NUT Press Release on Performance Related Pay

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Derek McMillan
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
What follows is a quote from an NUT press release. The fact it is a quote is indicated by the >

[q1]>NUT urges profession wide boycott of performance related pay, payment by results[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Following the announcement by the two head teacher organisations of a ballot for a boycott of[/q1]
[q1]>arrangements for teachers¹ performance related pay, the NUT has urged the two organisations to join[/q1]
[q1]>it in a profession wide boycott of the scheme.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>The NUT believes that acting together, the teachers¹ organisations can achieve a guarantee from the[/q1]
[q1]>Government of funding to ensure that all teachers who meet the criteria for PRP improvements do, in[/q1]
[q1]>fact, receive the payment.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>In a letter to the general secretaries of the NAHT and the SHA, Doug McAvoy, NUT General Secretary,[/q1]
[q1]>emphasised that the fundamental issue was wider than simply funding for this year.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>³The historic decision of the headteachers to consider industrial action opens the way for a[/q1]
[q1]>profession wide boycott which could get rid of the Government¹s unfair and inequitable system of[/q1]
[q1]>performance related pay, payment by results.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>³Unlike crossing the threshold, progression through the upper pay range is to be subject to the[/q1]
[q1]>discretion of governing bodies. In addition, the Government has failed to set aside specific[/q1]
[q1]>funding to cover the cost of such movement. As a result, performance related pay advancement hinges[/q1]
[q1]>on calls for other, unrelated, expenditure by schools rather than on whether or not an individual[/q1]
[q1]>teacher has met the criteria.²[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Currently, the Government is refusing to fund the additional payments and is instead leaving it to[/q1]
[q1]>school governing bodies ³if they judge that this is their priority². In these circumstances, the[/q1]
[q1]>additional payments to teachers would be competing against other calls on school budgets.[/q1]

----------------------------------------
http://www.geocities.com/derekmcmillan1951 You can contact me by email or ICQ 87147116
John Griffiths
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
[q2]> >Following the announcement by the two head teacher organisations of a[/q2]
ballot
[q2]> >for a boycott of arrangements for teachers¹ performance related pay, the[/q2]
NUT
[q2]> >has urged the two organisations to join it in a profession wide boycott[/q2]
of
[q2]> >the scheme.[/q2]

Huh! I knew everyone would come around to my way of thinking in the end. I've been boycotting it
from the start.

John
Dave C
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
By not performing?

Dave C

"John Griffiths" <
[q1]> Huh! I knew everyone would come around to my way of thinking in the end. I've been boycotting it[/q1]
[q1]> from the start[/q1]
John Griffiths
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
"Dave C" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> By not performing? [/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Dave C[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "John Griffiths" <[/q1]
[q2]> > Huh! I knew everyone would come around to my way of thinking in the end. I've been boycotting it[/q2]
[q2]> > from the start[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

heh, heh. Actually, that's not too far from the truth. I've not been performing in the ways they
would like (I've stayed true to my principles of good 'performance' though).

John
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (92)
27.22%
No (246)
72.78%

Watched Threads