The Student Room Group

5 best UK universities? (Excluding Oxbridge)

Scroll to see replies

bristol or exeter economics? help i cant chose!!!!
Original post by Mr. Roxas
Who cares what your opinion or ranking is. You are in India and you have never been to the UK, let alone, studied in the UK. Your opinion and views don't mean anything to TSR members, because, obviously, you do not know what you are talking about.

:rofl:
Original post by Okorange
He is Harvey Specter from Suits. Its a TV shows about corporate lawyers.

But u not studying law

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AsandaLFC
But u not studying law

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol
Reply 84
Original post by beardedlondoner

Bristol.
Original post by beardedlondoner

Exeter. Better course, better job prospects.
Original post by octopauly
Exeter. Better course, better job prospects.

You jest surely? Bristol has always and will always be better at Econ. Last time I checked, the representation of Exeter grads in IB is nowhere near Bristol's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
You jest surely? Bristol has always and will always be better at Econ. Last time I checked, the representation of Exeter grads in IB is nowhere near Bristol's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Overall figures are hardly relevant, I don't believe what you're saying is true at all for recent graduates. Besides, neither are exactly targets for IBs. Then there is the (surprising for people on this forum) fact that not everybody is looking for IB work.

Bristol's economics department is getting poorer and poorer really, if not for the uni's reputation this wouldn't even be a question.
Original post by Mr. Roxas
Agreed.

There's no way KCL is more prestigious than either Durham or St Andrews. Maybe you meant slightly more popular, but not necessarily more prestigious. If anything, I'm inclined to believe that the reverse is more likely true. Look at the quality of the student intake at both Durham and St Andrews -- it's substantially of higher quality than of KCL's signifying that both Durham and St Andrews can attract better students, which thereby also signify that the former two are more prestigious, as prestige is oftentimes synonymous to better quality, or in this case, better student intake.

They might be able to attract better students at present, but that has only really been the case since the A* came on board in 2010/2011. They take on a relatively small pool of students, and mainly for less important degree subjects.

KCL is one of the World's top universities, and part of the golden triangle. Their annual budget far exceeds that of Durham or St Andrews, and they are at the forefront of medical education. If you asked the department for education, they'd say KCL was far more prominent than the other two.
Original post by studyworm
They might be able to attract better students at present, but that has only really been the case since the A* came on board in 2010/2011. They take on a relatively small pool of students, and mainly for less important degree subjects.

KCL is one of the World's top universities, and part of the golden triangle. Their annual budget far exceeds that of Durham or St Andrews, and they are at the forefront of medical education. If you asked the department for education, they'd say KCL was far more prominent than the other two.

Its only part of the golden triangle because its in London, its sort of the awkward stepsister of the rest of the golden triangle.

You are trying to compare a uni with a med school to unis that don't even have a full medical school... Besides King's Med is not ranked very well in the league tables, it has a low entry tariff for medicine and the lowest student satisfaction in the UK for medicine.
(edited 9 years ago)
Its only part of the golden triangle because its in London, its sort of the awkward stepsister of the rest of the golden triangle.

You are trying to compare a uni with a med school to unis that don't even have a full medical school... Besides King's Med is not ranked very well in the league tables, it has a low entry tariff for medicine and the lowest student satisfaction in the UK for medicine.

I do not trust subject league tables, and I do believe KCL is a much more powerful institution that Durham, particularly in research and income. The media and Sky news are much more likely to approach experts from KCL than Durham.

Can you can name one prestigious degree course that Durham offers other than Law?
London Met
Bedfordshire
London South Bank
Leeds Trinity
Greenwich
Original post by Flather
London Met
Bedfordshire
London South Bank
Leeds Trinity
Greenwich

South Bank below Bedfordshire? you are joking surely? South Banks media studies department is unrivaled!
I do not trust subject league tables, and I do believe KCL is a much more powerful institution that Durham, particularly in research and income. The media and Sky news are much more likely to approach experts from KCL than Durham.

Can you can name one prestigious degree course that Durham offers other than Law?

kcl is nowhere close to being one of the "worlds" top unis, ger the kcl cap off your head please, its rated as ok by any student outside kcl, nothing more. why is the third oldest uni in the country so so far behind oxbridge? its barely top 10 for the vast majority of people, dont compare it to ucl and lse please thats embarassing
Original post by RuneScaper
South Bank below Bedfordshire? you are joking surely? South Banks media studies department is unrivaled!

The reputation of PE at Bedfordshire for me really drags it up
Original post by Flather
The reputation of PE at Bedfordshire for me really drags it up

Maybe but South Bank's sport science reputation is no joke and gives it some edge compared to the likes of London Met and Bedfordshire.
Original post by JakeyKakey
Well how else are you going to argue one is better than the other if you've experienced neither?

The league tables are an unreliable load of *******s for reasons which have been repeatedly and thoroughly discussed on this site.

Being at one uni at least makes it a lot easier to cross-reference with the other.

Meanwhile people on this site couldn't make a credible argument for comparing KCL to Durham and those two are a good twenty league places apart.

Exactly, no one should be able to talk about anything they haven't personally experienced. For example, a doctor should not be allowed to help someone with cancer unless they've had cancer themselves. A judge shouldn't be allowed to give a sentence unless they have committed the crime they are sentencing for.
We already have a top 10 that is pretty much agreed on... I would probably go with the above poster's choices though.

Agreed on by who? People on here spend endless hours discussing which unis are the "best".
Original post by welcometoib
kcl is nowhere close to being one of the "worlds" top unis, ger the kcl cap off your head please, its rated as ok by any student outside kcl, nothing more. why is the third oldest uni in the country so so far behind oxbridge? its barely top 10 for the vast majority of people, dont compare it to ucl and lse please thats embarassing

I don't care what some students think, I only care what the World of academia and business thinks. KCL is ranked 15th in the World by the QS World rankings. It is embarrassing to try and put Durham anywhere near KCL for academic prestige, as Durham has none. All Durham has is a Cathedral, a graveyard and a small castle with twin rooms and rubbish facilities for washing.

Durham arts is good. Idk, while I personally can't I know that Durham is stronger all around.

KCL probably has more experts but that is because KCL has more researchers and has more research.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending