/do not typically attract academically amazing students so are not regarded highly. Of course, certain courses within both universities are selective (e.g. Physics at Manchester or Law at King's), but on the whole, the university is not regarded as a place where academically able students go to.
Original post by Luke7456
LSE force you to take modules in Brainwashing studies. They take payments from the most corrupt regimes in the world who are using propaganda rather successfully to bring down the western world.
Whilst nearly all universities commit this sin It is particularly bad at LSE.
In years to come if the Western world somehow manages to survive, They will be one of the biggest shames of our nation.

Suffice to say I will not be giving my tuition money their.

Gadaffi was *years* ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Gadaffi was *years* ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you mean Gadaffi went their or donated money their?

I have heard they have always taken money from corrupt regimes.

you know when corporations donate money to universities its not really because they care about the education of young people unconnected to them.
When corrupt governments donate to universities its not because they care about education either. Its because the whole system is bent. and they are buying favors.
you mean Gadaffi went their or donated money their?

I have heard they have always taken money from corrupt regimes.

you know when corporations donate money to universities its not really because they care about the education of young people unconnected to them.
When corrupt governments donate to universities its not because they care about education either. Its because the whole system is bent. and they are buying favors.

I'm sure you can Google it.
Original post by ffspr0pect
That's cause TSR consists of mostly undergrads who prioritise selectivity and reputation above world rankings (which is mostly based on research). Undergrads do not contribute to research at the university so they can't brag about that. King's and Manchester are not selective/do not typically attract academically amazing students so are not regarded highly. Of course, certain courses within both universities are selective (e.g. Physics at Manchester or Law at King's), but on the whole, the university is not regarded as a place where academically able students go to.

Many academically able students attend Manchester and KCL.
I'm sure you can Google it.

could you ring pizza hut for me and find out if they do any deals on beef chicken and mushroom pizza with barbercue chicken wings as a side?
could you ring pizza hut for me and find out if they do any deals on beef chicken and mushroom pizza with barbercue chicken wings as a side?

You are the one interested in alleged corruption at LSE so you are the one who needs to do proper research and not just use hearsay.
You are the one interested in alleged corruption at LSE so you are the one who needs to do proper research and not just use hearsay.

i read about it somewhere way back I wasn't expecting to get in a debate on this as I thought it was common knowledge,

Anyway I guess I can add this to the list of threads I plan to make when I recover from this bug. If I ever recover from this bug.
first threads will be
1. Why I am convinced we live in a computer simulation and our reality is just computer code
2. Why I hate Scotland and am furious we never got a referendum on kicking them out of the UK I still want this
3. Why I hate the left.
4. thread on my arch nemesis the Nazi Vegan and how I can strike back when I got money. I am thinking of hiring a private detective in the future to track him down and dig up whatever dirt I can and then strike with that.but this is just ideas. or there is what the security guard at my old uni told me about that is a great way of getting revenge on anyone. I cant say what it is so that wont make the thread.
5. I could do my summer poker blog as a thread but probs not.
6. Oh yeah I need to make a thread on irritable bowel syndrome as well apparently I have that.
so I guess corrupt unis would be my seventh thread.

I ordered the Beef Chicken and Mushroom Pizza with Barbecue chicken wings as a side ohh and wedges.

they bring pepsi as well I probably could have got a better meal deal if you had bothered to google around pizza places for me like Papa Johns and Dominos etc.

I should not be eating this with my bug but I had not had carbs for ages until recently when I had to live of just bread so I wanted a change.
Apart from Oxbridge if only 5 to be chosen then

1. LSE
2. Imperial
3. UCL
4. Warwick
5. KCL

But if categorizing by tier then

1. LSE Imperial
2. UCL Warwick
3. Durham Bristol St.Andrews Edinburgh KCL
4. Manchester Bath Nott Exeter York
5. Glasgow Birmingham Leeds SOTON QMUL